PDA

View Full Version : Drivers License Refused in NJ

plassey
08-25-2007, 02:12 PM
And they say why Albert Pinto "Plassey" is an angry man?

My current H1 is expiring soon. My 3 year H1 extension is pending. I had receipt notice but NJ DMV at Wayne refused to accept that. My current License is valid only till the middle of the next month.
Any body in the same boat? What shall I do?

bkr
08-25-2007, 02:20 PM
Yes, I am also in the same boat. Filed my 9th year extension in March, responded RFE during 1st week of August. Mine will be expiring in 3 more days. Hoping to get the extension soon.

jasmin45
08-25-2007, 02:24 PM
I have been thru this situation and luckly got the H1 extention on time to get it renewed the day it was suppose to expire.. I am sure this is going to be a problem for a lot of people in comming days due to mountain of applications to be processed by uscis.

shreekhand
08-25-2007, 02:25 PM
As a time gap arrangement see if you can get your license from your home country.

Worst case if asked by a cop atleast you will have that.

Yes, I am also in the same boat. Filed my 9th year extension in March, responded RFE during 1st week of August. Mine will be expiring in 3 more days. Hoping to get the extension soon.

plassey
08-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Unfortunately, I can't leave the US for the following reasons
a) AOS pending
b) H1 expiring soon
c) Won't get any vacation time as just joined a new job.
As a time gap arrangement see if you can get your license from your home country.

Worst case if asked by a cop atleast you will have that.

inspectorfox
08-25-2007, 02:50 PM
I will be in the same boat if I don't see my 9th year H1B extension before end of next month. NJ DMV must have some interim provision for individuals like us.

plassey
08-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Unfortunately not that I know of. I even talked the supervisors.
I will be in the same boat if I don't see my 9th year H1B extension before end of next month. NJ DMV must have some interim provision for individuals like us.

shreekhand
08-25-2007, 03:01 PM
I only meant if you have the native country license already or if you can get it remotely. Leaving the US for the express purpose of getting you native country license would be an overkill...as you would agree :)

a) AOS pending
b) H1 expiring soon

akgind
08-25-2007, 03:11 PM
This is a problem because the DL people do not understand the immigration law. I was in a similar situation 2 years ago in Iowa. Tried to explain to the manager of the office, but got a lecture on how good their public transport system is. Then I went to another DL office in a rural county. The counter clerk refused, asked to see the supervisor who agreed to extend for 6 months by which time my extension came through.

natrajs
08-25-2007, 03:11 PM

My current H1 is expiring soon. My 3 year H1 extension is pending. I had receipt notice but NJ DMV at Wayne refused to accept that. My current License is valid only till the middle of the next month.

My friend was in a similar situation last yr, He took his all his documents to Trenton DMV and they have given him 90 days extension.

Try that, Good Luck

Other Option is convert your H1 Extension to premium and get the approval before your H1 expiration date

H1ZONE
08-25-2007, 03:46 PM
I think you should go to either Eatentown( Exit 105 on GSP). Before they started accepting all immigrant applications at all DMVs they used to ask every one to go there. I think you may be able to get a temporary extension for month or two.

diptam
08-25-2007, 04:08 PM
This strategy worked for lot of folks. But there are some States like CO where no DMV office understands our problem - NJ is not like that at all.

Good Luck !

My friend was in a similar situation last yr, He took his all his documents to Trenton DMV and they have given him 90 days extension.

Try that, Good Luck

Other Option is convert your H1 Extension to premium and get the approval before your H1 expiration date

gcphul
08-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Hey Guys,

I had same suitation 2 years back. I have been to Regional DMV in Trenton they refused and then I went to Edison DMV my DL renewd for 3 months with receipt #. The Lady at desk shown me the copy of some Rule has a provison that DL can be renew based on Receipt# with employer letter.Once we get the approval we have to go DMV and renew again based on new i94date.

here are the step to follow.

1) Go to Edison DMV near Pathmark Complex( i think its middlesex complex).

2) Get a letter from Employer saying that ur been with so and so years and filed h1 extension with receipt#. ( Orginal Letter from Employer not Xerox copy). They will take the letter.

3)Orginal Recepit showing proof of H1 extension and take a couple of Xerox copies they may take one of them.

4) Passport (Orginal just in case if they ask u)
5) SSN( Orginal Just in case if they ask u).

Good Luck guys

pappu
08-25-2007, 05:49 PM
All of you please contact your local newspaper and TV stations and tell them about your plight. This will be a good story you should highlight and will help you and everyone else in your state.

plassey, bkr, jasmin45 since you are the people suffering, you can take the lead on this and contact local reporters. IV can help you with the interviews. Please update your profile too.

plassey, bkr, jasmin45 please post on this thread if you are willing.

saimrathi
08-25-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm in the same boat. PA DoT wants to see visa stamp on the passport.. applied for 1st 3 year extn at VSC on 7/10, will up it to PP this week... anyone in PA got their DL renewed using RN... please specify how and where??

gccube
08-25-2007, 09:33 PM

that when you apply for a H1 extension, until USCIS comes back with a decision, the current H1 is automatically extended for 240 days. When I was in a similar situation the DMV told me either to bring the original receipt notice or original approval notice. If we take the Original receipt notice then they said would extend the DL by 240 days, if we take the original approval notice it is extended till the H1 expiration date.

This is not a legal advise or suggestion, use it at your own risk. This is just what I went through.

karl65
08-25-2007, 10:10 PM
I can't believe how dummy is the DL system in NJ:confused:.

I live in Illinois and I could get my DL farther than my H1B due date. I have renewed my H1B twice and my DL is due next year.

teachamerica07
08-25-2007, 11:30 PM
Go to the Trenton DMV . Take your ORIGINAL receipt and a letter from your employer . They will give you extension for 240 days . I got it done in May 2007.The draft of the employer's letter is as follows

To,
The Motor Vehicle Commission

I hereby certify that ________________ is currently employed by ____________ and has been employed since ______________.

I certify that, on ______________, I filed an H1B petition extension and application for extension of stay on behalf of this individual (see attached receipt notice from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)).

Pursuant to 8 CFR 274a.12(b)(20), this individual is authorized to continue employment with ____________ for a period not to exceed 240 days beginning on the date of the expiration of the authorized period of stay (as indicated on the immigration documentation).

I further certify that if I receive that the USCIS had denied the application prior to the 240 day period and if <name, Driver license number>, ceases to be employed by ________________ during the 240 day period, I will notify the Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC), in writing as soon as practicable. I will send such notice to:

Legal & Regulatory Affairs Unit
Motor Vehicle Commission
PO Box 162
Trenton, NJ 08666-0162

Sincerely,

Signature of
individual certifying
the information

Print Name & Title

vaishalikumar
08-26-2007, 03:04 AM
Did u visit PennDot office to inquire about the renewal of DL with receipt notice of H1b extension or AAA office can be of any help ?

I'm in the same boat. PA DoT wants to see visa stamp on the passport.. applied for 1st 3 year extn at VSC on 7/10, will up it to PP this week... anyone in PA got their DL renewed using RN... please specify how and where??

bah9422
08-26-2007, 10:13 AM
I have got renewed my NJ license while my H1 extension was pending. I did it at eatontown location. They asked for original receipt notice. Trenton location also does it. Probably there should be a location in north jersey which accepts the original receipt notice.
hope this helps.
thanks

WaitingForMyGC
08-26-2007, 12:17 PM
In Michigan they don't even look at your visa to renew your license.

bagha
08-26-2007, 12:21 PM
...try there. I got my license from Wayne showing my receipt notice.
Note: there're 2 DMVs in Wayne. Go to the regional centre (on RT 23)

mybid2003
08-26-2007, 01:03 PM
a) AOS pending
b) H1 expiring soon

I am in a similar situation. My 8th year H1B expired in May. 9th Year extension is pending. No receipt yet on 485/EAD/AP for Julay 2nd filing.

Fortunately my license is expiring next year.

skdskd
08-26-2007, 01:58 PM
My drivers License is expiring 01/01/2008 , My H1 expires on 03/20/2008.

So will I just get drivers license extended till that

bkr
08-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Thank you, I will try this approach.

Go to the Trenton DMV . Take your ORIGINAL receipt and a letter from your employer . They will give you extension for 240 days . I got it done in May 2007.The draft of the employer's letter is as follows

To,
The Motor Vehicle Commission

I hereby certify that ________________ is currently employed by ____________ and has been employed since ______________.

I certify that, on ______________, I filed an H1B petition extension and application for extension of stay on behalf of this individual (see attached receipt notice from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)).

Pursuant to 8 CFR 274a.12(b)(20), this individual is authorized to continue employment with ____________ for a period not to exceed 240 days beginning on the date of the expiration of the authorized period of stay (as indicated on the immigration documentation).

I further certify that if I receive that the USCIS had denied the application prior to the 240 day period and if <name, Driver license number>, ceases to be employed by ________________ during the 240 day period, I will notify the Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC), in writing as soon as practicable. I will send such notice to:

Legal & Regulatory Affairs Unit
Motor Vehicle Commission
PO Box 162
Trenton, NJ 08666-0162

Sincerely,

Signature of
individual certifying
the information

Print Name & Title

bkr
08-26-2007, 04:14 PM
GO to Trenton DMV (theoritically every DMV), they will give you a DL till 6/20/2008. Due to these delays in H1b Extensions, NJ DMV's extending the DL another 90 days expecting that will suffice

My drivers License is expiring 01/01/2008 , My H1 expires on 03/20/2008.

So will I just get drivers license extended till that

ameryki
08-26-2007, 07:46 PM
i just saw this on sahara one..the commisioner of DOT of NJ is a desi.....

jfredr
08-26-2007, 07:53 PM
NJ DMV realy sucks people are really bad they are very unfriendly people i have seen in any department.

ivofindia
08-26-2007, 08:46 PM
PennDot Issued 1 year driver's license for both me and my wife. We took H1B 8th year original receipt notice, original employer verification letter and passports. PennDot issued 1 year license based on that. Everything took less than 15 minutes.Please make sure your employer verification letter states your employment duration i.e. how long your company intents to employ you.

saimrathi
08-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Which center did u visit in PA?? I'm from PA also DL expires 9/30/07 along with H1..

PennDot Issued 1 year driver's license for both me and my wife. We took H1B 8th year original receipt notice, original employer verification letter and passports. PennDot issued 1 year license based on that. Everything took less than 15 minutes.Please make sure your employer verification letter states your employment duration i.e. how long your company intents to employ you.

ivofindia
08-26-2007, 11:29 PM
River Front Harrisburg branch

memyselfandus
08-27-2007, 09:52 AM
The best thing about PA is through online.

Visit the below link
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/driverLicensePhotoIDCenter/renewNonCommercials.shtml

and click on renew online. Here you have to enter your details and pay through credit card. You will receive the confirmation letter (DL60A/DL60R) through regular mail with in 10 days. Take the letter and go to the DMV for photograph.

The photograph folks don't ask any immigration documents, just the SSN original card. That's it.

saimrathi
08-27-2007, 11:13 AM
I beg to differ.. My PA DL is based on my Work Visa, hence it expires on the day my visa expires.. I tried to renew online and the system said since you are not a citizen u have to go to the DL Center for a renewal... Maybe your DL is from the time you were student or otherwise...

The best thing about PA is through online.

Visit the below link
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/driverLicensePhotoIDCenter/renewNonCommercials.shtml

and click on renew online. Here you have to enter your details and pay through credit card. You will receive the confirmation letter (DL60A/DL60R) through regular mail with in 10 days. Take the letter and go to the DMV for photograph.

The photograph folks don't ask any immigration documents, just the SSN original card. That's it.

msandhu
08-27-2007, 11:30 AM
I agree with you. PenDot does not give online extension for non-immigrants(if it was mentioned originally that you are foreigner when you first got your license). Also they extend visa for H1 only after you get approved extension letter in hand. They do not accept receipt notice. I think they accept i-485 receipt notice to extend you Driving license though.

saimrathi
08-27-2007, 11:31 AM
You mean extend DL when you have H1 Extension approval notice...?

I agree with you. PenDot does not give online extension for non-immigrants. Also they extend visa for H1 only after you get extension letter in hand. They do not accept receipt notice.

rbkrao
08-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Hi,
I am in the same boat my DL will expire on sept 30th. went to Hackensack/Lodi DMV. They extended till Jan 10th 08.

Best thing is do not depend on one DMV. try different places. in some DMVs the officers are not aware of our situation.

good luck
Bala

small2006
08-27-2007, 12:38 PM

Try Trenton.

gc4sk
08-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Hi rbkrao,
Did you show them original receipt notice or photo copy? Was there problem in getting the renewal?

Thanks,
gc4sk

summitpointe
08-27-2007, 02:03 PM
PA,

If you go for reneval you should have atleast one year validity in your I-94. Other wise they may not extend.

NJ,

You can get 90 days extn by explaining the situation

logiclife
08-27-2007, 02:09 PM

A growing number of states now refuse to issue driver's license beyond the validity of I-94. that means that until your H1 extension is approved, you wont get it, because the new I-94 with new dates will come only after your extension is approved.

Now, in Arizona, they accept receipt of H1. In Nevada they dont. Other states have other rules. I know only about these 2.

You can upgrade your H1 to premium filling out a form and it will get approved in 7-10 days. Your employer should bear the expense of premium filing because the employer procrastinate and delay filing of extensions even though its possible to file extension 6 months ahead of expiration date. That procrastination should cost the employer or the lawyer, whoever caused the delay.

You cant blame DMVs for asking for latest I-94. That is the only way they can make sure they are not issuing driver's license to those who overstayed their visas and became illegals. The blame here lies at the feet of employers and lawyers who delay filing extension till the last moment. USCIS gives H1 extension in usually 3-4 months. If everyone filed 6 months ahead of expiry, there is no problem.

Sometimes the government does all it can, and it is possible to avoid all pain if right things are done. But people never easily admit their own mistakes of procrastination and then blame USCIS. USCIS and DMVs of states are totally ok on this issue, in my opinion.

gemini23
08-27-2007, 02:17 PM
my friends licence has been invalid for about 2 months now. now he got the H1 extension approval he is waiting for. can he get his DL extension just by showing the h1 extension. or does he have to give the road test again. He lives in NJ.

deecha
08-27-2007, 02:18 PM
In Michigan they don't even look at your visa to renew your license.

I got my license renewed for another 4 years by mail, in Michigan. No questions asked. Good till 2011. Go Michigan ... :D

makemygc
08-27-2007, 02:26 PM
A growing number of states now refuse to issue driver's license beyond the validity of I-94. that means that until your H1 extension is approved, you wont get it, because the new I-94 with new dates will come only after your extension is approved.

Now, in Arizona, they accept receipt of H1. In Nevada they dont. Other states have other rules. I know only about these 2.

You can upgrade your H1 to premium filling out a form and it will get approved in 7-10 days. Your employer should bear the expense of premium filing because the employer procrastinate and delay filing of extensions even though its possible to file extension 6 months ahead of expiration date. That procrastination should cost the employer or the lawyer, whoever caused the delay.

You cant blame DMVs for asking for latest I-94. That is the only way they can make sure they are not issuing driver's license to those who overstayed their visas and became illegals. The blame here lies at the feet of employers and lawyers who delay filing extension till the last moment. USCIS gives H1 extension in usually 3-4 months. If everyone filed 6 months ahead of expiry, there is no problem.

Sometimes the government does all it can, and it is possible to avoid all pain if right things are done. But people never easily admit their own mistakes of procrastination and then blame USCIS. USCIS and DMVs of states are totally ok on this issue, in my opinion.

What if DMV refuses to renew the license if I-94/H1 is extended for 1 year (mostly in the case of H1 extension beyond 6th year) but is not stamped on your passport. This happened with me. DMV officer insisted on visa stamped on my passport and he was not ready to accept the I-797 form which I was showing. Finally, I've to go to other DMV and count on my luck to get my license renewed.
This is a as much a problem with DMV as a problem with employees. I did not 100% agreed with your comments that it's a problem with an employer. Now a days even filing 6 months prior to expiration is not guranteed to give you a timely approval.
In Florida, no matter if you have 1 yr or 3yrs I-94/Visa, they only issue you a license for 1 year. Period. Florida..anyway sucks.

Also, can someone tell me, once you get an EAD, can we use that to get the license renewal?

gemini23
08-27-2007, 02:51 PM
makemygc, i think you got a bad dmv officer who did not know anything about 797. When I was in FL i renewed my DL many times showing 797.
Did not have any issues.

and yes, EAD can be used to renew DL.

What if DMV refuses to renew the license if I-94/H1 is extended for 1 year (mostly in the case of H1 extension beyond 6th year) but is not stamped on your passport. This happened with me. DMV officer insisted on visa stamped on my passport and he was not ready to accept the I-797 form which I was showing. Finally, I've to go to other DMV and count on my luck to get my license renewed.
This is a as much a problem with DMV as a problem with employees. I did not 100% agreed with your comments that it's a problem with an employer. Now a days even filing 6 months prior to expiration is not guranteed to give you a timely approval.
In Florida, no matter if you have 1 yr or 3yrs I-94/Visa, they only issue you a license for 1 year. Period. Florida..anyway sucks.

Also, can someone tell me, once you get an EAD, can we use that to get the license renewal?

logiclife
08-27-2007, 02:52 PM

Yes, I agree with you. Asking for valid visa stamp is too much, the latest I-797 and latest valid I-94 should be enough to get driver's license, because latest valid I-94 proves that you are legal and that's enough. Passport stamp is not neccesary to prove legal status.

The sad part is that employers should get involved with state legislature and state regulators, DMV etc to make sure their foriegn workers have ability to get driver's license based on approved I-797. Its a mess.

ajju
08-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Need Approval in Hand.. Receipt Notice Does not work in most of the states and new states are adding this as requirement every month...

I had similar issue for my spouse on H4. Was out of license for about a month... It would be a good issue to be brought up at Sep 18 Rally and added to core issues handled by IV in general. Lots of future immigrants are facing this.. But we need a collective voice as usual with any immigrant issue to get a resolution.. More and more states are joining to make Driver License as your "Immigration Status Document" causing "LEGAL to work but NOT LEGAL to drive" situation....

ashres11
08-27-2007, 03:29 PM
If you take your I140 approval to NJ DMV, They will get you driving license renewed. Not sure about timing. But one of my friends got 3 years license on based of I-140 approval.

americandesi
08-27-2007, 03:41 PM
The reason why most people end up with such situations is that the employers don’t file for H1 extensions on time. Though the law allows filing of H1 extensions upto 6 months before its expiry, most employers file for extensions only at the last moment. It’s advisable to go for premium processing in such cases, so as to get the approvals on time.

gcisadawg
08-27-2007, 03:50 PM
In Maryland, they didnt ask for any document when I took my about to be expired DL to the MVA (Motor vehicles Admin) last year. The guy said as long as you have $30, we would renew your expired license!

However, getting a new DL for my wife was a nightmare. We had to schedule an
appointment through a phone line which worked only two or three days in a month! After many tries, we gave up!

smisachu
08-27-2007, 03:51 PM
I assume you might have gone to Rt 23 DMV, try Rt 46 in Wayne. They are more considerate. I had my DL expiring in April 07 but my H1 was Valid till Sep 07 (the DMV officer had a made a mistake in 04 by putting the wrong experation date when I went to update my DL with Motorcycle endorsement. When I pointed this out he said I still have almost 3 years so come back then:mad:) . I went to Rt 46 Wayne and the lady renewd mine till Dec 07. 90 days more than the valid dates on H1. She said she has already included the grace period which is avaliable in situations of visa renewal so I can renew my visa and get back to them in time. This shows that there is a provision for 90 day grace period.

Try Trenton if Rt 46 in Wayne fails. Best of luck.

smisachu
08-27-2007, 03:56 PM
The reason why most people end up with such situations is that the employers donít file for H1 extensions on time. Though the law allows filing of H1 extensions upto 6 months before its expiry, most employers file for extensions only at the last moment. Itís advisable to go for premium processing in such cases, so as to get the approvals on time.

You can apply H1 extn earlier than 6 months. Mine was expiring in Sep 07. I applied on Jan 5th 07. Got 7-8-9 year extn in April.

heywhat
08-27-2007, 04:00 PM
our immigration department told me that as per USCIS regulation they can not apply earlier than 6 month of expiry date

Strange...

You can apply H1 extn earlier than 6 months. Mine was expiring in Sep 07. I applied on Jan 5th 07. Got 7-8-9 year extn in March.

manishcp
08-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Would you ask your friend Which DMV location he used?

ashres11
08-27-2007, 04:21 PM
It's kilmer, Edison

pappu
08-27-2007, 04:34 PM
our immigration department told me that as per USCIS regulation they can not apply earlier than 6 month of expiry date

Strange...

Apply on the date your 6 months are left. Use the couple of months before that to follow up with your employer and Lawyer and get all paperwork done and application packet ready. If lawyer or the employer is slow, then one needs to push them since ultimately you are going to be affected and nobody else.

The onus is on the H1B worker to be diligent and not leave everything to the last few months. DMV is only following the rules. Maybe some of them are not aware of the rules. The issue of not getting license despite H1B approvals, and H4s not getting DL is something one can take up as an issue with media and authorities. But just because the person did not bother to get the H1B extended until the last moment cannot be an excuse for relief when we approach the authorities.

skodu
08-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Oregon DMV is little lenient on this matter, but they see only the expiry date on Passport visa stamp. Oregon will issue license till one year after expiry date on the Visa stamped on passport in conjunction with the H1 extension approval notice. So all these original H1 extension approval will not be considered if passport visa stamp expired more than a year. We have to go to Vancouver, B.C to get visa stamped and come back.

California accepts the I-94 extensions in the H1 extension approval notices (That's 3 years back, but they keep on changing rules every month and the California DMV services are not fast enough). Also some times the information from USCIS will be hanging if you have extensions. But if you go out of country and come back with fresh I-94, the information is validated within 5 minutes electronically. DMV staff are more considerate in California.

vaishalikumar
08-27-2007, 05:55 PM
I am also in PA and my DL(driving licence) will expire in last of September month and my H1b extension is still pending at California Center . Can i get DL renewed from PENNDOT on the basis of Receipt Notice of H1b Extension and a letter from employer ?

vaishalikumar
08-27-2007, 05:56 PM
I am also in PA and my DL(driving licence) will expire in last of September month and my H1b extension is still pending at California Center . Can i get DL renewed from PENNDOT on the basis of Receipt Notice of H1b Extension and a letter from employer ?

swadeshi
08-27-2007, 06:09 PM

I was in the same situation, waiting for my L1 extension to come through and license was to expire on Aug 30th, went to 2 DMV's in different counties both had a different reason to say NO!!! One thing they had in common was that they need a letter from employer and also that they need the original receipt notice applied for the extension, I took them to a different DMV in Bergen county (one of the adjacent counties to mine) and had to speak to the supervisor who was a little confused and i told her that my cousin got his DL extended for 8 months while his visa extn was pending then looked up something okayed the extn...man it was terrible time running around...some of the DMV's were so bad the supervisors were out right rude did not even want to refer to their logs or whatever, well there is a provision for DL's to be extended for 8 months or 240 days while visa extn is pending, so try talking to superviosrs at DMV. Good luck...

inspectorfox
08-27-2007, 06:11 PM
Apply on the date your 6 months are left. Use the couple of months before that to follow up with your employer and Lawyer and get all paperwork done and application packet ready. If lawyer or the employer is slow, then one needs to push them since ultimately you are going to be affected and nobody else.

The onus is on the H1B worker to be diligent and not leave everything to the last few months. DMV is only following the rules. Maybe some of them are not aware of the rules. The issue of not getting license despite H1B approvals, and H4s not getting DL is something one can take up as an issue with media and authorities. But just because the person did not bother to get the H1B extended until the last moment cannot be an excuse for relief when we approach the authorities.

In some situations you would want to delay filing of your H1 extension.
I did exactly this as my I140 has been delayed in background check since October 2006. I did not want to rush with filing my H1 extension as I could benefit from getting a 3 year extension instead of 1. Unfortunately USCIS never took a decision on my I-140 case till date even after I upgraded to premium processing in June. I filed for my H1B extension in regular processing on the very last day hoping I would see a I140 approval.

sammyb
08-27-2007, 06:11 PM
Last year when I converted my out of state DL to a NYS DL, the DMV gave me a 5 year valid license (expiring on my DOB on 5th year i.e. in 2011) but on the fornt of the DL mentioned in BOLD RED the epriery of my I-797 date as 'TEMP VISITOR EXP.'.

So guess I am good till 2011 ...

cjagtap
08-27-2007, 06:35 PM
I will be facing the same prob if i dont get my extension in-time. At least EADwill work,meanwhileI am filing for my H1B extension ,but dont want to spend another 1000$ just to expedite the process for DL...
let me know what is the best plan in such case...

aeroterp
08-27-2007, 06:49 PM
I can confirm that DC allows you to renew online without looking at your immigration status. If you live in DC, make sure you renew online as I got it renewed for 4 years online.

smisachu
08-30-2007, 11:51 PM

Strange...

No, I am positive. My H1 was expiring 9/21/2007. I applied on 01/05/2007. Received 3 year approval in April 2007.

guyfromsg
08-31-2007, 12:16 AM
Is this renewal, delay etc..affect the Auto insurance renewal if that's also expiring at the same time?

bkr
08-31-2007, 01:01 AM
GO to Trenton DMV (theoritically every DMV), they will give you a DL till 6/20/2008. Due to these delays in H1b Extensions, NJ DMV's extending the DL another 90 days expecting that will suffice

Thank you Pappu and Teachmeamerica07. Luckily my H1 got approved after responding to the RFE in the first week. Hoping to get the papers by next week.

Wish you all the best for those who are experiencing this problem.

GC_Optimist
08-31-2007, 10:13 AM
Is it possible to get Drivers license extended based on 485 receipts and EAD card. ?

Wendyzhu77
12-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Actually, contrary to your understanding, I think the officers denying the DL application understands immigration law. Submitting an extension application absolutely does not mean you have had the extension, since it might be well rejected. Issuing the DL can only be based on approved documents.
Your luck actually lies on meeting some officer who does not understand immigration law, or any law, thus give you a chance to slip through.
This is a problem because the DL people do not understand the immigration law. I was in a similar situation 2 years ago in Iowa. Tried to explain to the manager of the office, but got a lecture on how good their public transport system is. Then I went to another DL office in a rural county. The counter clerk refused, asked to see the supervisor who agreed to extend for 6 months by which time my extension came through.

bobzibub
12-31-2007, 12:48 AM
http://ntl.bts.gov/faq/intdl.html

I got mine at a local automotive ass'n before heading to Europe....

chakdepatte
12-31-2007, 09:51 AM
if you take your h1 renewal reciept they are suppose to give an interim date. I had the same problem in Columbus, OH.
H1 expired awaiting h1 renewal for 3 years (as I40 approved). First they denied. then i politley asked the DMV guy if he could drop me and pick me up and my wife from work everyday.
he asked me to get the renewal notice, letter from employee and intent to work further with the employee.
they gave me a 6 months dirvers licence.

and believe me, i dont think DMV guys know any happenings that impacts h1 guys. its the citizen law or illegal immigrant law and we get caught in the cross fire.

next time give them the immigrationvoice.ORG URL and ask them to educate themselves.

all the best.

gcwait2007
12-31-2007, 11:35 AM
Texas is a great state...No hassle. My first H1-B is expiring in Feb 2008 and they renewed my driving licence for 5 more years till my birth day in 2013.

frankiesaysrelax
12-31-2007, 12:42 PM
When my H1 was pending, I got a 3 month extension based on the receipt notice and a letter from my company. The DMV needs to see your original I-94 which is expiring or expired to ensure that the entry to the country was legal. This was at the Trenton DMV.

BTW, NJ DMV also tries to interpret immigration laws, incorrectly in my opinion. When I and my wife went back to renew again beyond the 3 month period, I was not carrying my H1 approval notice while my wife was carrying her H4 approval notice (longer story, not relevant). The DMV refused to renew her's based on *her* approval notice saying "She is H4 and she is a dependent". We probably need a immigration lawyer with us to get our driver's license now. In the end, I used my EAD along with SSN proof and we both got our licenses renewed. But otherwise the Trenton DMV is very helpful and seem to understand the immigration documents very well. Also if anybody is visiting the Trenton DMV specifically, if you dont have the SSN card with you, the SSN office is a only a short distance away and you can get a printout from the SSN office verifying your SS#. Printed directions courtesy the DMV staff.

I distinctly felt unwelcome in this country having seen other times when renewing a license was not such a hassle. This is the twilight zone for people who are genuine and caught in the immigration whirlpool.

small2006
12-31-2007, 12:43 PM

Try the TRENTON office. They are pretty cool. It may work there.

msandhu
12-31-2007, 01:28 PM
If you have applied for 485, you can get DL extension for 1 year based on receipt notice of I-485
Cheers
MSandhu

gotgc?
12-31-2007, 05:14 PM
a) AOS pending
b) H1 expiring soon

If you have applied for AOS in July 07, you probably would have got your EAD by now. Why dont you use your EAD to get a DL renewed?