Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1bdude1 is infamous around these parts h1bdude1 is infamous around these parts h1bdude1 is infamous around these parts h1bdude1 is infamous around these parts h1bdude1 is infamous around these parts h1bdude1 is infamous around these parts h1bdude1 is infamous around these parts h1bdude1 is infamous around these parts h1bdude1 is infamous around these parts h1bdude1 is infamous around these parts h1bdude1 is infamous around these parts
Default Alien Registration Number (A#) for I-485/I-130

Hello gurus,
need little help from you guys. Right now i am on H1b.
I am about to file my Family based I-485, I-130, I-765, I-131. on all these forms they are asking for A# ( Alien Registration Number).

I was on F1 visa before. so i have one expired EAD card which i got during my OPT in 2005. this card has a A#.
so should i put this A# on all forms( I-485,I-130,I-765,I-131) or leave it blank.???

H1bdude1
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1bdude1 is infamous around these parts h1bdude1 is infamous around these parts h1bdude1 is infamous around these parts h1bdude1 is infamous around these parts h1bdude1 is infamous around these parts h1bdude1 is infamous around these parts h1bdude1 is infamous around these parts h1bdude1 is infamous around these parts h1bdude1 is infamous around these parts h1bdude1 is infamous around these parts h1bdude1 is infamous around these parts

anybody please respond !!

hibdude1

Old 03-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB1A
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/29/2009
Compare
kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1bdude1 View Post
Hello gurus,
I am about to file my Family based I-485, I-130, I-765, I-131. on all these forms they are asking for A# ( Alien Registration Number).

I was on F1 visa before. so i have one expired EAD card which i got during my OPT in 2005. this card has a A#.
so should i put this A# on all forms( I-485,I-130,I-765,I-131) or leave it blank.???

H1bdude1
I believe that A# is like SSN and one person can have only one number. To the best of my knowledge you should use the same A# on all those applications.

However, I have known people who had more than one A# assigned, but they were then advised to contact USCIS to merge those files. I would think, it would make sense to use the same A#.

Again, it would be of great help if you can clarify this with an attorney, or someone else on this forum who is more knowledgeable than me.

Good Luck.
I 140 approved: Sep 2008 Nebraska Service Center
EB1A: I 140 filed: July 2009. Approved 12/09
EB2 NIW: I 140 filed: July 2009. Approved 12/09
I-485 filed Dec 2009
I-485 approved April 2010

Old 03-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default lost EAD card (F1 OPT)

I also read somwhere that if you are not sure regarding your A#, then you can also leave it blank.
I have one more problem. I lost this Expired EAD card during moving and now i only have its Front copy which i am going to submit with my I-765 form.
will it be any problem submitting only front copy of the Previous EAD because they are requesting for both (Front and Back).

thanks
h1bdude1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kondur_007 View Post
I believe that A# is like SSN and one person can have only one number. To the best of my knowledge you should use the same A# on all those applications.

However, I have known people who had more than one A# assigned, but they were then advised to contact USCIS to merge those files. I would think, it would make sense to use the same A#.

Again, it would be of great help if you can clarify this with an attorney, or someone else on this forum who is more knowledgeable than me.

Good Luck.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/20/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of ashkam has much to be proud of

Quote:
Hello gurus,

H1bdude1
You can give your OPT A# but once you're assigned a permanent visa number, they'll give you a different number. Your OPT A# is just a temporary number.
I-485 delivered to NSC 8 August 2007
Receipted at TSC 2 October 2007

Old 03-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2007
Compare
InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkam View Post
You can give your OPT A# but once you're assigned a permanent visa number, they'll give you a different number. Your OPT A# is just a temporary number.
I think you mean once you are assigned a permanent A# ! It is assigned before a visa number is assigned.

A number series starting with 1 (eg. for OPT) are temporary. Those starting with 9 are permanent.

USCIS has a regular A# consolidation unit as well as a column to check for more than one A# on their internal worksheet for I-485.

Bottom-line: give your OPT A# and they will take care of the rest. This is what I did and worked.

Last edited by InTheMoment; 03-23-2009 at 04:43 PM.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

one more question Plz. Sorry for bugging.

I lost this Expired EAD card during moving and now i only have its Front copy which i am going to submit with my I-765 form.
will it be any problem submitting only front copy of the Previous EAD because they are requesting for both (Front and Back) of the Previous EAD.

thanks
h1bdude1

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMoment View Post
I think you mean once you are assigned a permanent A# ! It is assigned before a visa number is assigned.

A number series starting with 1 (eg. for OPT) are temporary. Those starting with 9 are permanent.

USCIS has a regular A# consolidation unit as well as a column to check for more than one A# on their internal worksheet for I-485.

Bottom-line: give your OPT A# and they will take care of the rest. This is what I did and worked.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2007
Compare
InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future InTheMoment has a brilliant future

I personally don't think that would be a problem. Just send whatever you have.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hello gurus,

H1bdude1
As far as I know, the OPT A# is different from what you will get from filing 140. Once you receive 140 approval notice, it should have the A# which you can use on 485...If you don't have one or don't know, leave it blank...

Old 04-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
huchinango is on a distinguished road
Default Can you tell us the results?

Dear h1bdude1:

I'm in your exact same situation. Would you mind letting me know what happened with your A# and misplaced EAD with only the copy of the front side? Did you use the old F-1 OPT A# or leave it blank?

Thanks and hope things worked out!
-H