Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > Immigrant Visa
Click to log in with Facebook
Immigrant Visa This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Priority Date
:
May-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/21/2012
Compare
larun has a reputation beyond repute larun has a reputation beyond repute larun has a reputation beyond repute larun has a reputation beyond repute larun has a reputation beyond repute larun has a reputation beyond repute larun has a reputation beyond repute larun has a reputation beyond repute larun has a reputation beyond repute larun has a reputation beyond repute larun has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Wife's Last Name Different on Marriage Certificate

Hi:
My wife's last name is different on passport and marriage registration document issued from India. He maiden name is on the passport, but our marriage certificate has my last name.

I am going to file 485 this month and want to know how to address this issue. My family in India contacted a lawyer and he suggested that they can issue an amendment but cannot re-issue the marriage certificate with correct last name.

I will appreciate any suggestions.

Regards
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by larun View Post
Hi:
My wife's last name is different on passport and marriage registration document issued from India. He maiden name is on the passport, but our marriage certificate has my last name.

I am going to file 485 this month and want to know how to address this issue. My family in India contacted a lawyer and he suggested that they can issue an amendment but cannot re-issue the marriage certificate with correct last name.

I will appreciate any suggestions.

Regards
I don't think this should be an issue. It definitely won't be an issue if the passport was issue before marriage. One thing your wife can do is update the passport with the last name after marriage. The Indian consulate will charge you a fee. Please see the NYC Indian Consulate's website below for details. Hope that helps. Good luck with your filing!

CHANGE OF NAME ON AN INDIAN PASSPORT - www.indiacgny.org

Total contibution to IV so far: $550.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Priority Date
:
May-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/21/2012
Compare
larun has a reputation beyond repute larun has a reputation beyond repute larun has a reputation beyond repute larun has a reputation beyond repute larun has a reputation beyond repute larun has a reputation beyond repute larun has a reputation beyond repute larun has a reputation beyond repute larun has a reputation beyond repute larun has a reputation beyond repute larun has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sunny
Thanks for your response. Is changing her name on passport sufficient during 485 filing. If we change the name on her passport, her H4 and other docs will still have her maiden name.

Thanks again!

Old 12-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can leave it as is if her passport was issued before marriage. If they raise the issue using RFE, then, you can either amend her passport with the married name or just explain to them that it carries the maiden name because it was issued before marriage.

What does your lawyer say?

If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1000 View Post
I think you can leave it as is if her passport was issued before marriage. If they raise the issue using RFE, then, you can either amend her passport with the married name or just explain to them that it carries the maiden name because it was issued before marriage.

What does your lawyer say?
It is common to have maiden name on docs. USCIS should be seeing this every day as part of their processing. So, don't sweat it.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Priority Date
:
May-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/21/2012
Compare

Marriage certificate has my last name for her. Actually it should be her maiden name on the marriage certificate as her passport has her maiden name.

My lawyer just replied saying provide a affidavit from my wife stating that she is the same person and also provide a reason for the discrepancy on the certificate.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:08 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dbr369 is on a distinguished road
Default same situation

Hi I am also in same situation

My wife last name and my last name are same in marriage certificate, but her passport also has my last name.

is this a problem?

Larun:
how did you apply i-485, can you share your experience?

Old 01-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Priority Date
:
May-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/21/2012
Compare

Marriage certificate and passport should be same or at least the marriage certificate should have your spouse's maiden name as well.

When we contacted marriage registration office in india they said either a addendum can be issued or they can re-issue it with correct last name. We got it re-issued.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:48 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
krishanpalarora is on a distinguished road

Hi Larun,

Which registration office did you get the certificate reissued from? I am also in the same situation and I spoke to the registration office in Delhi, India and they said only an addendum can be given. Marriage Certificate cannot be reissued.

Regards,
-Krishan

Old 04-30-2012, 01:02 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
calgaryimmigration is on a distinguished road
Default Wife's Last Name Different on Marriage Certificate Wife's Last Name Different on Marr

that won't be a problem actually..
the best thing to do is to update her passport..