Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > Non-Immigrant Visa
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visa This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 05:11 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pprai is on a distinguished road
Default Can my stepchild apply for L2 visa?

Hi
I am applying for L1 visa to US and i have a stepchild who is 12 years old. Can i apply for L2 visa for him as a dependent? If yes what documents do i need to present during the visa interview.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 03:09 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/09/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/02/2012
Compare
bandoayan has a reputation beyond repute bandoayan has a reputation beyond repute bandoayan has a reputation beyond repute bandoayan has a reputation beyond repute bandoayan has a reputation beyond repute bandoayan has a reputation beyond repute bandoayan has a reputation beyond repute bandoayan has a reputation beyond repute bandoayan has a reputation beyond repute bandoayan has a reputation beyond repute bandoayan has a reputation beyond repute

If you have legally adopted your wife's child from a former relationship, the child is treated as though you are the natural parent in the US for US legal purposes. I assume that you have legal documents certifying the adoption according to the laws in your home country as well as the child's birth certificate.

Since you have a concern about what is needed and your situation is unusual, your wife could take all of the documentation in her possession to a US immigration attorney located near the consulate where they will be attending the interview for a review. The attorney can advise if the documents meet US requirements and if any additional documents are needed.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2011
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
joe_blr is a name known to all joe_blr is a name known to all joe_blr is a name known to all joe_blr is a name known to all joe_blr is a name known to all joe_blr is a name known to all

Since you are filing L1, assuming that you would be working for big Off-shoring company MNC, in general visa cell of these are not specialized in such matters and will be very overconfident.

Like bandoayan mentioned, it highly advisable to take help of qualified Attorney services who are specialized in immigration. Heard Sheela Murthy's firm has India operation is Chennai.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pprai is on a distinguished road
Default resolved

I finally called up the consulate after seeing this Frequently Asked Questions Concerning the L Visa | Embassy of the United States and they confirmed the same. So in my case there was no problem since my wife had the divorce papers and full custody of the child. However the immigration lawyer handling my case based in US had told me to get an adoption deed as well but it was not required. So to be in safe side carry the adoption deed as well if you have one.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2011
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
joe_blr is a name known to all joe_blr is a name known to all joe_blr is a name known to all joe_blr is a name known to all joe_blr is a name known to all joe_blr is a name known to all

Glad to hear that, good luck.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
nks is on a distinguished road

Need clarification , can you please let know, whether for your step child, in the divorce paper of your wife whether the vistation rights had been given to his/her birth father, though the custody were given to your wife. Appreciate your clarification. Thanks.