Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > Non-Immigrant Visa
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visa This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 01:47 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-09
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Italy
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1b6years is on a distinguished road
Question Getting Married While Waiting For Green Card

Hi All: can anyone tell me if you can get married (not with an America citizen) while you are waiting for your Green Card? If you are on an E Visa waiting to get your green card you got thru PERM: can you live the Country and get married?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2009, 03:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, please fill out the profile. Secondly, please give us more info about what your status is and what is the status of your significant other, so that people can answer your question better.

Total contibution to IV so far: $550.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:53 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-09
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Italy
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1b6years is on a distinguished road

Hi sorry if I was not detailed enough. The reason I'm asking this question is because I heard you cannot leave the US while your waiting for the GC. I was wondering if this is true.
Thanks.
To answer your question: I have an E Visa and she is not a citizen or anything and we are going to get married in our Home Country in Europe.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1b6years View Post
Hi sorry if I was not detailed enough. The reason I'm asking this question is because I heard you cannot leave the US while your waiting for the GC. I was wondering if this is true.
Thanks.
To answer your question: I have an E Visa and she is not a citizen or anything and we are going to get married in our Home Country in Europe.
There are some situations when leaving US while waiting for a GC is risky (more than 180 days of unlawful presense, having a B visa and applying for LC, etc.), but it should not be an issue for E-visa holder. The best way to do it if you plan to live in US with the future spouse is to apply for E visa (dependent) for her after you get married. After she gets E-visa she can enter US and apply for AOS when you when you are ready to file I-485.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/29/2007
Compare
leo_loco is on a distinguished road

Well, I would suggest you to get her visa. Reason, if your spouse is in other country then you won't be able to bring her here as you do not have citizenship. Once she is here on dependent visa, you can file for her AOS when dates are current for Green card.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Ann Ruben is just really nice Ann Ruben is just really nice Ann Ruben is just really nice Ann Ruben is just really nice

Do you have a currently valid E visa stamped in your passport; or, did you enter the US with a different visa and then change your status to E? If you have a valid E visa stamped in your passport, and are still working in the same capacity for the same enterprise described in your E visa appliction, you should not have a problem leaving the US and then returning.