PDA

View Full Version : Joint Tax filing - wife on H4 & ITIN?

sundarpn
02-17-2011, 03:08 PM
This yr I need to file jointly. Got married last year and my wife is on H-4. I am told I need to apply for ITIN Number and file via paper only.

Can someone who has gone through this process shed some light? is this something that can be done by an individual?. I have filed taxes before on paper and via websites.

Thx

cbpds
02-17-2011, 03:27 PM
1.go to the irs site and file itin for ur wife
2.go to a tax accountant and file ur taxes, the accnt will write "filed for ITIN " on the return and send it to IRS
3.will take quite some time to get ur refund

This yr I need to file jointly. Got married last year and my wife is on H-4. I am told I need to apply for ITIN Number and file via paper only.

Can someone who has gone through this process shed some light? is this something that can be done by an individual?. I have filed taxes before on paper and via websites.

Thx

snathan
02-17-2011, 03:34 PM
You can file for ITIN along with your Tax filing. You can get the relevant forms and require docs from the IRS web site. I have done that couple of years back.

mk26
02-17-2011, 03:37 PM
I had gone thru this but that was in 2006 some rules might have changed,

First you need to apply for ITIN for your wife and paper file the tax in place of ss# for your wife you need to write 'APPLIED FOR ITIN'. I guess thats all you need to do but please verify new rules for ITIN(Form W-9). Once you get ITIN from next year onward you will be fine for e-file. hope this info helps

forgerator
02-17-2011, 03:49 PM
ITIN cannot be applied separately from the tax return. They have to be done at the same time and mailed in together (1040 + W7).

The way I did it was that I used HRBlock to fill out all my information online, and instead of e-filing, I printed out the return. Make sure that you leave the SSN field blank for your wife since that's where the ITIN will be assigned. HR Block online site did not allow me to leave it blank so I did a 'jugaad' :) I filled it out with the text 123456789, and then after saving it to pdf, I used a pdf editor to blank out the field, and then finally printed it out.

Now fill out the W7, put everything including your joint filer tax return in one envelope and send to the appropriate address and you should be good to go.

forgerator
02-17-2011, 03:50 PM
2.go to a tax accountant and file ur taxes, the accnt will write "filed for ITIN " on the return and send it to IRS

Incorrect. 1 and 2 cannot be filed separately. They MUST be mailed in together to IRS. This is a very common mistake everyone makes, and it ends up denying their ITIN application and delaying their refund.

cbpds
02-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Dude,

I followed the steps I wrote and got the refund, did not do any 'jugaad' like you.

Grow up, learn to accept that there are multiple ways of getting a refund !!

Incorrect. 1 and 2 cannot be filed separately. They MUST be mailed in together to IRS. This is a very common mistake everyone makes, and it ends up denying their ITIN application and delaying their refund.

snathan
02-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Dude,

I followed the steps I wrote and got the refund, did not do any 'jugaad' like you.

I am not sure when you have filed. But if you are filing ITIN without tax filing and claiming the purpose as Tax filing - it will be rejected.

bugmenotu
02-17-2011, 07:15 PM
some background before I answer your question: I got married in mid-2008 and that year my wife was on H4. She was in the US for only 3 months in 2008 including the last day of 2008. So...

1. I filed the Federal return as 'married filing jointly'. Paper filed. Kept the Spouse's SSN blank.
2. Attached the ITIN application to the federal return. Also attached a notarized photocopy of wife's passport's biographic page and H4 visa pages. You can get the photocopies notarized at the local library, for example.
3. Also attached a letter with the Federal return requesting the IRS to treat my wife as a resident because she was not in the country in 2008 long enough to automatically qualify as a resident. You may not need this letter depending upon how many days your wife was in the US
3. The federal return was accepted by the IRS and they sent an ITIN number for my wife.
4. Used this ITIN number to file state taxes; the state I live in does not accept a tax return without a SSN/ITIN. Again, you may not need to file state taxes depending upon which state you live in.

My Federal and State tax returns were accepted without any glitches. Remember to file your federal return early so that you have enough time to then file the State return in time, in case the state you reside requires you to life a tax return and also requires an ITIN number.

Hope this helps.

forgerator
02-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Dude,

Depends on when you filed. The rule is changed now - previously they allowed to file separately but now they must be filed together. Not sure what multiple ways of refund you're referring to, I think you're confused.

forgerator
02-17-2011, 07:31 PM
3. Also attached a letter with the Federal return requesting the IRS to treat my wife as a resident because she was not in the country in 2008 long enough to automatically qualify as a resident. You may not need this letter depending upon how many days your wife was in the US

Even this is not needed.

As long as your wife is on H4, even if she never entered the US, she can qualify for ITIN and you can get the married filing jointly refund.

You can read my full account below (in case it can benefit someone in similar situation):
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum99-tax-social-security-and-financial-issues-for-immigrants-and-nonimmigrants/23444-question-about-itin-stimulus-tax-forms.html

number30
02-17-2011, 07:54 PM

That was old process. It is changed now.
Go to tax accountant and tell him that you need file ITIN number spouse. He will prepare tax return and W7 form. There is Separate Mailing Address for W7 and Tax return together. (It was Philadelphia PA for Texas filing when i saw i last time)
It will take some extra time get money.

reddy_h
02-17-2011, 10:57 PM
you can even go to local IRS office and file W-7 along with tax return. they will verify the documents on the spot and there will be less chance of rejection.

thomachan72
02-18-2011, 09:48 AM
You can file for ITIN along with your Tax filing. You can get the relevant forms and require docs from the IRS web site. I have done that couple of years back.

I think this is the way to go.

lifestrikes
02-18-2011, 10:55 AM
To file ITIN Number you need to submit W7 form. No wastes your money going to Tax consultant.

Send supporting documents (as per W7 Instructions)

How to Apply - Second Bullet says the following.

Your original, completed tax return(s) for which the ITIN is needed. Attach Form W-7 to the front of your tax return. If you are applying for more than one ITIN for the same tax return (such as for a spouse or dependent(s)), attach all Forms W-7 to contain an expiration date, they are considered current at all the same tax return. After your Form W-7 has been processed, times. The IRS will assign an ITIN to the return and process the return

Link to W7 Instructions (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf)

Link to W7 Form (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf)

Mail both W7, supporting documents and your Married Filed Jointly tax returns to Austin, Texas address (this is different from regular tax mailing address).

It took us about 6 weeks to get the ITIN + Tax Refund.

State Tax Return (if required)

Till you receive the ITIN, you will not be able to file state tax. So, if you apply for ITIN no in Feb, if you get ITIN before April 18, then file your state tax, if not, apply for State Tax extension.

sundarpn
02-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Thx. Yes per the recent information I collected both from IRS website and a free consultation with a CPA, ITIN application must be filed along with the paper tax return.

I like "...going to the IRS local office option..." suggested above.I am in NC and my wife has been here since July 2010.

I totally forgot about the State tax part.... I don't know if they will accept the return without ITIN. (And I don't think I have enough time for Fed return with ITIN to be accepted/processed and then apply for state return).

One of the CPA's I spoke to wanted $200 + 75(for ITIN). I figured that's too high for a simple return with no home mortgage etc.

royu
02-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Before 4/5 month I went to local IRS office for getting my wife's ITIN. They did not accept the application. I went to my bank and get a letter that ITIn is required to open bank account. Using that letter I recently applied in local IRS office. They accepted the application and said the ITIN will be issued with 2 month. Let's wait few weeks.

forgerator
02-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Thx. Yes per the recent information I collected both from IRS website and a free consultation with a CPA, ITIN application must be filed along with the paper tax return.

I like "...going to the IRS local office option..." suggested above.I am in NC and my wife has been here since July 2010.

I totally forgot about the State tax part.... I don't know if they will accept the return without ITIN. (And I don't think I have enough time for Fed return with ITIN to be accepted/processed and then apply for state return).

One of the CPA's I spoke to wanted $200 + 75(for ITIN). I figured that's too high for a simple return with no home mortgage etc.

Man it's very easy. Why pay $275 to CPA when you can do it yourself for less than $20 through Turbo tax or HR Block? In fact I think you probably will not even pay that because you won't be e-filing.

ITIN is just filling out a W7 form and collecting accompanying documentation.

In Turbo tax or HR Block, when you fill out information for your return online, just save as pdf instead of e-filing, print it out and mail it to the Austin, TX address along with W7 and the accompanying documentation.

cbpds
02-18-2011, 07:21 PM
I'm sorry for the confusion, guess things have changed now, can I do the same for my mom as she was here for more than 6 months ?

Man it's very easy. Why pay $275 to CPA when you can do it yourself for less than $20 through Turbo tax or HR Block? In fact I think you probably will not even pay that because you won't be e-filing.

ITIN is just filling out a W7 form and collecting accompanying documentation.

In Turbo tax or HR Block, when you fill out information for your return online, just save as pdf instead of e-filing, print it out and mail it to the Austin, TX address along with W7 and the accompanying documentation.

forgerator
02-18-2011, 07:26 PM
I'm sorry for the confusion, guess things have changed now, can I do the same for my mom as she was here for more than 6 months ?

yes you can. Just make sure to get all the relevant information like her attested passport copy etc. as indicated by W7.

My friend applied for ITIN for his mother and added her as dependent on his 1040, and got a solid return. Don't think that you can do it year after year though, because that would raise some IRS eyebrows. Only for the year which she spent 6 months with you.

snathan
02-18-2011, 08:18 PM

Federal return is free on Turbo box. Just enter all the information on the Turbo tax but donít file - efile. Take print out, attach all the information for the ITIN and send it in mail to Austin office.

May be you can file the state tax without ITIN and amend it later. So you can do it for free - Federal and ITIN. Just donate $25 to IV..

sundarpn
02-27-2011, 11:21 PM
So if I do paper file my fed return (with ITIN application), I suppose it will take about 2 months to get my return check via regular mail right?

If I do change apartments by then, will USPS mail forwarding work for mails from IRS?

thx

akred
02-28-2011, 01:02 AM
1. File for an extension so you can file your return by Oct 15.

2. Go to the local IRS office with your wife and papers and submit the application for the ITIN.

3. Once the ITIN arrives in the mail, figure out which way gets you the most refund - married filing jointly or married filing separately.

4. File the one return or file two returns one for you and one for the wife.

All the forms are available from irs.gov in fillable form. If you use a calculator, no need to use Turbotax or whatever. BTW, IRS auditors here are friendlier than IRS at home :-).

sundarpn
02-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Thx. I want to finish filing by April deadline.

My question is: Will IRS mails be forwarded by USPS mail forwarding.

sathishav
02-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Thx. I want to finish filing by April deadline.

My question is: Will IRS mails be forwarded by USPS mail forwarding.

If the envelope says, "Return Service Requested" then that mail will NOT be forwarded. It will only be delivered to that location.

You can see most of USCIS mails have that quote.

sundarpn
03-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Just realized that Fed return even if filed via paper (1040) has the option for "Direct deposit".

forgerator
03-19-2011, 03:51 AM
Just realized that Fed return even if filed via paper (1040) has the option for "Direct deposit".

Of course... why you equating e-filing to direct deposit ? :)
E-filing is just information entering the govt's database automatically instead of through manual data entry. That is why it is much quicker than paper filing.

ubsreenath
04-11-2014, 01:21 AM
I just had the fun of applying for an ITIN for my wife on H4 and did my returns this year and wrote all about it here: Applying for ITIN | H4 Dependent Visa Holder for Income Tax Returns (http://sreenath.net/2014/04/03/tax-returns-itin-h4/) . Hope it helps someone. The process was changed in 2013 and its slightly difficult now.