PDA

View Full Version : Getting Married While Waiting For Green Card

h1b6years
05-25-2009, 12:47 AM
Hi All: can anyone tell me if you can get married (not with an America citizen) while you are waiting for your Green Card? If you are on an E Visa waiting to get your green card you got thru PERM: can you live the Country and get married?
:confused:

sunny1000
05-26-2009, 02:18 AM
First of all, please fill out the profile. Secondly, please give us more info about what your status is and what is the status of your significant other, so that people can answer your question better.

h1b6years
05-27-2009, 12:53 AM
Hi sorry if I was not detailed enough. The reason I'm asking this question is because I heard you cannot leave the US while your waiting for the GC. I was wondering if this is true.
Thanks.
To answer your question: I have an E Visa and she is not a citizen or anything and we are going to get married in our Home Country in Europe.

lazycis
05-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Hi sorry if I was not detailed enough. The reason I'm asking this question is because I heard you cannot leave the US while your waiting for the GC. I was wondering if this is true.
Thanks.
To answer your question: I have an E Visa and she is not a citizen or anything and we are going to get married in our Home Country in Europe.

There are some situations when leaving US while waiting for a GC is risky (more than 180 days of unlawful presense, having a B visa and applying for LC, etc.), but it should not be an issue for E-visa holder. The best way to do it if you plan to live in US with the future spouse is to apply for E visa (dependent) for her after you get married. After she gets E-visa she can enter US and apply for AOS when you when you are ready to file I-485.

leo_loco
05-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Well, I would suggest you to get her visa. Reason, if your spouse is in other country then you won't be able to bring her here as you do not have citizenship. Once she is here on dependent visa, you can file for her AOS when dates are current for Green card.

Ann Ruben
05-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Do you have a currently valid E visa stamped in your passport; or, did you enter the US with a different visa and then change your status to E? If you have a valid E visa stamped in your passport, and are still working in the same capacity for the same enterprise described in your E visa appliction, you should not have a problem leaving the US and then returning.