Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > Non-Immigrant Visa
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visa This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hary536 is on a distinguished road
Default Implications on H-1 status during forced shutdown

Hi,
My Company has decided to have a force shutdown one day per week starting from this month. So now we will be working 4 days instead of 5 days. We also cannot use PTO during these days. So effectively will be working 32 hrs instead of 40 hrs and getting paid for 32 hrs only.

Does this affect my legal H1 status? Will i still remain in valid legal H1 status, even if i work and get paid for 32 hrs?
Am i still considered full-time? Or is there any amendment needed to be filed? How can i determine, if there is any amendment needed to be filed? If needed, does the company have to file both H1B and LCA amendment or just LCA.
When one files amendment, is it like again the entire process of H1 approval and can the amendment be rejected?
Also if they file LCA amendment, then do they have to show and pay the salary according to current year? or the year when they initially filed my LCA first time?

If i try for H1B transfer after few months,can that be denied due to paychecks of 32hrs salary only used for H1 transfer?

Pls help, if you have any idea about this kind of situation. Lot of companies are having shutdowns and salary cuts this year? How is it handled in your companies guys?

Currently, I am working on H1B since Oct'08.
My company has decided to have forced shutdown 1 day per week. So All employees will be working and paid for only 32 hrs instead of 40.We cannot use the paid leave also.
In My LCA, prevailing wage: 52K, and my salary in LCA and I-129: 64.5K

My questions:
1) Is working 32 hrs still considered full-time and do I still remain in legal H1 status? (I heard that in US more than 30 hrs is considered full-time?)
2) Since my effective annual salary will be less than 64K due to working for only 32 hrs,will i be out of status? Can the company cut my salary below the rate of pay mentioned on my LCA but higher than(or equal to) the Prevailing Wage mentioned on my LCA?
3) If i try for H1B transfer after few months using paychecks of 32hrs salary only,can that be denied?
4) Are there any other options(without filing any H1B/LCA amendment) to maintain my H1 status while still working for 32 hrs only?
5) IF company files LCA/H1B amendment, then do they have to again use the wage survey for 2009 or they can use the same one used for my initial 1st LCA filing? Do they evaluate the entire H1B application again for amendment? Can the H1B amendment be denied?

Anyone pls advise? I am really tensed.

Last edited by pappu; 05-19-2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: duplicate
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Hello Pappu, can you please move this post to the "Ask a Lawyer" forum. I intended to post it under that forum. But i think due to duplication you moved it to the other forum. Pls, post it to Attorney forum. I really need some advise in this case. Thanks.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hary536 View Post
.... So effectively will be working 32 hrs instead of 40 hrs and getting paid for 32 hrs only
In My LCA, prevailing wage: 52K, and my salary in LCA and I-129: 64.5K

My questions:
1) Is working 32 hrs still considered full-time and do I still remain in legal H1 status? (I heard that in US more than 30 hrs is considered full-time?)
2) Since my effective annual salary will be less than 64K due to working for only 32 hrs,will i be out of status? Can the company cut my salary below the rate of pay mentioned on my LCA but higher than(or equal to) the Prevailing Wage mentioned on my LCA?
3) If i try for H1B transfer after few months using paychecks of 32hrs salary only,can that be denied?
4) Are there any other options(without filing any H1B/LCA amendment) to maintain my H1 status while still working for 32 hrs only?
5) IF company files LCA/H1B amendment, then do they have to again use the wage survey for 2009 or they can use the same one used for my initial 1st LCA filing? Do they evaluate the entire H1B application again for amendment? Can the H1B amendment be denied?
1. As per Feb 20, 1992 USCIS memo, the full-time work is generally considered to be 35-40 hours per week or whatever is appropriate for the occupation. For example, air traffic controllers work 30 hours a week because of the stress. Then, in that case 30 hours would be "full time".

2. The employer MUST notify the DOL and/or USCIS in advance by filing amended petition if the terms of the employment changes during the validity period of H1B1 petition.

3. It is very common to file H1B amendment for changing from full time to part time, changing job location, or changes in job duties.

Have a good day!

Old 05-20-2009, 04:51 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Hi, Thanks for the reply.
In my company, even though everyone works 32 hrs, they are still considered full-time, as we keep receiving the regular full-time benefits.
So in that case, do they still have to file an Amendment? If incase, they file amendment,then do they file just LCA amendment or H1B amendment.

Also, if instead of working 32 hrs, if they allow me to work 40 hrs, but reduce my annual salary but maintain higher than the prevailing wage, then also do they need to
file an amendment? If yes, which H1B or LCA or both?

Can you pls move this post to the "Ask an Attorney" section, so that i can get a reply from any attorney also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desi3933 View Post
1. As per Feb 20, 1992 USCIS memo, the full-time work is generally considered to be 35-40 hours per week or whatever is appropriate for the occupation. For example, air traffic controllers work 30 hours a week because of the stress. Then, in that case 30 hours would be "full time".

2. The employer MUST notify the DOL and/or USCIS in advance by filing amended petition if the terms of the employment changes during the validity period of H1B1 petition.

3. It is very common to file H1B amendment for changing from full time to part time, changing job location, or changes in job duties.

Have a good day!

Old 05-20-2009, 06:39 PM
US Immigration Attorney
Law Offices of Prashanthi Reddy
42 West 38th Street Suite 1104
New York, New York-10018
http://www.reddyesq.com
Thank the Attorney if this post is helpful
Prashanthi is a jewel in the rough Prashanthi is a jewel in the rough Prashanthi is a jewel in the rough Prashanthi is a jewel in the rough

Your company must file an amended petition for the reduced hours, they will have to follow the current prev wage survey, might be a problem to get a transfer if the USICS notices the low wages, yes they might evaluate the case again.
Bookmark and Share   Reply With Quote  
The Following User Says Thank You to Prashanthi For This Useful Post:
desi3933 (05-20-2009)
Old 05-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Dear Parshanthi Mam,

Thanks for your advise. IF my company does not file an amendment, then will i go out of status? And if i apply for H1 transfer using the 32 hrs paycheck, then will they deny the transfer or just approve the transfer for consular processing?

Thanks a lot again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desi3933 View Post

Have a good day!

Originally Posted by Prashanthi View Post
Your company must file an amended petition for the reduced hours, they will have to follow the current prev wage survey, might be a problem to get a transfer if the USICS notices the low wages, yes they might evaluate the case again.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:17 PM
US Immigration Attorney
Law Offices of Prashanthi Reddy
42 West 38th Street Suite 1104
New York, New York-10018
http://www.reddyesq.com
Thank the Attorney if this post is helpful
Prashanthi is a jewel in the rough Prashanthi is a jewel in the rough Prashanthi is a jewel in the rough Prashanthi is a jewel in the rough

When the USCIS finds out and makes a determination that you are out of status, that is when you will be in trouble, or if you go outside the country for a visa, if they notice that you W-2 has a very low amount, they may refuse to give you a visa. When you file the transfer if the USCIS finds out that you have violated your status, they will still approve you h-1 for consular processing, they may not approve your request for a transfer.
Bookmark and Share   Reply With Quote