Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Analysis Discussion
Click to log in with Facebook
Analysis Discussion This forum is used to analyze, predict, track and share the information about the progress of visa dates, visa bulletin and application status of individual cases.

advertisement
 

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/02/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/02/2004
Compare
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21
nitinboston is infamous around these parts nitinboston is infamous around these parts nitinboston is infamous around these parts nitinboston is infamous around these parts
Default What happens to Social security and medicaid contributions

Hello Friends,
Sorry if it has already been discussed, i was wondering what happens to social security and medicaid contributions we made if we decide to leave US permanently. Is there a way we can get it back as we wont be using these benefits.
Thanks
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/06/2007
Compare
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 392
rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of rb_248 has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinboston View Post
Hello Friends,
Sorry if it has already been discussed, i was wondering what happens to social security and medicaid contributions we made if we decide to leave US permanently. Is there a way we can get it back as we wont be using these benefits.
Thanks
You get SS if you have worked for 40 quarters (10 yrs) in the US. Don't know about medicare......but, all this becomes a moot point if SS becomes bankrupt and chances of that happening is high. Thanks to Dubya's tax cuts.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 485
eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinboston View Post
Hello Friends,
Sorry if it has already been discussed, i was wondering what happens to social security and medicaid contributions we made if we decide to leave US permanently. Is there a way we can get it back as we wont be using these benefits.
Thanks
SS and Medicare and all taxes you pay are our social responsibility for staying in this country. We use its roads, hospitals, schools. Our kids play here............ we enjoy what the country offers. So if we are enjoying, it is our moral and financial responsibility to also care for the old, weak and diseased. Even if we do not get benefit from it SS and Medicare is used by people who have made this country great for us to enjoy. They fought wars, innovated etc and now are old.

It is an irony that some people want to be part of this country but still do not show responsibility. Being part of this country does not mean learning American accent, driving good cars and saving money through Vonage. We can get respect from Americans only if we show respect for their culture, values and accept their system. You have no right to demand a greencard if you do not want to accept their country and show social responsibility.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


1 out of 11 members found this post helpful.
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2010, 01:19 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
May-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 155
jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Its another way of looking at it

Some people say US has lower taxes compared to other countries, thats because they do not count SS + Medicare as part ot Tax, which in my opinion should be included as tax/liability.
If so, we pay (per say) 25% tax, it is actually 25+7.65+7.65 = 40.3% tax. On top, add your state tax, which in my case is 5.75%, so all together 46.05% is my tax.

It is like you order pizza and you pay separate for crust + sauce + cheese + toppings.

Last edited by jetflyer; 03-25-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
May-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 155
jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastindia View Post
SS and Medicare and all taxes you pay are our social responsibility for staying in this country. We use its roads, hospitals, schools. Our kids play here............ we enjoy what the country offers. So if we are enjoying, it is our moral and financial responsibility to also care for the old, weak and diseased. Even if we do not get benefit from it SS and Medicare is used by people who have made this country great for us to enjoy. They fought wars, innovated etc and now are old.

It is an irony that some people want to be part of this country but still do not show responsibility. Being part of this country does not mean learning American accent, driving good cars and saving money through Vonage. We can get respect from Americans only if we show respect for their culture, values and accept their system. You have no right to demand a greencard if you do not want to accept their country and show social responsibility.
Yes, but why non-immigrant has to pay SS + Medicare on top of taxes?
It makes perfect sense for GC/USC to pay but for H1/L1/F1... they should only pay taxes. period
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


advertisement
 
 
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/02/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/02/2004
Compare
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21
nitinboston is infamous around these parts nitinboston is infamous around these parts nitinboston is infamous around these parts nitinboston is infamous around these parts
Default you are missing the point

I don't mind paying for the road and social services, i do that by paying taxes. social security and medicare is payment for secure retirement. Why should i not get it back if i am not retiring in US.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 136
snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetflyer View Post
Yes, but why non-immigrant has to pay SS + Medicare on top of taxes?
It makes perfect sense for GC/USC to pay but for H1/L1/F1... they should only pay taxes. period
People in H1 and L1 can become Permanent Residents. So, it makes perfect sense to pay SS & Medic. But, unfortunately, there is no way get the benefits (or get the money back), if you leave this country. That seams a bit unfair.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
May-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 155
jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Exactly, since those people (H1+F1) are entitled to the benefits IF AND ONLY IF they become GC/USC, these (SS+Medicare) should be charged IF AND ONLY IF these people become eligible. If you are not eligible why would you for it? Forget about usage, here you are not even eligible.


Quote:
Originally Posted by snthampi View Post
People in H1 and L1 can become Permanent Residents. So, it makes perfect sense to pay SS & Medic. But, unfortunately, there is no way get the benefits (or get the money back), if you leave this country. That seams a bit unfair.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/02/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/02/2004
Compare
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21
nitinboston is infamous around these parts nitinboston is infamous around these parts nitinboston is infamous around these parts nitinboston is infamous around these parts
Default

was there ever a law suit filed in this matter. I am sure others might have had same question at some time. Just wondering.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/31/2007
Compare
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 113
sroyc is a splendid one to behold sroyc is a splendid one to behold sroyc is a splendid one to behold sroyc is a splendid one to behold sroyc is a splendid one to behold sroyc is a splendid one to behold sroyc is a splendid one to behold
Default

I'm not trying to defend Dubya's tax cuts but that did not affect the social security and medicare tax rates. The problems with SS and Medicare are mostly related to changing demographics - i.e., an aging population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb_248 View Post
You get SS if you have worked for 40 quarters (10 yrs) in the US. Don't know about medicare......but, all this becomes a moot point if SS becomes bankrupt and chances of that happening is high. Thanks to Dubya's tax cuts.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


advertisement
 
 
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2010, 02:54 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 136
snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetflyer View Post
Exactly, since those people (H1+F1) are entitled to the benefits IF AND ONLY IF they become GC/USC, these (SS+Medicare) should be charged IF AND ONLY IF these people become eligible. If you are not eligible why would you for it? Forget about usage, here you are not even eligible.
I agree with you. I almost made up my mind to go back in couple of years and I am not going get a penny back of my hard earned money that I paid towards SS+Medicare. People from a lot of other countries do get at least SS benefits. Indian politicians are totally useless to get anything done and they don't really care.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/31/2007
Compare
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 113
sroyc is a splendid one to behold sroyc is a splendid one to behold sroyc is a splendid one to behold sroyc is a splendid one to behold sroyc is a splendid one to behold sroyc is a splendid one to behold sroyc is a splendid one to behold
Default

Your calculations are probably based on your tax bracket but your effective tax rate likely to be much lower because of the progressive tax system. Regardless of what your tax contribution may be, the average person in the US pays much lower taxes than those in other developed countries. In fact, the very rich in the US are subjected to lower tax rates than the middle class because most of their income is from capital gains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetflyer View Post
Some people say US has lower taxes compared to other countries, thats because they do not count SS + Medicare as part ot Tax, which in my opinion should be included as tax/liability.
If so, we pay (per say) 25% tax, it is actually 25+7.65+7.65 = 40.3% tax. On top, add your state tax, which in my case is 5.75%, so all together 46.05% is my tax.

It is like you order pizza and you pay separate for crust + sauce + cheese + toppings.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #13 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Compare
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 151
redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Indians can get SS in India

You don't have to be GC/Citizen to get SS. You can get it in India if you have enough credits. Why drag Indian politicians here?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2010, 03:08 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 873
Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute Dhundhun has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snthampi View Post
I agree with you. I almost made up my mind to go back in couple of years and I am not going get a penny back of my hard earned money that I paid towards SS+Medicare. People from a lot of other countries do get at least SS benefits. Indian politicians are totally useless to get anything done and they don't really care.
It is basically agreement between countries.

If a Canada resident works in USA for one year, Govt. of Canada will take money from US at the time of retirement and combine retirement benefits (so that there is no windfall benefits).

If an Indian works in USA and accumulates 40 points or more, US gives back SS at retirement age. There is no combining of retirement benefits (Indian Pension and US SS) as far as I know. So what I understand, an Indian get windfall benefit after 40 points.

There are many other countries, you don't get a penny.

=============
Indian Govt did not put committed effort. Some spurious efforts are to take money back, of join Indian pension benefits and US SS. But things are not clear. What if an American work in India - Is he going to get retirement money back in US in US$. I think India has issues combining benefits and coming up with firm standing.


Note: Limiting Retirement Windfall Benefit: If this is not restricted many people can work both in US and Canada and have full retirement money form both countries - that is almost doubling the retirement income. So It is limited by MAX permissible.
__________________
PD: 03/10/2005, EB2-I, I485 approved on 07/14/2010

Last edited by Dhundhun; 03-25-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #15 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 136
snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future snthampi has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgreen View Post
You don't have to be GC/Citizen to get SS. You can get it in India if you have enough credits. Why drag Indian politicians here?
So, you are saying that if I accumulate 40 credits and go back to India, I will get SS from the US in retirement age?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


Reply

Bookmarks

advertisement
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Contributions kshitijnt Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins 2 01-25-2007 10:48 PM
Contributions cpolisetti IV Agenda and Legislative Updates 0 03-31-2006 05:12 PM
Contributions eb3_nepa IV Agenda and Legislative Updates 7 02-24-2006 12:57 PM


advertisement

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c)ImmigrationVoice.org