Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > Non-Immigrant Visa
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visa This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
als2201 is on a distinguished road
Default Visitor visa extension denied

Hi,

My parents came to US in June 2007 on visitor visa and in Nov 07 we applied for extension.
Their I-94 expired on Dec 07 and they overstayed for about 2.5 months while waiting for approval/denial.
Their extension was denied in Jan 08 and they left US 3 weeks after receiving the letter.
They have 10 year multiple entry visa.

1) Is their visa still valid for entry into the US or is it void due to overstay while waiting for approval?
2) How can we confirm the status?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Ann Ruben is just really nice Ann Ruben is just really nice Ann Ruben is just really nice Ann Ruben is just really nice

Under section 222(g) of the INA, any overstay voids the visa and your parents would have to apply for new visitor visas before returning to the US.

However, if the extension denial accorded them a period of time in which to leave the US, and they left within that period, one could argue that their stay was "authorized" and that the visas are still valid.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/31/2007
Compare
blue_line is on a distinguished road

extension for my in-laws was rejected last year and they overstayed for about 3 months waiting for approval..they left in July right after getting the denial letter...
They came back to US in December with out any issues..they did not go for another stamping..

Old 05-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Thanks. I appreciate your response. Do you know of any case where visitors were denied entry into the US under similar circumstances?

Old 05-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Ann Ruben is just really nice Ann Ruben is just really nice Ann Ruben is just really nice Ann Ruben is just really nice

I do not personally know of such cases, though I am pretty sure it does happen. If you have a copy of the denial letter, you should review it carefully to see if your parents were given a time period in which to depart. If they weren't, or if they departed later, they should probably apply for new visas before their next visit.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruben@srrlaw.us View Post
Under section 222(g) of the INA, any overstay voids the visa and your parents would have to apply for new visitor visas before returning to the US.

However, if the extension denial accorded them a period of time in which to leave the US, and they left within that period, one could argue that their stay was "authorized" and that the visas are still valid.

Thanks.

I am still concerned though. I have been reading a lot of stuff over the internet and I also found information like:

"The INS, in cooperation with the Department of State ("DOS"), has revised its interpretation of "remain in the United States beyond the period of stay authorized by the Attorney General" for unlawful presence and the automatic voidance of nonimmigrant visas under section 222(g). The INS will now consider as a period of stay authorized by the Attorney General the entire period during which a timely filed and nonfrivolous extension or change of status application has been pending with the Service, provided the alien has not engaged in any unauthorized employment. This authorized period of stay will continue until the date the INS issues a decision approving or denying the application."

The URL is given below.
http://library.findlaw.com/2000/Mar/21/127115.html

Any suggestions or comments?

Old 05-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Yes, the information you cited is correct. Under current policy, your parents "over stay" would have occurred only after the date of the denial.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Just help me once more.
Their extension was denied on Jan 30, 08 and they were asked to leave within 30 days, which they did. They left on Feb 20.

Am I right in considering that they did not violate any rules/conditions and had an authorized stay and thus their visa is still valid?

Old 05-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

I think there is a good argument that under these circumstances their visas are still valid. Unfortunately, because USCIS has provided no clear guidance, there is no guarantee that your parents would not have any difficulty using their current visas on their next visit.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage