Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > Immigrant Visa
Click to log in with Facebook
Immigrant Visa This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bearstory is infamous around these parts bearstory is infamous around these parts bearstory is infamous around these parts bearstory is infamous around these parts
Default Out of stutus F1 married to an US citizen questions?

Hello,
I came here as F1 visa but I'm out of stutus now. Here is some background:
I came here in september 2006 as F1 visa. I took 2 english quaters at the university then tranfer to another school in april 2007 ( Let calls them MSU). MSU gave me I 20 and it expried on March 2010. But due to financial problem, I did not register class at MSU after april 2007 so I was out of status. After that, I started register class at MSU in september 2008 and stoped in april 2009. I did not register any class after april 2009. I talked to my advicesor and she said, since I have been in school on and off so no matter that i went back to school some, I still out of stutus.

I have been my boyfriend for almost 3 years now and we want to get married ( He is an US citizen). I really dont know if i will get trouble because of my stutus or where to start? like what files do we have to fill, etc....
Any advice would be appreciate! Thank you so much for your time!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:28 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2012
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
deecha is on a distinguished road
Default Out of status F1 married to an US citizen questions?

If you get married to him you shouldn't have any issue. After you get married you should have him file an immigrant petition (I-130) along with the adjustment of status (I-485). You will also have to file a biographic information sheet (G-325) along with an affidavit of support (I-864) and medical examination (I-693). You can also file for employment authorization (EAD), form I-765 if you want to work and Advance parole (I-131) if you need to travel outside the US. Supporting documents such as birth certificates, marriage certificate and photos will be required.

All these forms are available at the USCIS website.

They will ask you to come for fingerprining at a biometric center in a few weeks.

After a few months, you will be called for an interview to determine if your marriage is bonafide. If successful, you will be given what's called a conditional residency. 90 days before the two year anniversary of your conditional residency, you and your husband have to jointly apply for removal of conditions (form I-751), upon which you will be granted full permanent residency. After the third year, if you're still married, you can apply for US Citizenship.

Goodluck with the process !

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and the advice in this post no way constitutes any kind of legal advice and I accept no liability for any of the advice in this post.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future
Default Advise

Don't give advise, if you are not sure.
Nobody can file AOS, if they are out of status.
If it was the case every one will make it that way.
Your advise is good, if she is in status. Filing I-485, AP, EAD ....ETC.
She need to consult a reputed immigration lawyer first before the marriage.
Out of status more than 6 months will trigger a ban from 3 to 10 years.

CONSULT A LAWYER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecha View Post
If you get married to him you shouldn't have any issue. After you get married you should have him file an immigrant petition (I-130) along with the adjustment of status (I-485). You will also have to file a biographic information sheet (G-325) along with an affidavit of support (I-864) and medical examination (I-693). You can also file for employment authorization (EAD), form I-765 if you want to work and Advance parole (I-131) if you need to travel outside the US. Supporting documents such as birth certificates, marriage certificate and photos will be required.

All these forms are available at the USCIS website.

They will ask you to come for fingerprining at a biometric center in a few weeks.

After a few months, you will be called for an interview to determine if your marriage is bonafide. If successful, you will be given what's called a conditional residency. 90 days before the two year anniversary of your conditional residency, you and your husband have to jointly apply for removal of conditions (form I-751), upon which you will be granted full permanent residency. After the third year, if you're still married, you can apply for US Citizenship.

Goodluck with the process !

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and the advice in this post no way constitutes any kind of legal advice and I accept no liability for any of the advice in this post.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealsnet View Post
Don't give advise, if you are not sure.
Nobody can file AOS, if they are out of status.
CONSULT A LAWYER.
Follow your own advice. You are incorrect here.

Out of Status is forgiven for I-130 Spouse of US Citizen as long as entry into USA was a legal one.

Rules are different if I-485 application is filed based on marriage to US citizen.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2012
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
deecha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by desi3933 View Post
Follow your own advice. You are incorrect here.

Out of Status is forgiven for I-130 Spouse of US Citizen as long as entry into USA was a legal one.

Rules are different if I-485 application is filed based on marriage to US citizen.

On a side note, i was going to add that out of status itself does not determine the start of the clock, for the 3 and 10 year bans, .. that would be "unlawful stay" determined from the expiration of the date on the I-94 OR an administrative determination of unlawful stay based on when they discovered the out of status situation. However, for the above purposes [GC based on marriage], this point is moot.

Last edited by deecha; 02-26-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstory View Post
Hello,
I came here as F1 visa but I'm out of stutus now. Here is some background:
I came here in september 2006 as F1 visa. I took 2 english quaters at the university then tranfer to another school in april 2007 ( Let calls them MSU). MSU gave me I 20 and it expried on March 2010. But due to financial problem, I did not register class at MSU after april 2007 so I was out of status. After that, I started register class at MSU in september 2008 and stoped in april 2009. I did not register any class after april 2009. I talked to my advicesor and she said, since I have been in school on and off so no matter that i went back to school some, I still out of stutus.

I have been my boyfriend for almost 3 years now and we want to get married ( He is an US citizen). I really dont know if i will get trouble because of my stutus or where to start? like what files do we have to fill, etc....
Any advice would be appreciate! Thank you so much for your time!
Both desi3933 and deechi are right.
on the side: You intend doing a course in English (may be to do a job). Your english tells all you care for english. You sure need to improve your english... even in an informal set up

Old 02-27-2010, 12:13 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/28/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Thank you. I was going to reply to Dealsnet and state that, but you beat me to it.

On a side note, i was going to add that out of status itself does not determine the start of the clock, for the 3 and 10 year bans, .. that would be "unlawful stay" determined from the expiration of the date on the I-94 OR an administrative determination of unlawful stay based on when they discovered the out of status situation. However, for the above purposes [GC based on marriage], this point is moot.
Moreover 3/10 ban will apply only when someone is trying to re-enter US. That means if you stay in US until you get green card ban will never affect.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future
Default Gc

That is why US consulate is not giving visit visa to Indian youths 15-35 years of age.
They know, these guys will come here and work then marry a US citizen to remain legal.
So need legal entry is required, then remain illegal, without any problem, just marry a US citizen.
This is giving a problem to deserving visit visa applicants.

Quote:
Thank you. I was going to reply to Dealsnet and state that, but you beat me to it.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bearstory is infamous around these parts bearstory is infamous around these parts bearstory is infamous around these parts bearstory is infamous around these parts

Thank you everyone for your reponds. We are going to have a wedding in August, 2010. Can we fill the I30 and other forms now or we have to wait until after the wedding?

Old 04-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dreamgc_real has much to be proud of dreamgc_real has much to be proud of dreamgc_real has much to be proud of dreamgc_real has much to be proud of dreamgc_real has much to be proud of dreamgc_real has much to be proud of dreamgc_real has much to be proud of dreamgc_real has much to be proud of dreamgc_real has much to be proud of dreamgc_real has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstory View Post
Thank you everyone for your reponds. We are going to have a wedding in August, 2010. Can we fill the I30 and other forms now or we have to wait until after the wedding?
definitely after you get married. one of the important papers to send in will be your proof of marriage (marriage certificate)!!!!!!!! can't rush these things.

advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 02:43 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Thank you everyone!
We want to get married in court ( simple) in late may, 2010 so we can fill all of the paper work but we are going to las vegas for the real ceremony in late september 2010. Do you think the USCIS will get suspicious?