PDA

View Full Version : Helpful info for I-485, I-765 and I-131..

pappu
06-14-2007, 12:25 PM
You can get the following forms :

1. I-693
2. I-485
3. I-765
4. I-131
5. G-325

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCR D&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1 RCRD

Here is the link for form I693.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=eb1f3591ec04d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCR D&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1 RCRD

SOP

http://immigrationvoice.org/media/forums/iv/485SOP_Section1_MailRoom.swf

======================
Here is link to I-485 Standard Operating Procedures (dated 2002)

http://www.ilw.com/seminars/august2002_citation2b.pdf

This adjustment of status SOP document would make clear the procedure, priority and order of the decision making process of the I-485 at CIS.

Though might not be most updated, it would give a glimpse of what happens inside the black box!

Enjoy!

http://www.imminfo.com/resources/cissop.html

pappu
06-14-2007, 01:13 PM
http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/TransformationConOps_Mar07.pdf

dilvahabilyeha
06-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Hi friends,
Here is what my lawyer sent me! Forwarding to you all so that you can get some idea what they are planning to do. Of Course she is charging me 250$ for this info!. I am sharing this as you have contributed and Will contribute to IV.

------------------Here is the lawyer email---------------------

As you know, you and your wife will be able to file your applications to adjust status to permanent residence in July 2007. You will need to prepare the following for your adjustment applications:
1. Form I-485, Application to Adjust Status. You can find this Form on the Internet here:
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485.pdf
Please complete this form in draft format for you and your wife. Please write "unknown" instead of leaving questions unanswered.

2. Form G-325, Biographic Information. You can find this Form on the Internet here:
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/g-325a.pdf
Please complete this form in draft format for you and your wife. Please write "unknown" instead of leaving questions unanswered.

3. Photographs. You and your wife must each have six color photographs taken in accordance with the photo specifications that you will find here:
http://travel.state.gov/passport/guide/composition/composition_874.html

4. Passports, Forms I-94 and Nonimmigrant Visa Documents. Please send us a copy of every page, including any blank pages, of each of your current and any prior passports. Please also include copies (front and back) of each of your Forms I-94. Please make sure that the date and place of entry on the I-94 copies are clearly legible.

5. Birth and Marriage Certificates. Please send us a copy of your and your wife’s birth certificates and of your marriage certificate. If your birth certificates do not contain your name, your date and place of birth, and both of your parents' names, you will probably have to get affidavits from parents or older family members to fill in the blanks. We will review your documents and let you know if affidavits will be needed.

6. Medical Exams. You each must have a medical exam done by a CIS approved physician. It is my understanding that it is already becoming difficult to get appointments with these physicians. You can locate these physicians at this website:
https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=CIV

The exam will include a blood test for AIDS and other diseases, a physical exam, and a skin test, and perhaps a chest x-ray, for tuberculosis. The physician will complete the forms and return them in sealed envelopes. The envelopes must remain sealed.
Immigration law requires that you submit proof of vaccinations with your applications for adjustment of status. You will find the vaccination sheet that the CIS physician must complete and enclose with your medicals here:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/pdf/ti-03/appdx-a_693vacc.pdf

Please take proof of your prior vaccinations to the medical exams. If you do not have proof of prior vaccinations, you will probably have to receive those vaccinations at this time. If that is the case, it may be more cost effective to have the vaccinations done before you go for the examinations and then take evidence of those vaccinations to the CIS physician.

7. Identification Documents. Please send us two color, slightly enlarged copies of your and your wife’s drivers licenses or other photo ID, with the photos as clear as possible.

8. Employment Verification Letter. I will forward a format for this letter to your employer.

---------------------------------------------------------------

reno_john
06-18-2007, 03:55 PM
For people who want to file I-485 filing on their own. Since 485 filing requires only one document from the employer (Employer's letter saying you have the job and its the same job description), its possible to file 485 by oneself without additional help from lawyer or employer. This is a thread for that purpose. Even those who have the help and attention of a good lawyer can use this thread for guidance. This is the initial list of documents that are required for 485 filing and the optional EAD and AP filing. The fee structure is scheduled to change after July 30th. The fees listed below are applicable now thru July 29th.

I-485 DOCUMENT CHECKLIST

1. Payment Checks (USCIS Filing Fees $325.00 in favor of 'United States Citizenship and Immigration Service' OR 'USCIS').

Original fee plus $70.00 biometrics services fee if you are 14 years of age or older. If you are under 14 years of age, the fee is $225.00 with no biometric services fee. If you are 79 years of age or older, the fee is $325.00 with no biometrics services fee.

Fillable I-485 form:

Application is sent to:

USCIS Nebraska Service Center

P.O. Box 87485

Lincoln, NE 68501-7485

2. Form G-28 one with each Application form. Dont need this if you are doing it on your own without the lawyer. If doing on your own, you can fill out G-28 for your spouse, if you are filling out the forms and doing paperwork for your spouse. G-28 shows that the applicant is being represented etc. If you and your spouse are both filling out your own forms and signing them then you may not need G-28 for anything.

3. Two Photographs per 1-485,1-131,1-765

4. Completed form 1-485 for Adjustment of Status

5. Completed Period of Stay form. Completed in chronological order starting with first entry into US, and all changes of status, extensions, exits and entries, down to your current status.

6. Evidence of Valid Nonimmigrant Status:

Copies of both sides of any and all 1-94 cards
Copies of all 1-797 approval notices
Copies of any and all I-20's (if applicable, both sides)
Copies of all IAP 66 forms
Copies of all PT Work Authorization Cards (if applicable)
Copies of All pages of passport - INCLUDING BLANK PAGES AND PLEASE DO NOT MAKE TWO SIDED COPIES; ONE COPY PER PAGE AND MAKE SURE THAT COPIES ARE LEGIBLE

COMPLETED FORM G-325A Biographic Sheet

I-693 form( Every civil surgeon mostly has this form)

Completed Form 1-693 Medical Examination (SEALED) along with copy of list of INS approved Civil Surgeons
Birth Certificates and Marriage Certificate COPIES and other evidence of birth/marriage. One marriage certificate needed per person
Employment Letter in Format
Original for employee, copy for all other

I-765/EAD DOCUMENT CHECKLIST (Optional)

Documents required for EAD/I-765 per person:
Completed Form I-765 (EAD):
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-765.pdf
2 photos(full frontal)
USCIS filing fee - $180.00 check payable to 'United States Citizenship and Immigration Service' OR 'USCIS' with your SSN# and I-765 mentioned in the comments section of the check
Copy of past EAD card front/back sides
Copy of recent I-94 card (both sides)
Copy of visa page of passport in color
Copy of driver's license
Copy of I-485 receipt notice (if applicable)
Copy of I-140 approval notice
Copy of Marriage certificate (if applying for spouse)

I-131/Advance Parole DOCUMENT CHECKLIST (Optional)

Documents required for Advance parole/ I-131 per person:
Completed form I-131
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-131.pdf
2 photos (full frontal)
USCIS filing fee - $170.00 check payable to 'United States Citizenship and Immigration Service' OR 'USCIS' with your SSN# and I-131 mentioned in the comments section of the check
copy of EAD card front/back sides,
Copy of I-94 card,
Copy of visa page of passport in color,
Copy of driver's license,
Copy of I-485 receipt notice,
Copy of I-140 approval notice,
Copy of Marriage certificate,
Copy of birth certificate for children and a letter explaining the reason for travel
Signed statement requesting advance parole

vaishnavilakshmi
06-18-2007, 09:53 PM
hi,

Usually they ask for only copies of all the docs and not the originals.And they may ask to show the original copies of the birth,marriage etc,wedding pics,family pics etc at the time of interviews.

Hope this helps u,
vaishu

coolmanasip
06-19-2007, 03:09 PM
My lawyer is asking for the tax returns for last three years for 485 filing??? I read W2s in the USCIS list but I do not know why he is asking for tax returns?? Any clue.....

sledge_hammer
06-19-2007, 04:59 PM
Do we use form G-325 or G-325A?

bigboy007
06-19-2007, 05:11 PM
its illegal to take color photocopies of driver licences, ONLY send b/w

sledge_hammer
06-19-2007, 06:12 PM
What is the "period of stay form"?

moonlight
06-20-2007, 12:39 PM
I doubt about illegal of taking color copy of driver license.
If it is why would lawyers ask for it. My lawyer asked for color copy.

yasimk
06-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Hi,

I am planning to file EAD & AP on my own and separately from I-485.
Our company will incur the charge for processing I-485 for me and my spouse. But they won't incur the charge for filing EAD and AP. All the attorneys are charging hefty amount for filing EAD & AP. So I am thinking to file EAD & AP on my own and let company take care of my I-485.

So my questions are

1) Is it ok if I file EAD & AP separately from I-485?
Or should i wait till I-485 approval is received and then file EAD & AP.

The concern is because in #10 of I-765 form, there is a section that asks for Alien Registration Number (A-number) or I-94 Number.

2) Is it ok if the I-485 applications are sent by the company and EAD & AP are sent by me and both of these documents reach separately at INS?

Generally most of the applications will reach INS in one bundle. Because I am sure most of the applicants will file I-485/EAD/AP in one shot. But in my case, it will be 2 reaching INS in 2 separate bundles. So is it ok, in my case?

Please advise.

Regards
~~~~~Y

cjain
06-20-2007, 05:53 PM
^^^^^^^^^^

voldemar
06-20-2007, 06:01 PM
its illegal to take color photocopies of driver licences, ONLY send b/wAnd wait for RFE.
USCIS is asking for COLOR copies of DL and passport.

voldemar
06-20-2007, 06:06 PM
1) Is it ok if I file EAD & AP separately from I-485?
Or should i wait till I-485 approval is received and then file EAD & AP.
When you get 485 approval you will not need EAD or AP :D
It's OK to file for EAD and AP yourself, I did it 4 times but you need I-485 receipt notice and I-140 receipt and then approval notice to do that. So if you are wiling to wait till your lawyer get notices (it could be months for those who are filing in July) and your employer and lawyer will provide you a copy of all notices - it's fine to file yourself.

drirshad
06-20-2007, 06:23 PM
Is there any official Period of Stay form or its just a summary statement from us about entry exit from start till now.

factoryman
06-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Download and do it. Your attorney may be asking for that purpose. Only last 5 years.

Is there any official Period of Stay form or its just a summary statement from us about entry exit from start till now.

User00
06-22-2007, 12:54 PM
And wait for RFE.
Can you please provide the link ?
I refered to USCIS website but did not find a mention of copies of DL.
PLease advise.
Thanks

$eeGrEeN
06-22-2007, 12:58 PM
It's OK to file for EAD and AP yourself, I did it 4 times but you need I-485 receipt notice and I-140 receipt and then approval notice to do that. So if you are wiling to wait till your lawyer get notices (it could be months for those who are filing in July) and your employer and lawyer will provide you a copy of all notices - it's fine to file yourself.

correct me if i'm wrong , but you can get 140 approval notice requesting thru' FOI Act don't u ...

so after 6 months of filing 485 ( given that u have the receipt notice ) u r pretty much free to take your process with u.

voldemar
06-22-2007, 03:11 PM
There is no link - it's people experience. There are a lot of guys who got RFE for color copy. Search forums if you want proof.

meg_z
06-22-2007, 03:52 PM
USCIS filing fee - $180.00 check payable to 'United States Citizenship and Immigration Service' OR 'USCIS' with your SSN# and I-765 mentioned in the comments section of the check

Thanks.

royus77
06-22-2007, 04:00 PM
correct me if i'm wrong , but you can get 140 approval notice requesting thru' FOI Act don't u ...

so after 6 months of filing 485 ( given that u have the receipt notice ) u r pretty much free to take your process with u.

You wont get the copy of I 140 using FOI act ( its a company document) unless your employer/Attorney is willing to share with you.You dont require copy of I 140 to move after 6 months using AC21 . All you need to know that you are moving to a similar position .for that a copy of your approved LC is sufficient

priderock
06-22-2007, 04:39 PM
And wait for RFE.

Can you please point me to a link where USCIS asking for a color copy of DL and Passport? My lawyer did not even ask for copy of the DL and B/W copy of the passport was good enough.

gc_aspirant_prasad
06-22-2007, 04:46 PM
My attorney didnt ask for DL copies, but did require color copies of passport.
Guess, its different with each lawyer based on their experience.

WillIBLucky
06-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Its against law to take color copies of ID, passport, DOB etc in Michigan. So you should not take color copies as it would mean you are breaking a federal law.

b/w copies are more than enough for ID and passport. But, the ID should be enlarged in b/w.

rock
06-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Hi voldemar,
I am also in the similar but not exact situation. Recently I changed the employer. My new employer is going to file I-140 and I-485 using the Labor substitution.I also want to file EAD and AP but the company attorney is saying it is safer to file the EAD and AP once the I-140 is approved. Can any one please answer this is true or not? Should I wait for I-140 to be approved or should I try convince the attorney to file EAD and AP also along with I-140 and I-485. I have one more question which is if We do not file the EAD and AP along with the I-485 and once the priority dates are retrogessed. Can we file EAD and AP even though the priority dates are not current and our I-485 is pending?

I would appreciate the answers and any official links if available.
Thanks

eb3_2004
06-23-2007, 08:28 AM
I am filling I485 for my spouse..In part 2 of the application which option should i choose for spouse( a and b sound logical for spouse). please tell me which one to fill

voldemar
06-23-2007, 09:43 AM
I also want to file EAD and AP but the company attorney is saying it is safer to file the EAD and AP once the I-140 is approved.
For AP it doesn't matter approved I-140 or not. For EAD it's safer not to use it till I-140 approval. I would apply for it and hold just in case. Also your spouse can use EAD without I-140 approval, she/he can switch back to H4 if 140 is denied. I's critical for main applicant to maintain H1/L1 status.

if We do not file the EAD and AP along with the I-485 and once the priority dates are retrogessed. Can we file EAD and AP even though the priority dates are not current and our I-485 is pending?Yes, you can continue to file and use AD and AP while dates retrogressed.

rock
06-23-2007, 10:25 AM
For AP it doesn't matter approved I-140 or not. For EAD it's safer not to use it till I-140 approval. I would apply for it and hold just in case. Also your spouse can use EAD without I-140 approval, she/he can switch back to H4 if 140 is denied. I's critical for main applicant to maintain H1/L1 status.
Yes, you can continue to file and use AD and AP while dates retrogressed. Thanks Volemar for the reply. Do you have any official link for both these answers? I just want to apply EAD along with I-140 and I-485. I will not use EAD until the I-140 is approved. Every time I talk to my employer and attorney, they always ask me about the proof in form of any official uscis link for any damn thing.
Any help would be highly appreciated.

voldemar
06-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Thanks Volemar for the reply. Do you have any official link for both these answers? I just want to apply EAD along with I-140 and I-485. I will not use EAD until the I-140 is approved. Every time I talk to my employer and attorney, they always ask me about the proof in form of any official uscis link for any damn thing.
Any help would be highly appreciated.There could not be any official links for that. The question is too broad. Search Murthy.com and other lawyer web site about H1 and EAD.
Also ask your lawyer what do they mean by "safer"?

gcpain
06-25-2007, 11:07 AM
I was working with employer -A till 2006 and got I140 approved (June 2003 priority date) in EB3. In November 2006 I joined employer B as it is good for my carrier. I talk to employer A (body shopper) and he is ready to support for my green card as I worked for him for six long years and still he did not cancel my old H1B. My main aim here is to apply I485 as soon as I can.

1. I have two options here my old employer (A) is body-shopper. So he will agree for both future or current employment. I have very good permanent job and bright future prospects with new employer (B). In this case what you guys advice me? Apply I485 as future employment or quit present job and join old employer (A) and apply I485 as current employment?

2. If I do not join old employer (with whom I have I140 approved) now, in this case what are my options for I485 applying? (Only future employment I485/ I can file current employment I485 and not drawing any salary from old employer )

3. Will I485 as future employment has any problems?

4. Can I use AC21 after 180 days on my I485 future employment application?

5. My new employer (B) already applied PERM LC for my GC in EB2 three months back and did not here anything from Atlanta DOL till now. What you guys advice me? Is it worthful to wait for this new EB2 LC or apply I485 as future employment with approved I140-EB3 with priority date June 2003.

I am in really dilemma and unable to decide. Appreciate your advice in this matter. Thanks in advance to all your replies and wish you best of luck.

a_yaja
06-25-2007, 02:02 PM
Gurus,
A lot of information has been posted regarding items required for I-485 filing. However, I was not able to find one that was broken down form-wise. Hence, I came up with a list after going through the three forms individually. Please help me correct it by changing wrong info/ adding any ommisions on my part.

I-485 Check List
• Birth Certificate
• Copy of page with nonimmigrant visa
• Photos – 2 nos.
• Write A# or name with a pencil on the back of the photos
• Finger Printing (this is done after the I-485 is filed)
• Medical Exam Form (I-693)
• Form G-325A (this does not have a check list)
Evidence of Status
o Copy of I-94 showing admission to the United States
o Copy of approval of I129 extension (H1B extension notice) for primary
o Copy of approval of I539 (H4 extension)
• Employment Letter from Employer (original)
Evidence of eligibility
o Copy of I-140 approval (primary applicant)
o Copy of Marriage Certificate (derivative status)
• Filing Fee

I-131 Check List
• Govt. ID (driver’s lic. Or passport)
• AOS Receipt (not required for first time filing along with I-485 form)
• Photos – 2 nos.
• Letter explaining why you require AP
• Filing Fee

I-765 Check List (submit in following order)
• Copy of I-94 (front and back)
• Copy of last EAD (for renewal only)
• Photos – 2 nos.
• Filing Fee

bigboy007
06-30-2007, 05:57 AM
Sorry didnt follow up this thread , i dont know why USCIS is asking for colored copies , Passport i dont know but i have seen in clearly through state of ILLINOIS website some where about ITS ILLEGAL TO TAKE ID COLOR COPIES i noticed this when i am taking photo copy color and fedex kinko's person and tore away the color copy and said we both will be at risk as its strictly illegal. I dont know about other states and hence said so , let the RFE come i will then send it for DL; i am sending the one for passport in color though. i enquired with my lawyer he said thats fine just to update you .They might be asking it for clarity in picture i achieved the same using color copier but B/W with light tone effect. It came really good. I hope that useful.

sands_14
06-30-2007, 06:48 AM
I am writing on original.But entries finished.Where should I write as I have 8entries instead of 6

bigboy007
06-30-2007, 06:54 AM
Good question are u talking about G325A i dont know whether this is the right way but what i did is filled up another form with rest of details in table col as you might need to do this 4 times as they need four copies of same form , dont copy it though as bottom left no.s differ , may be others can suggest a better approach?

Project_A
07-19-2007, 07:37 PM
I submitted latest I-94 copy only; I do not have copies of all of my previous I-94's. Is it OK as long as we submitted copies of prior visa approvals?.

Thanks
Project_A

apb
07-19-2007, 08:02 PM
My lawyer is asking for the tax returns for last three years for 485 filing??? I read W2s in the USCIS list but I do not know why he is asking for tax returns?? Any clue.....

USCIS also checks whether you have been paying taxes. W2 alone does not help.

apb
07-19-2007, 08:03 PM
USCIS also checks whether you have been paying taxes. W2 alone does not help.

I meant paying = filing taxes

rbhatia88
07-27-2007, 09:38 PM
I filed for I-485 for my son on 2nd July but did not receive the receipt so far. My son is turning 21 next month, my lawyer is guiding me to file for F-1 for my son to be on the safe side. Is filing for F-1 going to effect the I-485. What will happen if approved F-1 comes before receipt?

Anyone can help me with this issue?

aps
08-09-2007, 12:20 AM
:rolleyes:I mailed my I-485 application on July30 and it is delivered on next day.
My lawyer send me the I-485 froms before the july 30, 07 y revision and i used those forms for filing. But, FAQ3 released by uscis today states that we have to use the form version dated “7/30/07 Y”. . WHAT IS THIS? Do i have to resend the application again? More over i do not see difference between these two forms.

I have copied the question from faq3. It is the first question.
Q33: When filing an EB I-485 using the old fee, what version of the I-485 form do we use?
A33: The current I-485 form version dated “7/30/07 Y” should be used.

Please explain if you have any idea about this.

ps57002
08-15-2007, 07:07 AM
are color copies necessary. I'm clueless and trust lawyer's office to know..they seem they know what they are doing. I wasn't asked to make copies, just bring in my recent passport (i have 3 old ones...been in this country too long on F-1 etc) and I'm assuming she made color copies..not sure. Is that trouble?

Also do you NEED to submitt ALL your previous stay details on F1 etc and have all docs related to that. They didn't ask me all that, only H1 stuff as I've been in USA for 16 yrs, so it's hard to give everything related to that...

Please advise. I know I will get RFE anyways as I don't have time to get the medical done and will be submitting without that and most likely with a copy of PERM, not actual hard copy, since it won't come on time.

Plz advise....thanks...oh and the fees are? Nervous. lawyer made me make checks payable to USCIS and I see some people sayng "dept of homeland security"...please advise.

rustum
08-21-2007, 12:03 AM
Hi,
My company filed EAD for me and my wife along with 485 recently. I am on L1 and My wife is on L2. Is is possible to file one more EAD on L2 status. Looks like, we can get EAD on L2 faster than EAD with 485. My company attorney is suggesting me not to file one more EAD because one with 485 is pending with USCIS. Is it ok to file one more with L2? how long it will take to get EAD on 485 and EAD on L2.

rustum
08-21-2007, 11:10 AM
Hi,
My company filed EAD for me and my wife along with 485 recently. I am on L1 and My wife is on L2. Is is possible to file one more EAD on L2 status. Looks like, we can get EAD on L2 faster than EAD with 485. My company attorney is suggesting me not to file one more EAD because one with 485 is pending with USCIS. Is it ok to file one more with L2? how long it will take to get EAD on 485 and EAD on L2. Any help??

kicca
08-29-2007, 02:09 PM
found this old (aug 2002) but still interesting pdf that may help if nothing else to clarify some of the acronyms used in the I485 process:

www.ilw.com/seminars/august2002_citation2b.pdf

kicca
08-29-2007, 02:11 PM
yes, it is the I485 STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE...

sands_14
09-23-2007, 10:03 AM
I e-filed my EAD and AP;but when I sent the supporting documentation to the PO Box in Mesquite,Texas;it was not delivered on Friday,a notice was left.I am very anxious if it comes back.Is there a Phone Number I can call to ask them Reason for Non-delivery;what should I do???Is there an address different from the PO Box where I can FEDEX

kriskris
09-23-2007, 02:15 PM
I e-filed my EAD and AP;but when I sent the supporting documentation to the PO Box in Mesquite,Texas;it was not delivered on Friday,a notice was left.I am very anxious if it comes back.Is there a Phone Number I can call to ask them Reason for Non-delivery;what should I do???Is there an address different from the PO Box where I can FEDEX
sands_14,
This is quite common. I had the same thing happened. Even I have E-filed my EAD/AP last week. The way how it works is, since it is a post box USPS leaves the notice in there for all the deliveries. Once in a day, someone from USCIS picks those notices from the post box, goes to USPS and collects all the packages. Check your status back on Monday evening, it will say delivered.

empee99
09-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Hi,
I have a EAD L2 Based valid till 2009. I havent worked in US till now after getting EAD. Now I have to travel to India for a Month. What will be the procedure to retain my EAD after I come back to US after 30 day.
Please Guide Me

Mahesh

praveenat11
09-24-2007, 12:48 PM
Hi,
I m in the process of filing for I-485
The problem is that i have my Date Of Birth Certificate in Telugu.
For filing of I-485 i need it in English so what is the solution for my problem.
I need to file my I-485 within 2 to 3 days.

senk1s
09-24-2007, 01:00 PM
check with your attorney if a birth certificate issued by the consulate is ok

They provide it based on the passport - and then you may attach an affidavit

gc_chahiye
09-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Hi,
I have a EAD L2 Based valid till 2009. I havent worked in US till now after getting EAD. Now I have to travel to India for a Month. What will be the procedure to retain my EAD after I come back to US after 30 day.
Please Guide Me

Mahesh

you dont have to do anything. Based on your L2 petition you will get an I-94
valid till 2009. Since your EAD is unexpired, you can continue working once you come back. EAD is authorization to work, completely unrelated to your travel to India and back. What exactly are you worried about?

praveenat11
09-24-2007, 01:14 PM
can say me the format of affidavit from a lawyer or from a professional translator

praveenat11
09-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Hi,
Appreciate ur quick response.
so i need to get the affidavit from notary signed that it is a true translation from telugu to english so this is a replacement of English DOB Certificate.

nlssubbu
09-24-2007, 01:52 PM
PLease advise.
Thanks

I do not think that copies of DL is necessary. Please double check with your attoney before sending them.

nlssubbu
09-24-2007, 01:55 PM
check with your attorney if a birth certificate issued by the consulate is ok

They provide it based on the passport - and then you may attach an affidavit

I do not think that USCIS accept the birth certificate provided by Consulate. You may either get an affidavit or can get a copy of the certificate truly attested from your birth place based on your birth records. If you do not have a birth certificate, you may also need a NC (No Certificate) from your local authority as a proof along with the affidavit.

gc_chahiye
09-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Hi,
so i need to get the affidavit from notary signed that it is a true translation from telugu to english so this is a replacement of English DOB Certificate.

actually your friend who does the translation will sign the form in front of the notary. Your friend is saying that this is a true translation, and the Notary is simply attesting that he saw your friend sign and this was indeed signed by your friend (ie. you did not make this up). The notary does not need to know Telugu, so cant certify that the translation is accurate. Notaries will typically only attest to the fact that the signature on the form is by the right person, they dont carea bout the contents of the form. to summarize:
- friend translates and certifies the translation
- notary puts a stamp on that saying this was indeed signed by your friend.

of course if you find a notary who also does translations, then you could use that too.

nlssubbu
09-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Hi,

It will be much better if this is done in India by your relatives, get it notorized. They can scan it and send it as an attachement through e-mail, which you can print it over here.

This will be much quicker rather than trying to find someone authorized to do this translation over here.

praveenat11
09-24-2007, 09:40 PM
do we need to submit original affidavits for i-485 filing?

immigal
09-26-2007, 12:44 PM
No. Please attach copy of the affidavit. If you are called for interview, carry the original affidavit with you. This is what my attorney did..send the copy.

villamonte6100
09-26-2007, 12:50 PM
its illegal to take color photocopies of driver licences, ONLY send b/w

You dont make sense.

There is no law that says it is illegal to take color photocopies of driver license.

I've done that many times.

praveenat11
09-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Thanks immigal for ur help

kumar1
09-26-2007, 02:09 PM
^^^^^^^^^^

xx

sands_14
09-27-2007, 09:56 AM
I got I485 receipt and FP notice last month.
I got my fingerprinting done in september .
After talking to my lawyer,I finally applied for my EAD and AP online.
I got the EAD receipt 2 days back (very quick I guess) and now I have received another FP notice based on EAD notice.
Is there some error?Do I have to go again for Fingerprinting???Anyone knows something?

sands_14,
This is quite common. I had the same thing happened. Even I have E-filed my EAD/AP last week. The way how it works is, since it is a post box USPS leaves the notice in there for all the deliveries. Once in a day, someone from USCIS picks those notices from the post box, goes to USPS and collects all the packages. Check your status back on Monday evening, it will say delivered.

empee99
09-27-2007, 12:51 PM
you dont have to do anything. Based on your L2 petition you will get an I-94
valid till 2009. Since your EAD is unexpired, you can continue working once you come back. EAD is authorization to work, completely unrelated to your travel to India and back. What exactly are you worried about?

I am worried bcoz, on my EAD card its written "NOT VALID FOR REENTRY TO U.S."

what does this mean?

Please advise.
Thanks
Mahesh

ponnuswamyp
09-27-2007, 12:57 PM
I am worried bcoz, on my EAD card its written "NOT VALID FOR REENTRY TO U.S."

what does this mean?

Please advise.
Thanks
Mahesh

It means you can not use EAD as a travel document to reenter to U.S. You should have valid Visa for reentry.

dankusam
12-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Hi could someone please show me how to write the letter to explain reason for AP? Should I explain why I am leaving or emphasize on the need to come back?

Also, in the e-filing form the oversea address is not required as it does on the paper form, should I provide it anyway as the supporting doc?

Thanks much!!

asia2america
01-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Hi! I am planning to apply EAD on my own as I could no longer afford to pay my expensive lawyer, but there I am not sure how to answer question 13 in the form which says, "Have you ever before applied for employment authorization from USCIS? Since I was and still am on H1, should I answer yes? Please help. Thanks.

meimmi
03-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Hi! I am planning to apply EAD on my own as I could no longer afford to pay my expensive lawyer, but there I am not sure how to answer question 13 in the form which says, "Have you ever before applied for employment authorization from USCIS? Since I was and still am on H1, should I answer yes? Please help. Thanks.

You can e-file(online) for EAD and AP. I applied online and received EAD within 45 days. I had to go to ASC for fingerprinting again though. The answer to that question is No if you are applying for EAD for the first time.

akhilmahajan
03-09-2008, 08:33 PM
When u say Efile, do u have to send any paperwork.
Also, everytime we renew EAD, so we need to go for Fingerprinting.

As far as i understood, FP is good for 15 months.

Thanks.

meimmi
03-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Yes, for e-file you need to send the supporting docs by mail. In my case, I sent the copy of I-485 ASC biometrics notice which has mention of the receipt # and A # as proof of my AOS pending, copy of I-94, copy of the e-filing confirmation (Printout). You do not need to send photo as that will be taken during fingerprinting. The separate fingerprint is needed for e-file only. They take print of 1 finger. If you send your EAD papers with I-485, the 485 fingerprnt covers all I think. I do not think we need to go for fingerprint again for EAD renewal, though with USCIS that may be possible. ;)

god_bless_you
03-16-2008, 01:33 PM
http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/TransformationConOps_Mar07.pdf

One more link from USCIS which has more details on the process
Adjudicator's Field Manual - Redacted Public Version from USCIS web site

http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVAP.jsp?dockey=724ce55f1a60168e48ce159d28615 0e2

pkv
03-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Hi,
We filed I-485 july last year, but didn't file for EAD.

Now I want to file EAD for me and my wife, she is on H4 right now.

The main posting talks about filing everything together.
Anyone know which all forms I need to send when applying only for EAD? do we need send any other form than I-765?

I filed in nebraska, but case is with texas service center now. Where should I mail my forms? Texas or Nebraska?

Thanks,

pkv
03-17-2008, 07:20 PM
another thing...

Can I send both of our (me and my wife) applications in the same package?
I couldn't find this info anywhere, even in instructions pdf on uscis website.

Thanks,
P.

sanjay02
03-17-2008, 09:08 PM
Hi
I have the following questions about I-131.

On I-131

Part 4. Information about your proposed travel.?

Can I answer to visit parents?

CantLeaveAmerica
03-17-2008, 09:36 PM
For people who want to file I-485 filing on their own. Since 485 filing requires only one document from the employer (Employer's letter saying you have the job and its the same job description), its possible to file 485 by oneself without additional help from lawyer or employer. This is a thread for that purpose. Even those who have the help and attention of a good lawyer can use this thread for guidance. This is the initial list of documents that are required for 485 filing and the optional EAD and AP filing. The fee structure is scheduled to change after July 30th. The fees listed below are applicable now thru July 29th.

I-485 DOCUMENT CHECKLIST

1. Payment Checks (USCIS Filing Fees $325.00 in favor of 'United States Citizenship and Immigration Service' OR 'USCIS').

Original fee plus $70.00 biometrics services fee if you are 14 years of age or older. If you are under 14 years of age, the fee is $225.00 with no biometric services fee. If you are 79 years of age or older, the fee is $325.00 with no biometrics services fee.

Fillable I-485 form:

Application is sent to:

USCIS Nebraska Service Center

P.O. Box 87485

Lincoln, NE 68501-7485

2. Form G-28 one with each Application form. Dont need this if you are doing it on your own without the lawyer. If doing on your own, you can fill out G-28 for your spouse, if you are filling out the forms and doing paperwork for your spouse. G-28 shows that the applicant is being represented etc. If you and your spouse are both filling out your own forms and signing them then you may not need G-28 for anything.

3. Two Photographs per 1-485,1-131,1-765

4. Completed form 1-485 for Adjustment of Status

5. Completed Period of Stay form. Completed in chronological order starting with first entry into US, and all changes of status, extensions, exits and entries, down to your current status.

6. Evidence of Valid Nonimmigrant Status:

Copies of both sides of any and all 1-94 cards
Copies of all 1-797 approval notices
Copies of any and all I-20's (if applicable, both sides)
Copies of all IAP 66 forms
Copies of all PT Work Authorization Cards (if applicable)
Copies of All pages of passport - INCLUDING BLANK PAGES AND PLEASE DO NOT MAKE TWO SIDED COPIES; ONE COPY PER PAGE AND MAKE SURE THAT COPIES ARE LEGIBLE

COMPLETED FORM G-325A Biographic Sheet

I-693 form( Every civil surgeon mostly has this form)

Completed Form 1-693 Medical Examination (SEALED) along with copy of list of INS approved Civil Surgeons
Birth Certificates and Marriage Certificate COPIES and other evidence of birth/marriage. One marriage certificate needed per person
Employment Letter in Format
Original for employee, copy for all other

I-765/EAD DOCUMENT CHECKLIST (Optional)

Documents required for EAD/I-765 per person:
Completed Form I-765 (EAD):
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-765.pdf
2 photos(full frontal)
Copy of past EAD card front/back sides
Copy of recent I-94 card (both sides)
Copy of visa page of passport in color
Copy of driver's license
Copy of I-485 receipt notice (if applicable)
Copy of I-140 approval notice
Copy of Marriage certificate (if applying for spouse)

I-131/Advance Parole DOCUMENT CHECKLIST (Optional)

Documents required for Advance parole/ I-131 per person:
Completed form I-131
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-131.pdf
2 photos (full frontal)
USCIS filing fee - $170.00 check payable to 'United States Citizenship and Immigration Service' OR 'USCIS' with your SSN# and I-131 mentioned in the comments section of the check
copy of EAD card front/back sides,
Copy of I-94 card,
Copy of visa page of passport in color,
Copy of driver's license,
Copy of I-485 receipt notice,
Copy of I-140 approval notice,
Copy of Marriage certificate,
Copy of birth certificate for children and a letter explaining the reason for travel
Signed statement requesting advance parole

You are a banned member..you shouldn't be posting!!

Kodi
04-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Does anyone have the format of the employment letter? My attorney didn't request one even when I emailed him few time.

Form I-140 has an area to write the wages per week? The amount my attorney wrote is wages for the year. Is this ok?

Thank you.

rayen
04-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Does anyone have the format of the employment letter? My attorney didn't request one even when I emailed him few time.

Form I-140 has an area to write the wages per week? The amount my attorney wrote is wages for the year. Is this ok?

Thank you.

USCIS – Texas Service Center
Attention: I-485 Unit
Mesquite, TX 75185-1488

Dear Sir/Madam
This letter is to confirm our intent to continue employing Mr. XXX on a full-time basis of 40 hours per week as an Oracle Systems Analyst with a wage of $XX.XX per hour upon obtaining his U.S.Permanent Residence. All of the terms and conditions of the employment-based labor certification continue to exist.

As an XXXXXX, his duties entail:

Job description( Detail)

Sincerely,

Name and Title of Signer

Kodi
04-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Thank you so much.

So is it correct if I take the annual salary and divide by 52 and then by 40 to get the hourly basis?

Kodi
04-02-2008, 10:15 AM
bump

setpit_gc
04-16-2008, 01:19 PM
All,

Do I need to send the following documents for AP renewal?.

1. H1B or H4
2. EAD

Thanks

setpit_gc
04-22-2008, 02:15 AM
Hi

I am on H1 and have approved EAD.

Do I need to send H1 copy or EAD copy along with other documents for AP renewal?

Thanks for your help!.

desierto
08-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Dear All,
My whole family is applying for I-485 and advance parole based on my I-140. Who has to sign my children I-131 (part 8-9).
Thank you in advance,
Desierto

jsquare
08-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Hi,

This is for EAD Renewal (I-765)

I was working on H1 till May 08 now I am working on EAD

What should I write in column 15.(Current Immigration Status) in I-765 form

When I was on H1 in 2007, during first time EAD appliaction I filled with H1B

Please advice.

Thanks
J

reedandbamboo
09-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Hi,

This is for EAD Renewal (I-765)

I was working on H1 till May 08 now I am working on EAD

What should I write in column 15.(Current Immigration Status) in I-765 form

When I was on H1 in 2007, during first time EAD appliaction I filled with H1B

Please advice.

Thanks
J

I have the same question.

laudo
09-28-2008, 08:34 PM
I finally got my green card after starting the process 3 years ago (most of the delay was because of a slight mistake of the part of my employee - a university - on the interpretation of how much experience I had and how much experience I was supposed to have to be an acceptable candidate for the job). Anyway, I filed the I-485 last February and received the green card last week. Meanwhile, the USCIS requested additional evidence twice, which probably delayed the decision by 1 to 2 months: first, they inquired on the legal status of my stay in the US - I came as a ph.d. student in 2000, requiring me to send copies of I-20s, I-94s, passport, visas, and a letter detailing dates and place of entry to and exit from the US; second, they requested evidence on bona fide marriage (we got married at the end of 2006), so I had to send our joint rent, insurances, credit card, and bank account contracts.
So this was my experience. Took some time, but it was successful. My advice for self-filing is that you send all of this together with the I-485 to avoid delays with these request for additional evidence.
By the way, I'm from Brazil and I'm an assistant professor in a state university.
Last, I'd like to thank everybody who provides helpful information in this forum.

cestmoi
01-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Hi Folks

I'm here in the US on a L1A visa and would like to apply for Green Card (I'm assuming i-485) soon. My wife who is currently outside of US has recently received her L2 visa within one business day I may add! So, we're waiting for her to join me here in the States within two months as she is currently working abroad and needs to wait for her bonus $...

In any case, I was thinking of applying for an EAD for her in conjunction of i-485, but I've been reading that others who are holding a H1 visa is also applying for an EAD (why on earth for?!) as you are allowed to work on H1 already no? I thought EAD is authorization to work only??

In my case, my wife needs EAD in order to work as L2 only allows her entry to the States and her visa would "clone" mine (ie. whatever my expiry date is, hers will expire).

Should I also apply for EAD too even though my L1a visa already permits me to work legally here in the US?

cestmoi
01-11-2009, 11:46 PM
Am I blind or is part 2 missing one more option?

None of the options apply to me below as I will be applying for employment based Green Card as I have a L1A visa (unless I'm not supposed to be filling out i-485?)

a. An immigrant petition giving me an immediately available immigrant visa number has been approved (attach a copy of the approval notice, or a relative, special immigrant juvenile, or special immigrant military visa petition filed...

b. My spouse or parent applied for adjustment of status or was granted lawful permanent residence in an immigrant visa category that allows derivative status for spouses and children

c. I entered as a K-1 fiance(e) of a US citizen whom I married within 90 days of entry...

d. I was granted asylum or derivative asylum status as the spouse or child of a person granted asylum and am eligible for adjustment.

e. I am a native or citizen of Cuba admitted or paroled into the US after Jan 1, 1959...

f. I am the husband, wife or minor unmarried child of a Cuban described above in (e)....

g. I have continously resided in the US since before Jan 1, 1972

h. Other basis of eligibility. Explain (for example, I was admitted as a refugee, my status has not been terminated, and I have been physically present in the US for 1 year...

pointlesswait
07-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Does anyone have the list of latest set documents required to file for 485.... can you plzzzz email/post it here... thanks

can it be done without the help of an attorney...????

spicy_guy
07-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Does anyone have the list of latest set documents required to file for 485.... can you plzzzz email/post it here... thanks

Its YOUR application to USCIS. You don't need an attorney.
Go to USCIS and search for docs required.

spicy_guy
07-12-2010, 05:56 PM
:)Anything can be done without an attorney....the issue arises if USCIS or DOl comes back with a question. Best thing is to put in some money, pay an attorney and let them handle it.
Most of the immigration stuff is simple if everything is clean....but you never know.

Why pay for an attorney unless your case is complicated?
Its straightforward and you can do it on your own.

Again, if your case is a bit different and needs a lot of documentation, you would need an attorney.

dreamgc_real
07-13-2010, 08:43 AM

Check out the USCIS site: USCIS - Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=3faf2c1a6855d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCR D)
You can download the form as well as the instruction to fill out the firm.

As for filing it on your own - depends on how confident you are in your abilities to follow the instructions!!!!!!!!! Just kidding... Try filling the form on a copy.........

permfiling
07-28-2010, 05:25 PM
I am self filing out the AOS forms , since some of the fields do not take more then the specificed strings, I wanted to see if I can mix handwriting as well as keyboard input data in the same form?

Any opinions?

cookbook
11-27-2010, 09:22 AM
I am trying to self file I765, I want to paperfile since I don't want to go for photos and other stuff to the Uscis center. My lawyer has filed my earlier applications for employment authorization and parole. He has filled all my previous employment authorization dates on the I765 forms, however I cannot fill more than 2 dates on the I765 forms, do I convert the form into word and fill it and reconvert it back? I have to file next week, please help.

permfiling
11-27-2010, 07:37 PM
You can add additional white paper sheet and mention the section number and details.

diptam
11-27-2010, 11:49 PM
hey - My July's EAD app was my 3rd and I filed up the date and details of just the 2nd EAD.
Mine was a paper App - I filled and then printed the form. They approved it after 76 days.
, mailed it after 87 days and I got got EAD at hand in 91 days.

Didn't provide any details about 1st EAD ... they can easily find it out - if needed :)

I am trying to self file I765, I want to paperfile since I don't want to go for photos and other stuff to the Uscis center. My lawyer has filed my earlier applications for employment authorization and parole. He has filled all my previous employment authorization dates on the I765 forms, however I cannot fill more than 2 dates on the I765 forms, do I convert the form into word and fill it and reconvert it back? I have to file next week, please help.

DudefromBombay
12-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Friends,

I received the I485 receipt notices for my spouse and I. I decided to file I765 and I131 myself as my lawyer was charging a hefty sum.

I came to US as a student and had applied for EAD (OPT) before

in that regard,

Do I have to indicate 'Yes' to question

11. Have you ever before applied for employment authorization from USCIS?

Thanks in advance

rxd9507IV
12-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Friends,

I received the I485 receipt notices for my spouse and I. I decided to file I765 and I131 myself as my lawyer was charging a hefty sum.

I came to US as a student and had applied for EAD (OPT) before

in that regard,

Do I have to indicate 'Yes' to question

11. Have you ever before applied for employment authorization from USCIS?

Thanks in advance

I am not sure about right or wrong but my attorney included my OPT EAD information and indicated yes to the question in my case.

rxd9507IV
12-16-2011, 07:08 PM
I am self filing out the AOS forms , since some of the fields do not take more then the specificed strings, I wanted to see if I can mix handwriting as well as keyboard input data in the same form?

Any opinions?

Let me start out by saying, I personally recommend hiring an attorney, given the sensitivity of the form but to answer your question, No I would not complicate the form by mixing apples and oranges.

A better approach would be to have a white paper and redirection in the question - Please refer to section ....... I find a good resource on these types of questions as well.

Good luck with your form.

DudefromBombay
12-16-2011, 07:13 PM
I am not sure about right or wrong but my attorney included my OPT EAD information and indicated yes to the question in my case.
Thanks

DudefromBombay
12-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Did anyone in the forum apply for I765 and I131 after I485 had already been filed with USCIS.

If so,

Do you have a checklist of documents that you sent alongwith the

I765

I131

As I understand, filing fees are not necessary and only 2 X (2X2) photographs for each applicant and copy of I485 receipts notices are sufficient. Let me know if I am missing anything

Appreciate your response.

Thanks!

krishmunn
12-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Fed up with my attorney's slow response, I am filling up all the forms myself and completing the entire packet of docs. It will still go through Attorney eventually but I am trying to speed up things.

Have a few questions --

1) Do we need to complete G-325a form ?

2) Can someone list the order in which documents, photos and forms (485, G-325a, 131, 765) should be arranged ?

3) I got a list of docs from Attorney . What docs need to be attached to my spouse and child's form ?

Based on experience, any idea how much time an attorney normally takes to submit the docs ?

I am wondering if I should fly to Attorney's office for a day and make sure everythng is done. Will cost around $200 for flight and incidentals but may be worth.

njverifier
08-08-2012, 06:24 AM
Hello,

Can someone post the content of covering letter for AP renewal?

Appreciate your help!

Thanks