Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gcandgc has a reputation beyond repute gcandgc has a reputation beyond repute gcandgc has a reputation beyond repute gcandgc has a reputation beyond repute gcandgc has a reputation beyond repute gcandgc has a reputation beyond repute gcandgc has a reputation beyond repute gcandgc has a reputation beyond repute gcandgc has a reputation beyond repute gcandgc has a reputation beyond repute gcandgc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Over 50% US green card holders plan to return home: Survey

Over 50% US green card holders plan to return home: Survey - The Times of India

NEW YORK: The United States may experience reverse brain drain as thousands of Indian IT professionals contemplate returning to India, according to a survey conducted by Corp-Corp.com, a US-based technology job portal.

The finding was based on a survey of more than 1,000 survey respondents of Indian origin, nearly half of which were IT professionals that plan to return to India.

About 50 per cent of the respondents have plans to return soon, while 6.4 per cent of them have already returned to their homeland.

Survey participants included permanent residents, US citizens and work visa holders.

Fifty-one per cent said their decision was based on wanting to rejoin family and 26 per cent cited better opportunities as the reason to return to their homeland.

Around 10 per cent are planning to return for they believe their kids will get a better education in India.

"The results are very important for American businesses because they may face challenges in filling the gap of these resources," said Prabakaran Murugaiah, CEO of Corp-Corp.com.

"Businesses cannot replace an experienced workforce overnight," he said.

The survey results show 69 per cent of visa holders and 57 per cent permanent residents or citizens intend to return.

These are some of the motivation to return to India: Nearly 51 per cent for the return is rejoining their family members in India; 26 per cent for better opportunities in India.

Only 3 per cent says they are returning due to job loss, which is consistent with low unemployment of around 6 per cent in the IT sector even though the generic unemployment is over 8 per cent.

Around 10 per cent are planning their return to provide better education to their kids in India.

There are about two million Indians living in US and many of them hold bachelor or higher degrees.

Indians share a large percentage in the numbers of PhD holders.

Among the Asian Indian population, around 60 per cent are in management or professional occupations.

Murugaiah says, "Many of the returning Indians have aged parents back home to take care. Also, recent economic growth in India with many good opportunities fueled their thought process of heading back."

"In addition to that, many US companies are opening their offices in India and hiring more to target the growing market in Asia. There may be some challenges in filling the gap created by these resources, because we cannot create a 10 years experienced resource the next day," he said.

"However, there are 6 million IT professionals working in the US and this may not pose a bigger impact for the US tech industry. This trend may very well be a win-win situation for both countries," he added.
------------
GCANDGC
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/04/2012
Compare
sandy_anand has a reputation beyond repute sandy_anand has a reputation beyond repute sandy_anand has a reputation beyond repute sandy_anand has a reputation beyond repute sandy_anand has a reputation beyond repute sandy_anand has a reputation beyond repute sandy_anand has a reputation beyond repute sandy_anand has a reputation beyond repute sandy_anand has a reputation beyond repute sandy_anand has a reputation beyond repute sandy_anand has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how many of them will really return. I have friends who are always planning but never return. Some left to India but have come back unable to adjust back home.
I-140 Applied 07/25/2008 (Texas)
I-140 RFE Date 01/15/2009
I-140 Approved 05/15/2009
Filed I-485 on 01/06/2012
Waiting for GC
Signed up for monthly contributions

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gcandgc has a reputation beyond repute gcandgc has a reputation beyond repute gcandgc has a reputation beyond repute gcandgc has a reputation beyond repute gcandgc has a reputation beyond repute gcandgc has a reputation beyond repute gcandgc has a reputation beyond repute gcandgc has a reputation beyond repute gcandgc has a reputation beyond repute gcandgc has a reputation beyond repute gcandgc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Parents of children in elementary or middle school

One category I can quickly refer to are parents of children in elementary or middle school. The children in most of these cases will be US citizens. Parents would have just got green card and now they have the flexibility to go and come back any time of their choice.

Second category are those whose aged parents are in India and they are single child and they need to provide the support. Having got the green card, now they can go back and come back any time.

Added to that is the fact that they can join a software company in India where there is need to visit USA in frequent interval. Having the Green card provides them the comfort to join those companies, keep their Green card active.

GCANDGC

Old 05-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/04/2012
Compare
sandy_anand has a reputation beyond repute sandy_anand has a reputation beyond repute sandy_anand has a reputation beyond repute sandy_anand has a reputation beyond repute sandy_anand has a reputation beyond repute sandy_anand has a reputation beyond repute sandy_anand has a reputation beyond repute sandy_anand has a reputation beyond repute sandy_anand has a reputation beyond repute sandy_anand has a reputation beyond repute sandy_anand has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with you but having a GC, while allows you to travel frequently, still comes with the burden of having to keep it current. You need to demonstrate that you are a resident of the US whenever you enter the country. Otherwise you can end up losing your GC. I know this for a fact since my sister-in-law is a GC holder but lives most of the time in a foreign country and faces a hassle every time she enters the country. However if you are a US Citizen, then you won't have that problem. On the other hand if you are a US Citizen, then you need to keep up with paying taxes even if you are out of the country. Pros and cons in either situation.
Waiting for GC

Old 05-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute

The survey lacks data of actual percentage people that have returned.

Planning/intending to return and actually returning are two different kinds of data.

In Universities if you speak to international students, many will say they want to return. They almost all end up working in US on H1B. Almost all H1B apply for Greencards. Almost all greencard holders want to stay here until citizenship. Almost all ctizens want to stay here because it is not possible to uproot their settled life here and start somewhere else.

The only people that end up going back are the ones that are from a very rich family, have family business interests, or get an extraordinary job offer.

There is another kind of people who end up going back. They are people who are on J1 visa or L1 visa who cannot get green cards. Other types are people on H1B who lose jobs and cannot find another.

Until India is a superpower like Amercia reverse brain drain will be very small in number.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute

I have never seen a H1B/GC/Immigrated citizen saying that he/she would stay in US.

Saying "we will return" is just like brushing teeth everyday.

Don't bother.

A real survey must come from India, where they get the count and saying 50% GC holders have returned from US.

Note: "returned" not "will return"

Old 05-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
prakashv44 has much to be proud of prakashv44 has much to be proud of prakashv44 has much to be proud of prakashv44 has much to be proud of prakashv44 has much to be proud of prakashv44 has much to be proud of prakashv44 has much to be proud of prakashv44 has much to be proud of prakashv44 has much to be proud of prakashv44 has much to be proud of

That's not true. Please see below also.
Over 50% US green card holders plan to return home: Survey - ¬Business News - News - MSN India

Old 05-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/04/2012
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakashv44 View Post
It's the same article posted by the Indian arm of MSN. How does that change things???
Waiting for GC

Old 05-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/07/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute

I concur....

Quote:
Originally Posted by imh1b View Post
The survey lacks data of actual percentage people that have returned.

Planning/intending to return and actually returning are two different kinds of data.

In Universities if you speak to international students, many will say they want to return. They almost all end up working in US on H1B. Almost all H1B apply for Greencards. Almost all greencard holders want to stay here until citizenship. Almost all ctizens want to stay here because it is not possible to uproot their settled life here and start somewhere else.

The only people that end up going back are the ones that are from a very rich family, have family business interests, or get an extraordinary job offer.

There is another kind of people who end up going back. They are people who are on J1 visa or L1 visa who cannot get green cards. Other types are people on H1B who lose jobs and cannot find another.

Until India is a superpower like Amercia reverse brain drain will be very small in number.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2007
Compare
anjans is infamous around these parts anjans is infamous around these parts anjans is infamous around these parts anjans is infamous around these parts anjans is infamous around these parts anjans is infamous around these parts anjans is infamous around these parts anjans is infamous around these parts anjans is infamous around these parts anjans is infamous around these parts anjans is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy_anand View Post
It's the same article posted by the Indian arm of MSN. How does that change things???
Yes, I think returning with GC or Citizenship is a personal choice..and it will always remain a smaller percent of the amount of people who will stay back. What is key is that with or without these immigrants...GDP in that part of the world is going to grow at 10% for the next 25 yrs , while this part of the world will debate if it was 1.6% or 2.1%. Finally it comes down to what one needs..if you think it is more important to be with family (parents) or if parents are ok ...then no matter how much money you make u will move...But if you think you can generate more wealth here and you have a life that is more attractive here vs. being in that part of the world then you will choose to stay here. There is no right or wrong..it is what you want to do and how you want to do it.

Also, even if the reverse braindrain is in single digit % it can have a impact on India in a very positive way as somebody pointed out they are the ones who see the oppty there to do something different.

advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard that from almost 100% of the Indians. But haven't seen anybody actualy going back. First they wait for the citizenship, then Son/Daughter's graduation, then marriage and so on and on and on...And they say 'Yes' to the poll..

Old 05-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
immigrant-in-law will become famous soon enough
Default Useless Article

Wonder where they get their data from. Of the 60-70 H1B/GCs I know, not one is returning!
Yes, we all get nostalgic ... but then reality hits.

Few that have returned or actually will return (family situation, children's education etc) will keep a foot in US door as well, just in case.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/06/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2011
Compare
mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute mk26 has a reputation beyond repute

After staying long in US returning to India is another pain, the way price were hiked unbeleivable ,I even can see some of the price are cheaper here in US.
whether you live here in US or return to india it does not matter much anymore..anyone with me?

Last edited by mk26; 05-04-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/08/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute kumar1 has a reputation beyond repute

Those who plan to go back, never share their plan with anyone. One fine morning, you would come to know -- "they are going for good".

Those who never go back would always say - We want to go back, HOWEVER, homes are too expensive, pollution is too much, dollar is too weak, Wife does not like taking care of in-laws and the list goes on....

People will make choices, no one can predict the percentage of people either staying back or going to India.
I-140 - Approved
I-485 - July 2007 and pending
Filed 2nd labor in 2009
Filed 2nd I-140 in 2009
Ported the PD
GC in 08-2010 almost 10 years after coming to the US.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Compare
dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute dummgelauft has a reputation beyond repute
Default Easier Said than done

This is pure rubbish.
A very small percentage of people who said they "will return" wil lactually follow through.
Lim Yr->∞, R2I=Yr(n)+1That is the equation.

Last edited by dummgelauft; 05-04-2011 at 03:04 PM.