|Immigrant Visa This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.
|Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)||
|Please contribute to Immigration Voice.|
||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Getting married while applying for a green card
I apologize if I misplaced this question.
Me and my girlfriend are planning to get married soon. I am in H1-B status and she is in the US on B1/B2 visa.
I have filed for U.S. permanent residency under National Interest Waiver. But my case has not been processed yet. (I-140 stage)
1) If we get married now, would I be able to include her into I-485 form as my spouse (once my case is approved)?
Should we expect any complications? (She entered the US as a visitor. Most likely, our marriage would be only several month long when it is time to file for I-485).
2) Alternatively, we could wait with filing for I-485 and apply for H4 dependent status for her first. Would it work?
3) Would you advise to postpone the marriage until my residency is fully approved? (And then apply for her residency under F2 category?)
4) Would it be easier for her to return to her home country (Russia) and apply from there?
Thank you so much for your help!
2. I think you should do this (apply for H4 first) instead of applying for I-485 when she is on B1/B2.
3. don't postpone it. Get married before your I-485 gets approved so that she can ride on your application quota (Employment based rather than Family based).
4. That is also an option once you guys are married. You can apply for her follow-to-join once your I-485 gets approved. I would use this as a last option as once she leaves, she will not be able to return on B1/B2 as she is considered a potential immigrant.
Your best option is #2 (apply for her H4, change status from B1/B2 to H4 and then, file for I-485 together). This way you will not be living apart for long.
Good luck with everything.
Please always consult an Immigration attorney. My post is NOT legal advice and is just my personal opinion.
Total contibution to IV so far: $550.
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Famil based green card for wife (recently married)||anjanbrinda||Immigrant Visa||2||01-19-2012 06:28 PM|
|Is it easier for married couples to get green card?||jennym||FREE Lawyer conference calls||2||09-25-2009 02:41 PM|
|Getting Married While Waiting For Green Card||h1b6years||Non-Immigrant Visa||5||05-27-2009 05:49 PM|
|getting married and green card||clique||All other Green Card Issues||2||12-01-2008 04:42 PM|
|L1 getting married to a Green Card Holder||Steve555||All other Green Card Issues||2||10-05-2007 07:04 AM|