PDA

View Full Version : Visa appointment dates in Chennai consulate

slc_ut
05-28-2006, 06:31 PM
I am planning to take visa appointment in Chennai consulate for my 8th year H-1B extension and my wife's H-4. When i checked the vfs website yesterday, dates were open for last week of Sep'2006. Today it is already showing only dates in Nov'2006 as open dates. Howcome Oct'2006 dates never showed up. Were the appointments finished that fast for Oct'2006 ? Any other members who observed this, please post your thoughts.

Prashant
05-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Hello,
I have recently taken an appoinment at chennai consulate for nov.. I had been looking into these dates for some time .. The website was showing october dates 2 weeks ago and once in a whle sept dates .. but recently they moved on to nov dates .. I guess oct dates might be full .. but could open up now and then as people withdraw and reschedule appoinments .. as of now i guess nov dates are available for appoinment

slc_ut
05-28-2006, 08:31 PM
hi, thanks for info. But one more question. Yes, now and then a date in Oct' 2006 is showing up. But, it will take time to fill all the forms after i proceed. What are the chances that i will get that date when other people are competing in real-time? Please post a reply.

Prashant
05-29-2006, 09:31 AM
Hi,
You can fill up these forms save and exit without picking a date ..
after u have save ur application it shouldnt take more than a minute when u want to pick a date .. I guess u got keeping looking ..

admin
05-29-2006, 09:48 AM
hi, thanks for info. But one more question. Yes, now and then a date in Oct' 2006 is showing up. But, it will take time to fill all the forms after i proceed. What are the chances that i will get that date when other people are competing in real-time? Please post a reply.

As per http://www.murthyindia.com/content/em_appt.html if you're working in the US and are returning back to work, you can qualify for emergency quota. Is this a viable option? My travel dates in Aug / Sep / Oct are not confirmed yet and so I am planning to take an emergency appointment only.

gc_bucs
05-29-2006, 10:11 AM
I recently got back from India and got my stamping done in New Delhi instead of Chennai. I tried taking the emergency quota option in Chennai and was not successful. I got fed up with the system and opted for New Delhi and the stamping process went without a hitch.

One thing I would suggest is to take all your previous H1 original docs as the consular asked me for mine to make sure I was always in status.

Good luck

As per http://www.murthyindia.com/content/em_appt.html if you're working in the US and are returning back to work, you can qualify for emergency quota. Is this a viable option? My travel dates in Aug / Sep / Oct are not confirmed yet and so I am planning to take an emergency appointment only.

ryanjoe_99
05-29-2006, 10:47 AM
I have an emergency to go to India to take care of my sickly mom and I need to return back to work on July first. I am also trying to get emergency appointment. I couldnt. Could you please suggest the way I can get emergency appointment in any of the consulate.

gc_bucs
05-29-2006, 11:40 AM
I think if you call them then they might be able to set up the emergency appt. I got a bit frustrated by their process so I never called them.

I have an emergency to go to India to take care of my sickly mom and I need to return back to work on July first. I am also trying to get emergency appointment. I couldnt. Could you please suggest the way I can get emergency appointment in any of the consulate.

nlalchandani
05-29-2006, 12:09 PM
Is there any specific time the appointments show available..IST or CST..Maybe they have a batch job that runs and makes appt available ..

slc_ut
05-29-2006, 05:27 PM
OK Prashant, got it. Thanks.

Hi,
You can fill up these forms save and exit without picking a date ..
after u have save ur application it shouldnt take more than a minute when u want to pick a date .. I guess u got keeping looking ..

eb3retro
05-29-2006, 11:30 PM

sent u a pm pls respond. thanks

ravi
09-13-2006, 11:55 PM
I am eligible for emeregency appointment as I am coming to India to
attend visa interview as I got new i-20 for MBA program starting january
2007. Please I request you to provide me information on how to shcedule
intervie before dec10, 2006, so that accordingly I will buy the
flight tickets.

My international advisor in school will also provide me recommendation
if needed for emergency appointment, showing my need.

aj_jadeja
09-14-2006, 12:26 AM
now days there is a SEPRATE quota for RETURNING WORKERS in Us consulte for renewing stamp. I used it 6 months ago. I Went to VFS on 23rd Nov 2005 and got appt for 30th Nov for stamping @ mumbai consultate. Got stamped and collected passport same evening in person.

hope this helps .

perm2gc
09-14-2006, 01:35 AM
I have an emergency to go to India to take care of my sickly mom and I need to return back to work on July first. I am also trying to get emergency appointment. I couldnt. Could you please suggest the way I can get emergency appointment in any of the consulate. You can get appointment in any consulate in india for VISA revalidation.You can call them and collect more information.

https://www.vfs-usa.co.in/Home.aspx

caforum2
09-14-2006, 07:34 AM
for folks in US, you don't need to go to Chennai, You can chose whichever consulate you want. I choose New Delhi instead of Chennai recently and got appointment in 15 days in advance. I know Oct is full in Delhi, Kolkatta, Chennai and Mumbai. I would wait till Sept 20th to see Oct dats. Usually people book appointments and change the dates only closer to interview date.

gg_ny
09-14-2006, 09:52 AM
The VFS website is good for FAQ. Also, their email reply service is appreciable as I had my doubts cleared in 24 hrs cycle. You can also call them, they DO answer. The dates keeps changing because, I think, of cancellations and other eventualities. Usually, people make appointments anticipating , and keep changing it as their schedules change. You can reuse your payment id for 1 year and hence one could make appointment for a date, KEEP LOOKING, and if you find another suitable, then cancel and reschedule right away. I believe the calendar is live or almost live. They do allow emergency appointments but I am not clear wehther you could do it from here or you need to be present there. Typically, if you have a good travel agent/company, they can handle it better in your favor.
VFS email id that worked for me: info@vfs-usa.co.in

Hope this helps.

kumargn
11-15-2006, 09:24 PM
I just noticed that the dates in Chennai are not available for returning H1's. What should i do ??Can i book in any consulate ..

arnet
11-16-2006, 01:28 AM
you can use any of the consulates in india.

but usually dates opens up if any cancellation. check vfs site often. nowadays it is easier to get appt than it used to be.

disclaimer: I'm not an immigration attroney, so consult one for your situations as laws/procedures are changing often.

I just noticed that the dates in Chennai are not available for returning H1's. What should i do ??Can i book in any consulate ..

kumargn
11-24-2006, 06:23 PM
you can use any of the consulates in india.

but usually dates opens up if any cancellation. check vfs site often. nowadays it is easier to get appt than it used to be.

disclaimer: I'm not an immigration attroney, so consult one for your situations as laws/procedures are changing often.

Thanks arnet ,
As you mentioned i kept checking the chennai consulate, and it opened up like a blessing in disguise, with slots again and i was able to get my dates .Only problem was it forced me to cancel my earlier appointment and redo all the application again .That was because i had booked an appointment with Mumbai consulate in distress of not finding any with chennai .

arnet
11-24-2006, 07:20 PM
thatz gr8, always dont lose hope, keep trying....good luck...

Thanks arnet ,
As you mentioned i kept checking the chennai consulate, and it opened up like a blessing in disguise, with slots again and i was able to get my dates .Only problem was it forced me to cancel my earlier appointment and redo all the application again .That was because i had booked an appointment with Mumbai consulate in distress of not finding any with chennai .