Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > Immigrant Visa
Click to log in with Facebook
Immigrant Visa This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/07/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/09/2007
Compare
kk_kk is a splendid one to behold kk_kk is a splendid one to behold kk_kk is a splendid one to behold kk_kk is a splendid one to behold kk_kk is a splendid one to behold kk_kk is a splendid one to behold kk_kk is a splendid one to behold
Default copies of past I-94's

Lately we have been seeing, USCIS is asking for the proff of continious legal stay and one of the proof's is I-94.

Say, if one has not made copies of the past I-94's, is there a way we get them by writing a letter an agency ?

Thank You.
IL - State Chapter
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/15/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
meetpravee has a reputation beyond repute meetpravee has a reputation beyond repute meetpravee has a reputation beyond repute meetpravee has a reputation beyond repute meetpravee has a reputation beyond repute meetpravee has a reputation beyond repute meetpravee has a reputation beyond repute meetpravee has a reputation beyond repute meetpravee has a reputation beyond repute meetpravee has a reputation beyond repute meetpravee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Call Customs and Border Patrol

Call the toll free number (877-CBP-5511 ) of the customs and border patrol (Questions/Customer Service - CBP.gov). They can give you the location and number of your local city's office. Call your local city customs office and identify yourself using passport number. They may ask you some basic questions to verify your identity.

Inform the officer about the query from USCIS and ask them to give you the I-94 number, validity date. They wont give you a physical copy of I-94, but they will certainly tell you the I-94 number and expiry date. While responding to the RFE from USCIS, you can say that - "I-94 is taken back while leaving the country. Based on the call with Customs and Border patrol on so and so date and time, the I-94 number is blaw and validatity date is blaw blaw"

Your attorney should be able to write the above message in legal language. I had a similar RFE and I was able to call customs office and get all my I-94 information. When I called the local Customs and border patrol office, they picked up the phone immediately and they seem to be very friendly. Good luck.

Last edited by meetpravee; 07-16-2009 at 05:29 PM.

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/07/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/09/2007
Compare
kk_kk is a splendid one to behold kk_kk is a splendid one to behold kk_kk is a splendid one to behold kk_kk is a splendid one to behold kk_kk is a splendid one to behold kk_kk is a splendid one to behold kk_kk is a splendid one to behold

Thank you for your reply.
IL - State Chapter

Old 07-16-2009, 07:06 PM
US Immigration Attorney
Law Office of Elaine Martin
6333 E. Mockingbird Ln Ste 147-910
Dallas, Texas-75214
http://www.martinvisalaw.com
Thank the Attorney if this post is helpful
martinvisalaw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk_kk View Post
Lately we have been seeing, USCIS is asking for the proff of continious legal stay and one of the proof's is I-94.

Say, if one has not made copies of the past I-94's, is there a way we get them by writing a letter an agency ?

Thank You.
Is this in RFE connection with an Adjustment of Status filing? if so, you really only need to show that you did not violate status for over 180 days since your last lawful entry (Section 245(k) of the Immigration and Nationality Act).

In any event, proving that you maintained status does not require showing all old I-94s. You need to show that you were approved for or admitted in a certain status, and that you stayed in that status until it was changed or extended. Approval notices, visas, and maybe entry stamps from your passport re usually enough, and just the most recent I-94. If you held F-1 status, you would need to show your I-20s, visa and proof that you maintained a full courseload as required by the I-20.
Toll-free phone: 1-866-318-8813
emartin@martinvisalaw.com
www.martinvisalaw.com
www.martinvisalaw.blogspot.com
Dedicated exclusively to immigration law since 1997

This message does not create an attorney-client relationship if we have not both signed an engagement letter. This message discusses general legal questions and other matters. It should not be used or relied on by anyone as legal advice.
Bookmark and Share   Reply With Quote  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to martinvisalaw For This Useful Post:
ebizash (07-17-2009), gc28262 (07-16-2009), kartikiran (07-17-2009), kcforgc (07-16-2009), sledge_hammer (07-17-2009), veereddy (07-17-2009)
Old 07-17-2009, 04:51 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/09/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
sripk has a reputation beyond repute sripk has a reputation beyond repute sripk has a reputation beyond repute sripk has a reputation beyond repute sripk has a reputation beyond repute sripk has a reputation beyond repute sripk has a reputation beyond repute sripk has a reputation beyond repute sripk has a reputation beyond repute sripk has a reputation beyond repute sripk has a reputation beyond repute
Default 485 RFE Received for I94

Hi,
I received RFE on my 485 for I94 copy. My situation is below

I travelled to Tijuana, Mexico from San Diego by road to request
for new I94 at the US Port of Entry at San Ysidro, Tijuana as my old I94
was issued only until PP expiry date but since i already had a valid I94 on H1B notice, The officer didn't issue a new white I94 card even though i requested for one. Also, The officer took my earlier old white I94 card, so i don't have one with me now though i have a copy
of it. Also USCIS is asking for a detailed explanation on why new I94 was not issued at POE. please advise on how to respond to this RFE

Old 07-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/07/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/09/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinvisalaw View Post
Is this in RFE connection with an Adjustment of Status filing? if so, you really only need to show that you did not violate status for over 180 days since your last lawful entry (Section 245(k) of the Immigration and Nationality Act).

In any event, proving that you maintained status does not require showing all old I-94s. You need to show that you were approved for or admitted in a certain status, and that you stayed in that status until it was changed or extended. Approval notices, visas, and maybe entry stamps from your passport re usually enough, and just the most recent I-94. If you held F-1 status, you would need to show your I-20s, visa and proof that you maintained a full courseload as required by the I-20.
Thank You for the detailed answer.

My question was not related to any RFE in specific. But in a general way, what would be the procedure to obtain the past copies of I-94's.

As per your answer, it should not matter, If I have the copies or not. It would be good, if we have it. Otherwise there are alternative ways to answer the RFE.
IL - State Chapter

Old 07-17-2009, 12:26 PM
US Immigration Attorney
Law Office of Elaine Martin
6333 E. Mockingbird Ln Ste 147-910
Dallas, Texas-75214
http://www.martinvisalaw.com
Thank the Attorney if this post is helpful
martinvisalaw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sripk View Post
Hi,
I received RFE on my 485 for I94 copy. My situation is below

I travelled to Tijuana, Mexico from San Diego by road to request
for new I94 at the US Port of Entry at San Ysidro, Tijuana as my old I94
was issued only until PP expiry date but since i already had a valid I94 on H1B notice, The officer didn't issue a new white I94 card even though i requested for one. Also, The officer took my earlier old white I94 card, so i don't have one with me now though i have a copy
of it. Also USCIS is asking for a detailed explanation on why new I94 was not issued at POE. please advise on how to respond to this RFE
POEs in Canada and Mexico don't usually issue a new I-94 when you visit those countries for less than 90 days. You can just remind CIS of this (maybe they thought you went to another country) and explain what happened.
Toll-free phone: 1-866-318-8813
emartin@martinvisalaw.com
www.martinvisalaw.com
www.martinvisalaw.blogspot.com
Dedicated exclusively to immigration law since 1997

This message does not create an attorney-client relationship if we have not both signed an engagement letter. This message discusses general legal questions and other matters. It should not be used or relied on by anyone as legal advice.
Bookmark and Share   Reply With Quote  
The Following User Says Thank You to martinvisalaw For This Useful Post:
sbmallik (07-20-2009)
Old 07-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/09/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
sripk has a reputation beyond repute sripk has a reputation beyond repute sripk has a reputation beyond repute sripk has a reputation beyond repute sripk has a reputation beyond repute sripk has a reputation beyond repute sripk has a reputation beyond repute sripk has a reputation beyond repute sripk has a reputation beyond repute sripk has a reputation beyond repute sripk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RFE ON I485 for I94

Thanks Elaine for your prompt reply to my question.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/09/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
Default Response to RFE on I485 for I94

Below is a draft statement i prepared and appreciate if you can review it and suggest any changes reqd if this is not convincing.

I travelled to Tijuana, Mexico from San Diego. I entered the US Port of Entry at San Ysidro. My previous I-94 white entry card had been taken and I requested a new I-94 but since I already had a valid I-94 on my H-1B approval notice, the office would not issue a new I-94 white entry card.
I have a copy of my previous I-94 entry card from <prev_entry_date>

Few questions that may arise based on above statement:
1. Why was your I94 from H1B notice still with you and not submiited at POE when you left the country?
-Since i travelled by land the US POE is in Tijuana and so i submitted my expired I94 to them and also the valid I94 from H1B notice and asked for new white I94 card. Unfortunately the officer just stapled the valid H1B I94 to passport and told i am good to go. There is no stamp on it either and hence i am concerned.

Any other possible questions you can think of that needs to be addressed in my statement?