Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > Immigrant Visa
Click to log in with Facebook
Immigrant Visa This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ganugapati is on a distinguished road
Default unemployment benefits on EAD

My current visa status is I-140 approved, I-485 pending, EAD and AP approved.

I was unemployed for the past 1 year and am thinking of applying for unemployment benefits. Will this cause any problem in my I-485 application like the employment agency informing the USCIS. Is there a way that the USCIS will find that I am currently unemployed because of applying for benefits and reject my GC.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganugapati View Post
My current visa status is I-140 approved, I-485 pending, EAD and AP approved.

I was unemployed for the past 1 year and am thinking of applying for unemployment benefits. Will this cause any problem in my I-485 application like the employment agency informing the USCIS. Is there a way that the USCIS will find that I am currently unemployed because of applying for benefits and reject my GC.
if your EAD is based on YOUR I-140, then I dont think you have a valid status. During AOS, you need to have a job in the same category the EAD is valid for, unless you are the dependent.

In AOS, you cannot apply for unemployment benefit as it will trigger an USCIS audit.
By US law, if you are unemployed and are PRESENT in the US, you are entitled to umemployment benefit as you paid into the system.
By law again, if you are in non-immigrant status (AOS is considered non-immigrant until you get the green card), and you lose your job, you have to leave the country or you will start accuring illegal stay.

Check with your lawyer before you do anything.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
United States
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Compare
dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts

I am assuming your GC is "employment based".

If so , the basis of your GC application and hence I485 is your employment. The moment you don't have employment , you loose the basis for your application.

By applying for the benefits , you are risking your application for GC. I thought there was a case where a person got denial based on their application for unemployment benefits.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future dealsnet has a brilliant future
Default Aos

In AOS, you are in status, even if you are not working. But you must have a valid job offer in hand. They must employ you immediately after your GC approval for the job with same description and salary. Any time USCIS can ask for the job letter.
For unemployment benifits, I don't know.
For empoyment based GC, candidates are suppose to work till get GC. Small gap is ok, if you have job offer. If you are laid off by the GC sponsering company and they are no longer in business means, you are out of status, if no other job or offer in hand.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Compare
joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute joydiptac has a reputation beyond repute
Default AOS - Unemployment Gap OK; Public charge NOT OK

By law: If you take Unemployment benefits => you have become public charge. If you become public charge => you broke AOS condition. Which requires you to be never be public charge. On top of that if you were still on H1b then that would have expired with you loosing your job. So that makes it a good case for removal proceedings if your case gets an audit (which is very likely).
Lookup a similar thread(removal proceedings) in IV.
Get legal help before making a decision like that.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joydiptac View Post
By law: If you take Unemployment benefits => you have become public charge. If you become public charge => you broke AOS condition. Which requires you to be never be public charge. On top of that if you were still on H1b then that would have expired with you loosing your job. So that makes it a good case for removal proceedings if your case gets an audit (which is very likely).
Lookup a similar thread(removal proceedings) in IV.
Get legal help before making a decision like that.
taking unemployment benefit is not public charge. while working, you pay into the unemployment. everytime you work, you and your employer pay for umemployment insurance which is managed by the US government. But to be eligible for umeployment insurance benefit, you have to be a legal permanent resident or a citizen.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Compare
redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute

So much of misinformation by many 'legal advisors'!

Please note that:

1. Unemployment benefits is not a public charge.

2. For getting unemployment benefits one need not be a citizen/permanent resident.

3. You don't acquire illegal stay if you have a valid I-485 pending.

Please read relevant FAQs at the USCIS webpage.
Don't rely on advices from ignorants who try to scare people!

Last edited by redgreen; 06-21-2010 at 09:32 PM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:41 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2006
Compare
bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of

I know of cases where AOS person got laid off and tool unemployment. Remember, GC is for the future. So a letter from a future employer...or being employed as GC is being approved will help. My 2 cents...but check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostrated View Post
if your EAD is based on YOUR I-140, then I dont think you have a valid status. During AOS, you need to have a job in the same category the EAD is valid for, unless you are the dependent.

In AOS, you cannot apply for unemployment benefit as it will trigger an USCIS audit.
By US law, if you are unemployed and are PRESENT in the US, you are entitled to umemployment benefit as you paid into the system.
By law again, if you are in non-immigrant status (AOS is considered non-immigrant until you get the green card), and you lose your job, you have to leave the country or you will start accuring illegal stay.

Check with your lawyer before you do anything.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Ann Ruben is just really nice Ann Ruben is just really nice Ann Ruben is just really nice Ann Ruben is just really nice

There are really two questions here. First, are you eligible for unemployment compensation? And second, will applying for unemployment compensation adversely impact your application for adjustment of status to lawful permanent resident?

The answer to the first question is controlled by the law of the particular state in which you worked and/or reside. In theory, to be eligible one must have worked long enough that an adequate amount of UC insurance was paid into the UC system, AND one must be willing and ABLE to accept new employment. The law varies from state to state with respect to whether someone in your situation qualifies as "ABLE" to accept new employment.

As to the second question, (assuming your I-140 has been approved and your I-485 has been pending for more than 180 days) under the INA, when your PD is reached and your I-485 is adjudicated, you are required to have the intention to take up an offer of permanent full time employment in the same or similar occupation for which your LC was granted. This is a prospective requirement, and your employment status prior to the actual grant of AOS is relevant only to the extent that it supports or undercuts your ability to prove that you have an appropriate offer of full time employment which you intend to take up. There is no requirement that you be employed while you are waiting for your priority date to become current and your I-485 to be adjudicated. However, being unemployed or employed in an entirely unrelated occupation could trigger USCIS to perform a more searching inquiry into the bona fides of the prospective AC21 qualifying job offer and your intention to accept it.

To the best of my knowledge, USCIS is not notified when an AOS applicant applies for UC. Similarly, I am not aware of any cases where an UC claim triggered an RFE. Nevertheless, it would be prudent to act on the assumption that USCIS is aware of UC claims and be well prepared to prove one's intention to take up a bona fide offer of AC 21 qualifying employment once your PD is reached.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:22 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Bobby80 is on a distinguished road
Default Applying for unemployment benefits as Green card/ EAD holder

Ann
Thank you for your post. I have recently received a green card through my spouse. I used to work in New York and lost my job in 2009 but never claimed benefits as I was not a permanent resident at that time. I got my green card in Jan2011. Can I apply now for unemployment benefits in NY state? I live in NYC and we pay taxes jointly since 2007. I have been unemployed for over 2 years now and am looking for jobs at the moment since I now have an EAD. Please advise. Thanks