PDA

View Full Version : Travelling on AP via Dubai: Advice

techcoolie
12-22-2008, 03:52 AM
Hi,

I am currently on H-1. My wife has a valid AP via my I-485 application (she has no valid visa). We will be travelling from US to India via Dubai through Emirates Airlines. I understand I do not need a transit visa as I go through Dubai. My question is:

Has anyone faced any problems as you travelled from India to US (or for that matter to India from US)t hrough Dubai? I am concerned if dubai immigration would recognize the advance parole document. any tips/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Two days ago, we were denied boarding by British Airways as my wife did not have a current US visa. We did not know that they would not honor the advance parole. I jsut assumed that advance parole woulf jsut be fine. As they say, assumption is the mother of all screwups... This time, I want to me more prepared, and hence this questions.

Thanks,
-Ashok

gc28262
12-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Hi,

I am currently on H-1. My wife has a valid AP via my I-485 application (she has no valid visa). We will be travelling from US to India via Dubai through Emirates Airlines. I understand I do not need a transit visa as I go through Dubai. My question is:

Has anyone faced any problems as you travelled from India to US (or for that matter to India from US)t hrough Dubai? I am concerned if dubai immigration would recognize the advance parole document. any tips/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Two days ago, we were denied boarding by British Airways as my wife did not have a current US visa. We did not know that they would not honor the advance parole. I jsut assumed that advance parole woulf jsut be fine. As they say, assumption is the mother of all screwups... This time, I want to me more prepared, and hence this questions.

Thanks,
-Ashok

I almost ran into an issue with AP while transiting through Bahrain. The guy who was at the boarding gate in Bahrain airport did not understand what an AP is.

Finally he called up somebody in the airport and let me in.
After that I decided never to transit through foreign countries especially gulf.

I don't have any experience with emirates though.

ivorycard
12-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Hey,

I have traveled using AP via Dubai. There is no problem.

You can confirm by calling their customer service toll free number.

talash
12-22-2008, 11:50 AM
my wife travelled dec 3 .absolutly no problem via Dubai .Couple ofmy frind had monir issues last year lie they wanted to keep original AP but issues were resolved .They seem to know abt AP .

ImmInd
12-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Hi techcoolie:

Yes, British Airways does not allow to Board with just AP! They need stamped USA Visa in the passport OR their Direct-Air-Transit (DAT) Visa stamping in the passport for Indian Citizens.

I travelled via London with AP - but, I have the above said DAT visa stamping in my passport. UK Govt listed this clearly in their consular web-site. (I have this visa for some emergency travel purpose. But, I avoid this route as first choice always).

I travelled via Brussels and no problem with AP at all. This is also listed in Belgium's web-site clearly.

BPforGC
12-22-2008, 07:02 PM
Absolutely no probs. Both me and my wife are without VISA but only AP. No problems. Even at check-in within US, they verified our AP and issued boarding passes. In Dubai, they did not check our AP when boarding connecting flight to India.

While coming back to US, we were asked to go to secondary inspection area. We waited for half-hour and our APs, passports and I-94s were stamped and asked to proceed. No questions asked. Don't panic. Keep your I-140 approval and 485 notices handy.
Good luck.

sripk
02-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Hi, I plan to break my journey from India to US via Dubai on emirates. I have only valid AP and wondering what are the requirements. Is there going to be an issue getting transit visa ahead or on arrival at the airport? Please let me know.