PDA

View Full Version : visa stamping in chennai consulate - passport return delay

fide_champ
12-11-2007, 11:33 AM
I went for the visa stamping in chennai consulate on Dec 5th. After a few questions, the officer granted me the visa and said i will receive the passport in a few days. But so far haven't yet received my passport. Does anyone know what is happening? is anyone faced such situation before? I heard about this admin processing and delays in stamping but i thot the officer would usually give out some kind of form to you during the interview if your case goes thru such processing.

The web-site says we can send an e-mail to the consulate regarding any questions for NIV if it's pending more than 5 days. Has anybody done that and what would be the response?

Please respond. i am running short of time as i have to travel back to US soon.

deardar
12-11-2007, 11:37 AM
Dont loose heart, usually in December things seem slow. Even I had delay experience few years ago

fide_champ
12-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Dont loose heart, usually in December things seem slow. Even I had delay experience few years ago

Thanks deardar but at this point i need more than just words of encouragement.

deardar
12-11-2007, 11:58 AM
No one know what goes in the consulate office but what you can do is call the local vfs office and tell them what happend and ask them to see if the consulate has handed out ur PP to the couriour company. They might have some information for you.

sunny1000
12-11-2007, 12:15 PM
I went for the visa stamping in chennai consulate on Dec 5th. After a few questions, the officer granted me the visa and said i will receive the passport in a few days. But so far haven't yet received my passport. Does anyone know what is happening? is anyone faced such situation before? I heard about this admin processing and delays in stamping but i thot the officer would usually give out some kind of form to you during the interview if your case goes thru such processing.

The web-site says we can send an e-mail to the consulate regarding any questions for NIV if it's pending more than 5 days. Has anybody done that and what would be the response?

I went for stamping last month. It took the consulate 2 days to deliver it to VFS. I collected it at their Gopalapuram office. So, if you had gone on the 5th, it would have been the 7th or may even be the 8th by the time VFS received it. Since you did not collect it at their office, it would have been mailed via courier that same day. Now, it is up to the courier company to deliver it ASAP (blue dart, I think). Call VFS and ask them if they received it from the Consulate. They are very professional. If they have not, then, it is still sitting in the consulate and can be due to this new rule which I have posted in a different thread:

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16031

BharatPremi
12-11-2007, 12:17 PM
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16031

vactorboy29
12-11-2007, 01:35 PM
We had similar problem in 2004 .Actual mess was created by VFS .Check your online status,I think you can use your passport number to track your passport. In our case passport was transfer to different vfs office .after three days they return our passport to Mumbai consulate ,this hole process took us more than week to get passport in our hand.Dont get panic...

palemguy
12-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Same situation happened to myfather. He attenede visitor visa interview. VO told him that he will be getting passport in a week. But we waited for more than 10 days. When we checked online status, address in VFS was wrong. So it went to wrong address.

Call VFS customer service. customer service is really good.They can help you to get the passport to ur correct address.
Hope it helps you.

bc_rp
12-11-2007, 03:08 PM
The reason for your delay is because of a new rule instituted by the consulates. Here is a extract from MURTHY.com on that topic.

PIMS Verification Required for Certain Nonimmigrant Visas
Posted Dec 07, 2007
和urthyDotCom
The U.S. Department of State (DOS) issued a directive in November 2007 to the U.S. consular posts that the correct procedure for visa issuance in nonimmigrant categories H, L, O, P, and Q will now require consulting an electronic record. The purpose of the Petition Information Management Service, known as PIMS, is to verify that the employer's underlying petition has been approved by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Even if a beneficiary takes an original I-797 approval notice to the interview, previously sufficient basis for visa issuance, s/he now will have to wait until the information is confirmed through PIMS.
和urthyDotCom
Not Fully in Place, but Verification May Be Effective Immediately
和urthyDotCom
While nonimmigrant visa appointments can be scheduled on the basis of approved I-129 petitions and I-797 approval notices, per the DOS instructions now in place, no visas may be issued without verification through the PIMS system. Because no further guidance from the DOS has been issued as of this writing, some consular posts are taking the position that the new directive is effective immediately.
和urthyDotCom
48 Hours for New Approvals to be Available in PIMS
和urthyDotCom
Seeking clarification on the new electronic record visa issuance procedure, the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) contacted DOS officials who indicated that, as of November 29, 2007, the data on approvals had not been electronically transferred. Where consular notification is requested, however, information on new approvals should be available in PIMS within 48 hours.
和urthyDotCom
Domestic Clearinghouse Option for Verification
和urthyDotCom
DOS has stated that, in the event that an overseas consular post cannot obtain verification of an approved petition through PIMS, it may submit a request through a domestic clearinghouse that can confirm with USCIS that a petition has been approved. The DOS, however, has failed to indicate the processing time for such a request or the number of cases it anticipates may not currently appear in PIMS.
和urthyDotCom
Conclusion
和urthyDotCom
How quickly or efficiently the new verification process through PIMS will work remains to be seen. Visa applicants who may be affected by this new process are encouraged to plan well in advance of their visa appointments so that they are prepared if the visa issuance takes longer than expected. We will continue to share updated information with MurthyDotCom and MurthyBulletin readers on developments regarding this new system.

waitin_toolong
12-11-2007, 03:09 PM
it has not been a whole week yet so have a heart. Did you try to track the passprt from the vfs site

fide_champ
12-11-2007, 06:30 PM
it has not been a whole week yet so have a heart. Did you try to track the passprt from the vfs site

The VFS website says the consulate is still holding the passport. My wife also applied for H1B on the sameday/sametime and she got her passport within 3 days. I doubt i am stuck because of this new PIMS rule. Should i send an e-mail to the consulate to confirm it?

Desertfox
12-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Why dont you call VFS and find out what's happening and if they can help you to resolve this?

The VFS website says the consulate is still holding the passport. My wife also applied for H1B on the sameday/sametime and she got her passport within 3 days. I doubt i am stuck because of this new PIMS rule. Should i send an e-mail to the consulate to confirm it?

fide_champ
12-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Why dont you call VFS and find out what's happening and if they can help you to resolve this?

I might have more information than VFS. The VFS agents don't know what's happening in the consulate. The agents doesn't know more than what is already present in the VFS website.

guyfromsg
12-11-2007, 10:33 PM

I went for stamping Nov 2006 and mine was also stuck for a week. I don't remember what the rules are now but I just called consulate and talked to some officer (Indian but not VFS). She simply said that they are waiting for security clearance from Washington DC and they won't know when it will clear. I was expecting the worst, may be few months delay but it came after a week. I kept calling during this time. But during that week I was very worried and as a result didn't enjoy the limited vacation :(.

sunny1000
12-12-2007, 04:22 AM
I might have more information than VFS. The VFS agents don't know what's happening in the consulate. The agents doesn't know more than what is already present in the VFS website.

ok...call the consulate and ask what is going on.. or send an email.

garamchai2go
12-13-2007, 11:18 AM
I was also in same situation. My stamping was done on 6th Dec and so far I did not get the passport. Vfs website says "Your passport has not been handed over to VFS. Kindly contact our regional call centres for further queries." I just sent an email to 'ChennaiNIV@state.gov' and 'infouschennai@vfshelpline.com' ..Waiting for their reply..

jingi1234
12-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Was this the first attempt to get to USA? OR

were you working in USA and went for a visting to INDIA?

I was on F1 (to OPT to H1b) and planning to visit india in January,. I have to go for stamping.

Thanks

garamchai2go
12-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Was this the first attempt to get to USA? OR

were you working in USA and went for a visting to INDIA?

I was on F1 (to OPT to H1b) and planning to visit india in January,. I have to go for stamping.

Thanks
I was on L2 here and went to India for H1 stamping. I have EAD and AP thru my spouse AOS sponsorship. Since I want to retain my H1 status I went for H1 stamping. No questions related to job..more about my spouse AOS..officer told me visa is granted and it is almost 1 week and no change in passport status on vfs site. I am bit worried..i will call consulate tonight..

jingi1234
12-13-2007, 08:41 PM
garanchai2go: did you get your passport yet?

fide_champ
12-13-2007, 09:24 PM
I collected my passport with the visa stamped yesterday from the VFS center in chennai. I sent an e-mail on tuesday to the consulate and i got a response from them saying it could take another 4 days approx and the delay was caused by the recent change and the introduction of the PIMS database. It looks like they are digging through your old records as well.

For those people whose passports have been delayed, it's most probably due to the PIMS database and i suggest strongly to send an e-mail with the subject line "PASSPORT PENDING for more than 5 days" and you would most often get the response the next day. Do not call the consulate as they don't tell you what you want to hear. The person who answers the call is an indian and he/she would not have much information to give you.

sunny1000
12-13-2007, 09:49 PM

garamchai2go
12-13-2007, 10:50 PM
garanchai2go: did you get your passport yet?

Nope. I sent an email to Consulate. Tried reaching them..but no luck. VFS asked me to check back at 3:30 pm IST again..it seems they get the passport from consulate at 3:30 pm every day. Keeping my fingures crossed.

garamchai2go
12-13-2007, 10:53 PM
I collected my passport with the visa stamped yesterday from the VFS center in chennai. I sent an e-mail on tuesday to the consulate and i got a response from them saying it could take another 4 days approx and the delay was caused by the recent change and the introduction of the PIMS database. It looks like they are digging through your old records as well.

For those people whose passports have been delayed, it's most probably due to the PIMS database and i suggest strongly to send an e-mail with the subject line "PASSPORT PENDING for more than 5 days" and you would most often get the response the next day. Do not call the consulate as they don't tell you what you want to hear. The person who answers the call is an indian and he/she would not have much information to give you.
Could you please let me know when was your visa appointment and how many days it took before you got your passport. Mine was 6th Dec and no update from consulate yet.

sureshn22
12-13-2007, 11:04 PM
Hi

My wife appeared for Visa interview on 6th and yet to receive the passport. we booked tickets for this weekend and seems we have to reschedule. I sent a mail to NIV and no response as of now.This is of concern. can anyone tell me about the normal turnaround time for H4 Visas these days?

Suresh

garamchai2go
12-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Hi

My wife appeared for Visa interview on 6th and yet to receive the passport. we booked tickets for this weekend and seems we have to reschedule. I sent a mail to NIV and no response as of now.This is of concern. can anyone tell me about the normal turnaround time for H4 Visas these days?

Suresh

I just got hold of one of the consulate staff and she told me that they are having some problem with PIMS database for background check and there is delay in processing passports. The lady I spoke assured me that, latest by Mon/Teusday of next week, we can expect passport. I will try to reach vfs in the evening and see what they say..

consulate number to reach 91-44-2811-2000 and ask to connect to visa section

fide_champ
12-14-2007, 12:36 AM
Could you please let me know when was your visa appointment and how many days it took before you got your passport. Mine was 6th Dec and no update from consulate yet.

It took 7 working days for me to get the passport back. My wife also applied for H1B and it took only 2 days for her. I think it differs by case and how complicated your situation is. The reports in murthy said they should have every information after 2004 in PIMS database. Any query for the record before 2004 may not be present and it takes a couple of days atleast to update the database if a query is made. It's better if you have atleast 10 days time after the visa interview.

The officer questioned me about my employer in US during the year 1999-2000. So it is entirely possible that they may check your old H1s/L1s etc., So plan accordingly to avoid any further grief.

fide_champ
12-14-2007, 12:41 AM
Hi

Suresh

It is very important to put proper subject in your e-mail. Please refer to the chennai consulate website for more information. Because of the volume of e-mails they'll be getting, they don't respond to normal e-mails. I got the response the next day. I don't know if i am a isolated case but it doesn't hurt to follow the instructions in the website.

garamchai2go
12-14-2007, 07:04 AM
It is very important to put proper subject in your e-mail. Please refer to the chennai consulate website for more information. Because of the volume of e-mails they'll be getting, they don't respond to normal e-mails. I got the response the next day. I don't know if i am a isolated case but it doesn't hurt to follow the instructions in the website.

The email response I got from consulate says following:
>>>
Thank you for your e-mail.

Our records show that because of the recent changes implemented in processing the H1b visas, your cases are being delayed. Your petition information has to be verified in the PIMS database before the visa could be adjudicated. It will take approximately another 5 more work days. Thank you for your patience.
>>>

Then I called the consulate officer and she told me that if I dont recieve passport by next Wednesday, then give a call. My case is not complicated..no issues with H1..no questions asked about my employer..just only about my spouse AOS..and I have AP, EAD which means they should have my background information already. I feel like I unnecessarily went to visa stamping. It is taking more than 2 weeks, after visa stamping, to get passport back..so going to India for 1 month vacation with visa plans is very risky..

Will let you know once i receive my passport.

jingi1234
12-14-2007, 09:38 PM
with all the sescenarios, We can't collect stamped passport on the same dat at chennai? - Is this correct?

while booking appointment I said I will collect my passport at local VFS office.

?

psczd4
12-14-2007, 10:21 PM
I am planning to get my visa stamped at the chennai consultate in January 2008. I will be visiting for 3 weeks and was wondering whether such a situation will persists during the month of January...

Thanks,

pshaikh
12-15-2007, 09:19 PM
I am planning to get my visa stamped at the chennai consultate in January 2008. I will be visiting for 3 weeks and was wondering whether such a situation will persists during the month of January...

Thanks,
Yes - although we never know for sure, chances are high that the situation will stay this way until mid-2008 when they expect to build a central, electronic verification system.

I have created a separate thread below - where people can list the actual delays experienced (time between interview date, and passport return date) - so we can have a better idea of what's happening on the ground. If any of you have info to share, please do so below:

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16145

psczd4
12-17-2007, 02:52 AM
Thanks pshaikh for your feedbac and ur efforts on creating a thread for tracking..

desixp
12-17-2007, 06:51 AM
Hi,

I am also struck in the same situation. My Interview was done on 7th Dec and so far I did not get the passport. Vfs website says "Your passport has not been handed over to VFS. I sent an email to 'ChennaiNIV@state.gov'. Got a reply that application is under process will be processed soon.

Thanks for all the responses.

DesiXP

smisachu
12-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Is this situation only in Chennai consulate or in all consulates in general? I have not heard of any trouble at other consulates. I am taking an appointment this week and will choose a consulate that may work faster (Delhi or Cal).

Any feed back will be appreciated.

Hi,

I am also struck in the same situation. My Interview was done on 7th Dec and so far I did not get the passport. Vfs website says "Your passport has not been handed over to VFS. I sent an email to 'ChennaiNIV@state.gov'. Got a reply that application is under process will be processed soon.

DesiXP

garamchai2go
12-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Hi,

DesiXP

My appointment is 6th Dec 1400 hrs, and today consulate CSR confirmed that VFS will have the passport tomorrow. I will check with VFS tomorrow and let you know.

garamchai2go
12-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Is this situation only in Chennai consulate or in all consulates in general? I have not heard of any trouble at other consulates. I am taking an appointment this week and will choose a consulate that may work faster (Delhi or Cal).

Any feed back will be appreciated.

vfs received my passport today i.e., Dec 18th. Dec 6th 1400 hrs was the H1b appointment.

Here's an extract from Mr.Aytes
>>>
PIMS (Petition Information Management System)

Under PIMS, every consul must see information of an I-129 petition on the system before issuing a visa. As background information, we reproduce the following from an advisory on AILA Infonet:

Under PIMS, I-129 petitions requesting consular notification as the procedural benefit are sent to KCC (Kentucky Consular Center) after approval. KCC enters key data from the petition into PIMS and scans in key documents such as I-129 form, employer support letter, and identification documents of beneficiary. KCC also performs some database checks looking for evidence of fraud, violations, or other adverse history and records (including from SEVIS) and records its findings in PIMS. When a post is ready to grant a visa based on a petition (and apparently this includes derivatives), it must confirm the petition in PIMS before issuance. DOS knows that USCIS has not been sending change of status or extension of stay petitions to KCC at all, and we expect that interagency discussions are underway about changing that. We know also that even some consular notification petitions have not been sent to KCC. Any petition not sent to KCC will not show up in PIMS, and there may be other reasons why a petition sent to KCC does not show up in PIMS. When a post does not find a petition in PIMS, it must email to KCC, which unlike posts has direct access to USCIS' CLAIMS3 system where USCIS records petition approvals. KCC will record the fact of the petition approval and any other information it chooses, and when posts check PIMS they can find the information on which visa approval can be based. But until the post sees the petition in PIMS, the visa cannot be granted.

Mr. Aytes acknowledged that PIMS caught consuls by surprise. Every client must be warned of a wait of 2-4 working days before being issued a visa at an overseas consular post. It is likely that an I-129 petition filed as a change or extension of status will result in further delays as USCIS does not send information on those petitions to the KCC.
>>>

EB3Victim
12-18-2007, 11:29 AM
My spouse(H1) and my kid(H4) passports were handed over to VFS today(Dec 18). This is the first H1 stamping of my spouse.Their appointment was on Dec 11

desixp
12-20-2007, 02:54 AM
Hi All,

Finally got my passport stamped after 7 business days of interview. I got my H1b stamped even last year.

Thanks,

DesiXP:cool:

smisachu
12-20-2007, 09:59 PM
Hi Guys. I am trying to take an appointment in Jan. The earliest I can get is 11th in Kollkata. I have booking to travel to US on 26th. After listening to the delays here, I am confused where to go for stamping or return with AP.:confused::confused:

Please advise; guys who have been through stamping recently. Appreciate your feedback.

smisachu
12-21-2007, 12:52 AM
Bump

Hi Guys. I am trying to take an appointment in Jan. The earliest I can get is 11th in Kollkata. I have booking to travel to US on 26th. After listening to the delays here, I am confused where to go for stamping or return with AP.:confused::confused:

Please advise; guys who have been through stamping recently. Appreciate your feedback.

smisachu
12-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Any one...Any suggestions:confused::confused:

pushkarw
12-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Have you contributed to the MILLION dollar drive? Please visit the funding thread!

sureshn22
12-21-2007, 10:51 PM
vfs received my passport today i.e., Dec 18th. Dec 6th 1400 hrs was the H1b appointment.

Here's an extract from Mr.Aytes
>>>
PIMS (Petition Information Management System)

Under PIMS, every consul must see information of an I-129 petition on the system before issuing a visa. As background information, we reproduce the following from an advisory on AILA Infonet:

Under PIMS, I-129 petitions requesting consular notification as the procedural benefit are sent to KCC (Kentucky Consular Center) after approval. KCC enters key data from the petition into PIMS and scans in key documents such as I-129 form, employer support letter, and identification documents of beneficiary. KCC also performs some database checks looking for evidence of fraud, violations, or other adverse history and records (including from SEVIS) and records its findings in PIMS. When a post is ready to grant a visa based on a petition (and apparently this includes derivatives), it must confirm the petition in PIMS before issuance. DOS knows that USCIS has not been sending change of status or extension of stay petitions to KCC at all, and we expect that interagency discussions are underway about changing that. We know also that even some consular notification petitions have not been sent to KCC. Any petition not sent to KCC will not show up in PIMS, and there may be other reasons why a petition sent to KCC does not show up in PIMS. When a post does not find a petition in PIMS, it must email to KCC, which unlike posts has direct access to USCIS' CLAIMS3 system where USCIS records petition approvals. KCC will record the fact of the petition approval and any other information it chooses, and when posts check PIMS they can find the information on which visa approval can be based. But until the post sees the petition in PIMS, the visa cannot be granted.

Mr. Aytes acknowledged that PIMS caught consuls by surprise. Every client must be warned of a wait of 2-4 working days before being issued a visa at an overseas consular post. It is likely that an I-129 petition filed as a change or extension of status will result in further delays as USCIS does not send information on those petitions to the KCC.
>>>
My wife attended H4 Visa interview on 6th but we are yet to receive passport. VFS is clueless and Consulate answers 3-4 working days everytime we call them. Is anyone facing this situation?

vinayak2008
12-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Did you get back your passport? if yes.how many days it took and what is the procedure?

I have similar situation.Now it is almost a week that VFS has not received my passport from chennai consulate.

rajagopal_04
12-22-2007, 02:53 PM
My wife went for H4 visa on Dec 19. I booked flight ticket on 28th. So it seems like I need to postpone the date by at least a week.

Your comments are welcome...Thanks!!

fide_champ
12-23-2007, 03:57 AM
My wife went for H4 visa on Dec 19. I booked flight ticket on 28th. So it seems like I need to postpone the date by at least a week.

That's too short a wait. You have to give atleast 10 working days to be safe. It takes 7 working days for many people these days and if you are lucky you can get it sooner than that.

kittu1991
12-23-2007, 12:34 PM

About couple of weeks ago my employer had arranged a, life after AOS with our attorney and in their presentation they clearly mentioned that if you have AP don't go for visa stamping waste cople of days of your life.

Correct me if my attorney is wrong and if there is any advantage in getting the visa stamped.

gcnyc
12-23-2007, 01:32 PM
I had been to Chennai recently two weeks back and absolutely had no problem in getting visa stamping renewal after 3 years of expiry.

I received my passport from VFS office directly the next day but not the same day. I do not know the delay was common now a days. However one of my friends receieved the passport the same day evening from VFS after attending interview at Mumabi consulate. Jut FYI for all.

Hope this helps.

smisachu
12-23-2007, 04:32 PM
Your attorneys are right. There is not much advantage. Only gray area is the duration between the expiry of your I94 based on AP and the actual renewal of your H1. But many people have been through this and they renew with out any problem.

Another issue is the requirement of some eurpean countries for a Transit visa if you dont have the visa stamped. If you plant to travel frequently, this adds up to quite some money and hassel. I had to get VAT for France and cost me $180 for myself and wife. But apart from this one issue, using AP is clearly easy and a good alternative as you can also maintain H1. I am giving it a strong consideration and will decide if I should cancel my Visa appointment. Will see more feedback and decide.

About couple of weeks ago my employer had arranged a, life after AOS with our attorney and in their presentation they clearly mentioned that if you have AP don't go for visa stamping waste cople of days of your life.

Correct me if my attorney is wrong and if there is any advantage in getting the visa stamped.

rajagopal_04
12-27-2007, 08:50 AM

I am still waiting for the passport.:( I contacted both VFS and US consulate for status. Hope i will get it soon.:confused: Please someone who also waited long, could you post your waiting days, this would give me an estimate days i may need to wait. Thanks for your help.

desixp
12-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Rajgopal,

It is taking about 8 to 9 business days to process. This does not include the courier time. For my wife's passport we got it after two days because VFS handed the passport to Blue Dart after the cut off time at Chennai. We had our interview on 7th of Dec and we got our PP's on 20th and 22nd. I would not recommend any changes to the airline tickets until you get your PP in hand.

Hope this information helps.

DesiXP.

sgsg
12-28-2007, 03:09 AM
I am in the same boat. I had interview on Dec 17th at 10:30 AM and have not yet received my passport. The lady at the chennai consulate said that they are still waiting on the PIMS verification. I am getting very anxious as I have return tickets for Jan 04.

-sgsg

sureshn22
12-28-2007, 03:23 AM
My wife attended interview on dec 6th..we are calling consulate everyday to find out the status but only got scolding from them for our calls. I have decided to travel alone because of this. please plan leaving some gap. block tickets with your airlines instead of confirmed reservation.

I am still waiting for the passport.:( I contacted both VFS and US consulate for status. Hope i will get it soon.:confused: Please someone who also waited long, could you post your waiting days, this would give me an estimate days i may need to wait. Thanks for your help.

bibin_kirkland
12-28-2007, 05:09 AM
Hi, Me and my wife had our H1B extension interview at Chennai on dec 18th morning. My wife got her passport after 2 days however mine is getting delayed I am getting really anxious since my return flight is on Jan 5th.

Regards,
Bibin

jitnair
12-28-2007, 09:34 AM
My H1b (Revalidation for 7th yr) was on Dec 13th 1:45PM...Still hasnt receive my passport...Called the consulate ...they mentioned PIMS check is needed in order to stamp the passport...My travel date is Jan 9th..and I am also getting anxious...When asked about how long I will have to wait..they said to call back on Jan 5th (!!!????)...

Consulate apparently was on vacation from Dec 21st thru 26th..in US also until 2nd is pretty much 'holiday season' (lot of folks on vacation) (I hear this PIMS check is done by some system in Okalahoma)..

I hope I wont have to postpone my tickets...Looks like this system got kicked in Late Nov,Dec (Per Murthy)..May be we are the gini pigs..

I echoed my concern to the US consulate that delays will cause significant financial loss (extra vacation days, loss of pay, travel plan changes etc)...I dont think they are bothered..but it will be good if who ever is affected can send emails/call consulate and echo these concerns..('May be' all of us together will have a bigger voice)

rajagopal_04
12-28-2007, 11:13 AM
My H1b (Revalidation for 7th yr) was on Dec 13th 1:45PM...Still hasnt receive my passport...Called the consulate ...they mentioned PIMS check is needed in order to stamp the passport...My travel date is Jan 9th..and I am also getting anxious...When asked about how long I will have to wait..they said to call back on Jan 5th (!!!????)...

Consulate apparently was on vacation from Dec 21st thru 26th..in US also until 2nd is pretty much 'holiday season' (lot of folks on vacation) (I hear this PIMS check is done by some system in Okalahoma)..

I hope I wont have to postpone my tickets...Looks like this system got kicked in Late Nov,Dec (Per Murthy)..May be we are the gini pigs..

I echoed my concern to the US consulate that delays will cause significant financial loss (extra vacation days, loss of pay, travel plan changes etc)...I dont think they are bothered..but it will be good if who ever is affected can send emails/call consulate and echo these concerns..('May be' all of us together will have a bigger voice)

Today i got reply from Chennai US consulate.

"Due to the implementation of new system requirements for the processing of petition based non-immigrant visas, the dispatch of passports with these types of visas from our office may be delayed by several days beyond regular processing times. Please wait at least seven working days after your date of interview before contacting our office regarding your passport."

Anyway I cancelled my wife's flight tickets, and won't book until they handover the passport to VFS. I agree with jitnair, this delay is affecting all our travel and personal plans in very BAD way.

rajagopal_04
12-29-2007, 02:59 AM
Posted Dec 28, 2007
和urthyDotCom
A recent U.S. Department of State (DOS) directive to U.S. consular posts now requires consulting an electronic record for visa issuance in nonimmigrant categories H, L, O, P, and Q. This was first reported to MurthyDotCom and MurthyBulletin readers in our December 7, 2007 article, PIMS Verification Required for Certain Nonimmigrant Visas. The verification of visa petition approvals is now carried out through the Petition Information Management Service, known as PIMS, even if a beneficiary takes an original I-797 approval notice to the interview. The American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) asked the DOS to clarify the purpose and the functioning of this directive. In response, the DOS provided this important information to AILA members.
和urthyDotCom
USCIS Must Send KCC Petition Approvals before Visa Issuance
和urthyDotCom
The new verification system requires that the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) send information on all approved petitions requiring visa issuance to the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC), which is part of the DOS. KCC scans and enters all pertinent information including Form I-129, employer support letter, and beneficiary's identification documents into PIMS. KCC also conducts database checks looking for fraud, violations, or other adverse history and records. A petition must be confirmed in PIMS by the U.S. consular post before issuance of the visa. The USCIS has not been transmitting petitions filed for change of status and extension of status to the KCC. Neither have all new petitions for consular processing been transmitted to KCC, resulting in delayed visa issuance to eligible applicants.
和urthyDotCom
Benefits Provided by New Verification System
和urthyDotCom
The DOS has indicated that most of the cases approved for visa processing are being entered into PIMS in a matter of hours. As a result of the new directive requiring multiple checks for fraud and other adverse information, the DOS is able to find forged and altered I-797 approval notices for companies that no longer exist or that never existed. In addition, if a visa applicant has neither an original nor copy of an approval notice and the information has been entered into PIMS, no such notice is required for visa issuance. While some posts still require original approval notices, the DOS is developing clear guidelines to eliminate this requirement.
和urthyDotCom
Negative Effects of New System
和urthyDotCom
Visa applicants whose information has not been entered into PIMS in a timely manner sometimes have to wait longer than the two days specified for visa issuance. There have been reports from individuals who have had to alter travel plans and arrangements to account for errors and delays in having all of their relevant information entered into PIMS. To remedy this problem, AILA has requested that the DOS provide a mechanism for notifying KCC directly to make sure that all the information on an approved petition is entered into the system before a beneficiary applies for a visa.
和urthyDotCom
Conclusion
和urthyDotCom
The DOS has indicated that it is willing to develop a mechanism to address any negative effects of the new requirement to verify petition approval information before issuing a visa in certain types of nonimmigrant petitions. MurthyDotCom and MurthyBulletin readers will be updated on this important matter when there are new developments.

vinayak2008
01-01-2008, 02:46 AM
Hi,I had my H1 revalidation visa approved on Dec 18th at chennai consulate but I have not received my passports till today (more than 7 working days).
It seems PIMS check is happening only at chennai consulate in india.At mumbai consulate one of friend got passports on the same ay.

vishalsaboo
01-01-2008, 05:12 AM
I dont know if that's completely true. I had my H1B visa appointment on Dec 28th in Mumbai and am in the PIMS verification status also. The visa officer told me that all NIV applicants around the world have to go through the process and admitted that the process was new.

I talked to 3 other H1 candidates right after I was handed the yellow slip and they all had the same experience with different officers. Although its aggravating, hopefully, we'll all get some relief this week.

Good luck to all of us!

garamchai2go
01-01-2008, 07:36 AM
with all the sescenarios, We can't collect stamped passport on the same dat at chennai? - Is this correct?

while booking appointment I said I will collect my passport at local VFS office.

?
There are few people who got their passport on same day. If your petetion information is already in PIMS database you might passport back get on same day. Good Luck!

bobgc
01-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Attended Interview on Dec 12,
Visa Stamped on Dec 17
Got the passport on Dec 20th.

rajagopal_04
01-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Attended Interview on Dec 12,
Visa Stamped on Dec 17
Got the passport on Dec 20th.

I am still waiting for my wife's PP (interview on DEC 19th). My friend went on DEC 26th and got his on the same day....

What about you guys who are waiting for thier PPs?

vidhya_srini
01-01-2008, 10:09 AM
i attended interview on dec 20th.. i havn' t recd my passport yet.. i had to cancel my tickets bcos of this..:mad:

sundarpn
01-02-2008, 01:51 AM
Please keep this thread updated. And post the details of the delay.

I suppose this affects even h1b revalidation stamping?

stuckinretro
01-02-2008, 07:06 AM
Wife and I attended H1 visa interview on Dec'13th, I got passport in 1 week, haven't received passport for wife. Consular staff very rude, say her petition details are not in their system so have to wait. They hang up phone as we are following up everyday. They say 4-5 days everytime we call them

Its clear that, PIMS verification system is not working effectively.

This is July Fiasco type goof up from DOS and DHS

sundarpn
01-03-2008, 01:20 AM
bump. :(. pl. keep updated.

rajagopal_04
01-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Today i got reply from Chennai, NIV saying i need to wait somemore days...:mad:

Does anyone got their PP back...? Thanks (My wife had interview on Dec 19th)

sundarpn
01-03-2008, 07:42 PM
I hope this improves and does not become a permanent issue!

Can we start a campain? I understand that this issue many not be soemthing that IV cannot fight for. But can we do something like an email or fax Campaign?

nsabavala
01-04-2008, 01:33 AM
Interview date - 28th Dec at the Mumbai Consulate
No passport yet. Sent multiple emails to mumbaiNIV@state.gov with the subject 'PASSPORT PENDING for more than 5 days' - no response yet. I had to postpone my airline tickets once already and will probably need to postpone again.

sundarpn
01-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Chennai consulate website clearly says 7 business days and in december till 1st jan there were holidays.
Folks, pl mention whcin consulate in your posts. thx

rajagopal_04
01-04-2008, 11:19 AM
They handover the PP to VFS today (Jan 4th) after long waiting. My wife’s appointment was on DEC 19th at Chennai Consulate. Best of luck for you guys..

vidhya_srini
01-05-2008, 06:06 AM
After long wait i received passport today jan 4th.. My interview was on dec 20th..

good luck to the rest!

sundarpn
01-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Looking at the above, for most folks it has been 10 business days.

jitnair
01-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Just as an update for those anxious folks - I got my passport back with the stamp on Jan 3rd (Intv was on Dec 13th). Visa issue date was on Jan 2nd.

So plan for 'a month' atleast if you are visiting the Chennai consulate for H1b stamping.

Also make sure your photo is exact as per specs..Mine was taken in US (Costco) for the Green card process ..but the guy who is sorting all the papers in the consulate send me out to the VFS office to take another photo as he didnt like the way my photo was taken (although there was nothing obvious..no point in arguing to them)..I thought I was alone, but saw many folks outside ...I had to take this at the VFS office (close by..VFS shuttle is there outside the consulate) and return back to consulate..(will cause atleast 1.5 hours delay..I barely made it to my flight back home)..

malaika
01-09-2008, 03:21 PM
I had my H1 visa appointment on December 27th in Chennai. They said that my visa was approved and that I would recieve my passport within one week. I have not recieved it yet. I called up the Consulate a few times last week and initially they were saying that 'it would take another 2-3 days'. Finally when I called up on Friday the 4th, they said that another 7 days was needed for the PIMS verification.
Still no news......I was supposed to fly out on the 6th to report to work on the 8th but had to postpone my ticket.
Anyone else in the same position please share!
Thanks

sundarpn
01-19-2008, 09:55 AM
Did you get your PassPort back? How many working days did it take to get it back counting from your interview date?

I had my H1 visa appointment on December 27th in Chennai. They said that my visa was approved and that I would recieve my passport within one week. I have not recieved it yet. I called up the Consulate a few times last week and initially they were saying that 'it would take another 2-3 days'. Finally when I called up on Friday the 4th, they said that another 7 days was needed for the PIMS verification.
Still no news......I was supposed to fly out on the 6th to report to work on the 8th but had to postpone my ticket.
Anyone else in the same position please share!
Thanks

sundarpn
01-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Folks who had delays in getting H1b stamped due to the PIMS verification at Chennai Consualte:

Can you look at your H1b approval notice (i.e. I-797) and see if there was an A number (something like A123 456 789) mentioned under the "Beneficiary" box?

stuck_here
01-22-2008, 05:44 AM
I wouldn't bet on a month either. I think I'm the most unfortunate of people on the planet today :-(
My appointment was on the 12-Dec. Visa was approved immediatly but haven't received the passport yet. I receive the same response when I call.. that its under PIMS verification. No ETA of when I can expect it to be done..

I had a H1 transfer to a new employer and 3 year extension happen at the same time. I am not sure what the problem is and what I can do. I am totally stressed out and really depressed ..

If someone has done something thats helped their case move along.. please PM me or reply to this post.. Thanks !

prashantc
01-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Dear All, Which number do you call to talk to Chennai consulate officials? The number given on the website seems to only have information, and no operators.

gimme Green!!
01-22-2008, 01:07 PM
My wife and I had our interviews on Jan 3rd. Consulate handed the passport to VFS on Jan 4th. DHL (i think) delivered at home on Jan 5th.

abuddyz
01-22-2008, 01:36 PM
My wife and I had our interviews on Jan 3rd. Consulate handed the passport to VFS on Jan 4th. DHL (i think) delivered at home on Jan 5th.

Congratulations!!! thanks for posting your reply.. it will be great if you can let us know when was your H1 approved...

locomotive36
01-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Guys,

How long it takes to get your passport back, stamped with a H4 visa, from the time you attend interview at the Chennai consulate.

Do they delay even for H4's these days? Want to know the average turn around time to make travel plans.

Please share your experiences.

Thanks!

prashantc
01-28-2008, 02:53 AM
I appeared for an interview on Jan 2nd. It took the consulate officers 16 days to call me and ask for original documents again. Darn PIMS verification! I resubmitted the documents on Jan 22nd through the drop box... and have been calling them daily to track the progress. They say they need 7 working days from the day the documents are received. I have already had to reschedule the flights once..and my employer is getting worried now. If I had known about the delays at Chennai post before, I wont have applied here. Chennai sux!!!

jingi1234
01-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Was this the first time you are coming to USA?

or you went for a visit ? If yes what was ur original status in US..F1 or H1.

I am going for chennai H1B visa on Feb 6....F1 to OPT to H1B...Scared to helll...

I appeared for an interview on Jan 2nd. It took the consulate officers 16 days to call me and ask for original documents again. Darn PIMS verification! I resubmitted the documents on Jan 22nd through the drop box... and have been calling them daily to track the progress. They say they need 7 working days from the day the documents are received. I have already had to reschedule the flights once..and my employer is getting worried now. If I had known about the delays at Chennai post before, I wont have applied here. Chennai sux!!!

prashantc
01-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Was this the first time you are coming to USA?

or you went for a visit ? If yes what was ur original status in US..F1 or H1.

I am going for chennai H1B visa on Feb 6....F1 to OPT to H1B...Scared to helll...
Well no this wasnt my first visit to US. I have been on a valid H1B status for past 5 years or so.

desijackass
01-29-2008, 11:49 AM
It took 7 working days last december for my passport to come back.

prashantc
01-29-2008, 01:02 PM
It took 7 working days last december for my passport to come back.
Good for you desiJ.. I think this PIMS system has been implemented very recently.

svkrishna
01-31-2008, 03:22 AM
Hi Prashantc

We( H1b Extension for 3 time and H4 for my wife)appeared for an interview on Jan 17th. Yet to receive passports.
Cancelled my tickets already.
Based on your case, if they ask us the documents after 16 odd days.. I would say I am doomed. My employer( Not consulting company) might create problems.

Good luck to you bro
Vamsi

lost_in_gc_land
01-31-2008, 05:36 AM
Hello I got a yellow form 221(g) during my interview. Got my passport and approval back during the interview.
Are other people in PIMS getting this yellow form/ 221(g) stating that "when administrative processing is completed in your case we will contact you"?
This will allow me to decide if I am stuck in PIMS or something else.

prashantc
01-31-2008, 08:46 AM
Hello I got a yellow form 221(g) during my interview. Got my passport and approval back during the interview.
Are other people in PIMS getting this yellow form/ 221(g) stating that "when administrative processing is completed in your case we will contact you"?
**** 28 days since interview, visa approved today****

Dear Vamsi, SVK, NK, Shahuja, Abuddyz, lost_in_gc, and all eligible visa aspirants:

I just got an email from the Chennai consulate, 29th day from the interview, stating the visa was stamped today:

"Thank you for your e-mail.

Our records show that your visa was issued today, January 31. You
should be receiving your passport/visa soon.

Visa Information Unit
American Consulate General

Chennai 600006, India
Telephone: 91 44 2857 4242
Fax: 91 44 2811 2027

This means there is light at the end of the tunnel. Please have faith in your abilities, and in your God. You will hear back soon.

Moral of the story: "Never use a Consulate in India for visa re-validation again."

Please learn from this story, and never again trust Consulates in India for extension purposes.

God bless you all.

lost_in_gc_land
01-31-2008, 09:15 AM
Congratulations...and am happy for you.

svkrishna
01-31-2008, 10:05 AM

We did not get any yellow slip. We were told that we will get VISAs within a week. But we are still waiting to get them.

shahuja
01-31-2008, 10:51 AM

hello lost in gc world..
which consulate did u go to ?
was your first time H1B or renewal/extension ?
first time to states ?
75 days is definitely scary, but i hope everything gets okay for you.
/shahuja

prashantc
01-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Dear lost_in_gc,

I am praying for you. And everyone who is a victim of the now naive PIMS system. I assure you you will hear good news soon. Good luck buddy!

Bpositive
02-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Following is my case....please help me make a decision on whether to see this through or not submit passport and just travel back on AP...

Chennai consulate H1. (transfer from F1-OPT-H1).

January 2nd - date of visa interview. Asked for additional info - 221g because I have a Phd in biology

January 6th - submitted additional information. research. publications etc.

February 1st (friday afternoon)- status updated to 'send passport' on chennai consulate website.

My concerns are -

1. How long does it take VFS to return passport, if I submit passport on Monday, February 4th?

2. Would I still have to go through the PIMS verification or should I assume the consulate has already done this because they have asked me to submit passport?

Please help if you can. I have already rescheduled my tickets twice...

h1aspirant
02-03-2008, 12:56 AM
I had my interview on 22nd Jan at chennai. Counsulate approved my visa and collected my passport . They did not return my passport for 8 days. On enquiry I found passport was under PIMS verification

On ninth day, I got the passport back along with 221g blue form, asking me to submit through dropbox original 797 AND 156-157 forms.

Anyone else has similar experience? How long woule it take after the submission to get my case processed.

I am confused and frustrated after reading al PIMS related delays

prashantc
02-03-2008, 01:35 AM
When I was asked to resubmit documents after the interview (via drop box), the consulate said they will need 6-8 working days from the date of receipt of the latter. They indeed took only 7 working days.

Also, I believe they must already have done PIMS verification in my case since they asked for additional info 16 days after the interview. So in total it took them 29 days ( incl weekends)

In your case, it doesnt seem they got enough time to do PIMS. It is hard to
estimate the delays.

Good luck though buddy....you will be fine.

Following is my case....please help me make a decision on whether to see this through or not submit passport and just travel back on AP...

Chennai consulate H1. (transfer from F1-OPT-H1).

January 2nd - date of visa interview. Asked for additional info - 221g because I have a Phd in biology

January 6th - submitted additional information. research. publications etc.

February 1st (friday afternoon)- status updated to 'send passport' on chennai consulate website.

My concerns are -

1. How long does it take VFS to return passport, if I submit passport on Monday, February 4th?

2. Would I still have to go through the PIMS verification or should I assume the consulate has already done this because they have asked me to submit passport?

Please help if you can. I have already rescheduled my tickets twice...

h1aspirant
02-03-2008, 04:09 AM
Prashant,

When they had asked you to resubmit the docs, had they given you 221g blue form?

My case is weird, At the time of interview he approved my visa, gave me a card to fight for labour law enforcement in USA If I ever sit on bench in USA,
and then collected my passport.

When I received the courier , I was sure I have theb visa stamped already.
But I found 221g blue enclosed, along with passport, asking me to resubmit I797 etc

When I was asked to resubmit documents after the interview (via drop box), the consulate said they will need 6-8 working days from the date of receipt of the latter. They indeed took only 7 working days.

Also, I believe they must already have done PIMS verification in my case since they asked for additional info 16 days after the interview. So in total it took them 29 days ( incl weekends)

estimate the delays.

shahuja
02-03-2008, 06:32 AM
H1baspirant, you should be fine..my brother was F1-OPT-H1. His interview was in ND and kept his pp. he got his pp back with stamp withiin 9 calendar days..i think you PIMS should be done. In mumbai they are asking candidates to drop pp and etc once PIMS is verified. So maybe your case is same..

i was interviewed on on Jan 14th..so far its 21st calendar day..they have my pp and i am just waiting each day..mine is H1B renewal.

kandhu
02-03-2008, 12:22 PM
I posted this in a different thread. But Posting it again to get some thoughts from the people who already went through the stamping experiece...
Good luck to everyone. Hope you get your passports soon.

It looks like not ALL applicants are having a delay in receiving their passport after Visa stamping.
I know couple of my friends received their passport the next day.
(H1 extension - stamping in Chennai)
But I understand from the forum that many people are experiencing delays.

Any thoughts on what kind of applicants are experiencing delays ?
(or) in other words.... What kind of approval information (H1/L1) are delayed in getting into the PIMS system

Example: People renewing the H1-Visa in passport after 1 year of expiry (or)
Time between the H1 approval (in US) and the actual Stamping date in India is less than 1 or 2 months ?

Sorry if the questions are weired. I am trying to see if there is a trend/logic we can identify with these delays. This might help people who are planning to go for stamping in India.

I am planning to go to India in March. I am certainly worried on the delays. I need to take a decision to go for stamping or use AP.

Thanks

Bpositive
02-03-2008, 12:58 PM

estimate the delays.

thanks..appreciate it

Bpositive
02-03-2008, 01:01 PM
anyone else with 221g experience from chennai consulate? my case status was updated to send ppt on consulate website...submitting it to vfs tomorrow..

how long from did it take to get the passport back from consulate after submitting it to vfs?

shahuja
02-06-2008, 10:30 AM
i just called DOS. He asked for my visa type and passport number. He said "your visa has been issued in Jan. Call the New Delhi consulate and they should let you know if it would come through mail or do you need to go pick it up"

what happens next ?? how long after this stage it takes to get the visa ?? are there any other checks that could be going on ?? ONCE DOS approves are there any other agencies like FBI, KCC doing some other approvals as well ?? if you know what happens next let me know..waiting for posts..

so now i know I am not stuck due to PIMS and DOS cleared and approved my visa in Jan..what else then ??

Bpositive
02-06-2008, 11:20 AM
i just called DOS. He asked for my visa type and passport number. He said "your visa has been issued in Jan. Call the New Delhi consulate and they should let you know if it would come through mail or do you need to go pick it up"

what happens next ?? how long after this stage it takes to get the visa ?? are there any other checks that could be going on ?? ONCE DOS approves are there any other agencies like FBI, KCC doing some other approvals as well ?? if you know what happens next let me know..waiting for posts..

so now i know I am not stuck due to PIMS and DOS cleared and approved my visa in Jan..what else then ??

Usually, that's it. The consulate should now issue the passport. Email/call the consulate or call VFS if you haven't already done so.

shahuja
02-06-2008, 12:20 PM
i call embassy every day...they say under processing..VO has your case/pp..
my DOS approval was most probably done on 29th jan..so its been 6 working days and still embassy is not giving a positive response..

what now ??

GC2002-2008
02-06-2008, 01:12 PM
How do we call DOS ? Is there any contact number for this Visa delays ?

Please let us know.

shahuja
02-06-2008, 03:31 PM
just google and you should get the number..or else you can check this thread
http://murthyforum.atinfopop.com/4/O...772108581&p=43

shahuja
02-06-2008, 10:01 PM
hello EVERYBODY..need help..

this is the email came from my lawyer today..for the inquiry they did with the consulate regarding my visa.

Hi Shweta,

We understand how frustrating this is for you. We received a response to our inquiry with the consulate. It seems the application is being kept pending for additional administrative processing. The stated reason for the review falls within the law under Section 221(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Under these circumstances, we typically see that the government issues a notice to the applicant wherein additional information is often requested. Kindly advise if you have received any notification from the consulate on this issue.

Best regards,

IS ADMIN PROC DIFFERENT FROM ADD ADMIN PROC ???

also the same day i called DOS and they told me case was approved already in jan..so that means that now more processing needs to be done ??

ADVICE ??

Bpositive
02-07-2008, 12:06 AM
How do we call DOS ? Is there any contact number for this Visa delays ?

Please let us know.

http://www.unitedstatesvisas.gov/contact.html

202-663-1225 extn 100