Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Analysis Discussion
Click to log in with Facebook
Analysis Discussion This forum is used to analyze, predict, track and share the information about the progress of visa dates, visa bulletin and application status of individual cases.

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 01:33 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Compare
GCDo is on a distinguished road
Default Memorandum of marriage

My lawyer just informed me that I received an RFE on my wife's 485
USCIS is asking for "Memorandum of marriage"
Is it the same as Marriage certificate. I have already send the marriage certificate which states that the marriage has been registered under Hindu marriage registration rules. My name as well as my wifes name and date of amrriage is there.

Why do they need this additional proof Not sure. Has anyone faced this RFE?
Looks like some crazy guys are working in USCIS hell bent on harassing legal immigrants.
I have been given just four weeks to respond.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2009, 09:17 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDo View Post
Is it the same as Marriage certificate. I have already send the marriage certificate which states that the marriage has been registered under Hindu marriage registration rules. My name as well as my wifes name and date of amrriage is there.

Looks like some crazy guys are working in USCIS hell bent on harassing legal immigrants.
I never heard of this...what crap it is.?

Old 04-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
immigrant-in-law will become famous soon enough
Default Same here!

The same happened in my case. Got informed by the lawyer yesterday that my wife's 485 has an RFE and that USCIS has asked for a copy of marriage cert and some pictures of the ceremony/celebrations etc. I do remember sending them this stuff when we initially filed 485.

Quote:

Old 04-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute jayleno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Same here

Guys,

A few days back my wife got the same RFE. Except we were asked to sumbit different evidence like joint back account, joint tax filings, joint residency, insurance on which both names are listed etc.

Looks like its getting very common to request this evidence recently.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/20/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
03/20/2003
Compare
chnaveen has much to be proud of chnaveen has much to be proud of chnaveen has much to be proud of chnaveen has much to be proud of chnaveen has much to be proud of chnaveen has much to be proud of chnaveen has much to be proud of chnaveen has much to be proud of
Default Nothing to worry

I understand the pain beacuse of these RFE as we all are waiting for our GC.
There is no need to worry about these kind of RFEs. Just like and RFE asking for latest empolyment verfication letters and W2s, this RFE for Marrige proofs is also similar.
As there is a possibility of the couple getting divorced, USCIS wants to make sure, the couple are still married during the entire process time of their GCs.
It doesn't mean that, in every one's case, they send this RFE, It's just Random.
And in case, if any one of the couple, sends any information to USCIS that they are not living together and a chance of getting divorced, then in those cases, USCIS sends the RFE.
But in most other cases, it's just Random. We have to reply to that RFE with the documents such as, the Marriage certificate, any documents to show that you are still married and living together, like, any Bank statements with Joint accounts, Birth certificates of the recent kids born to the couple etc.
485 RD - 03/20/2003
RFE - 11/2004
FP1 - 09/2003
FP2 - 02/01/2006
FP3 - 05/01/2007
485 AD - 06/19/2007.

advertisement

Old 04-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of

A Memorandum of Marriage is different from the Certificate of Marriage.
A Memorandum of Marriage is required to obtain a Marriage Certificate.

Here is a sample (Schedule A) of the Memorandum of Marriage.
You will need to obtain one from your local Marriage Court.
http://ncw.nic.in/compMarriageBill.pdf

I would say, the marriage certificate, a notarized copy of the Memorandum of Marriage from India, with some additional proof, like photos, invites', etc should suffice.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07-22-2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07-11-2007
Compare
jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future
Post question

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post
A Memorandum of Marriage is different from the Certificate of Marriage.
A Memorandum of Marriage is required to obtain a Marriage Certificate.

Here is a sample (Schedule A) of the Memorandum of Marriage.
You will need to obtain one from your local Marriage Court.
http://ncw.nic.in/compMarriageBill.pdf

I would say, the marriage certificate, a notarized copy of the Memorandum of Marriage from India, with some additional proof, like photos, invites', etc should suffice.
To avoid the RFE, will it be okay to get registered at the local county in US?

I think during the time of economic recession, USCIS is trying to help survive the immigration lawyers,. At present there are less cases of new H1B as the quote is still open. My lawyer sends me some past invoices in between. LOL

Old 04-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas View Post
To avoid the RFE, will it be okay to get registered at the local county in US?

I think during the time of economic recession, USCIS is trying to help survive the immigration lawyers,. At present there are less cases of new H1B as the quote is still open. My lawyer sends me some past invoices in between. LOL
If you are not married, Yes, you can get married in the US, however, you will have to register the marriage in your home country if both of you are non-citizens.

If you get married in accordance with the Hindu rituals, you will need a Memorandum of Marriage to get a certificate. the form might vary from state to state or even jurisdictions.
OR
you can set up a date with your marriage court and get married in court, that is called a legal marriage(registered marriage).

Old 04-25-2009, 02:45 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Compare
GCDo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snathan View Post
I never heard of this...what crap it is.?
Checked with my company lawyer. According to them it is a separate document from marriage certificate.
I applied for GC only after getting married , so right from the beginning my passport etc has my wifes name in it. What caused this RFE still baffles me.
I am not sure how will I get this document sitting in USA within 2 weeks.

Is there any other alternative ? Has any one faced with this kind of RFE and has given
some substitute for "Memorandum of marriage"

Old 04-25-2009, 02:57 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/28/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Checked with my company lawyer. According to them it is a separate document from marriage certificate.
I applied for GC only after getting married , so right from the beginning my passport etc has my wifes name in it. What caused this RFE still baffles me.
I am not sure how will I get this document sitting in USA within 2 weeks.

Is there any other alternative ? Has any one faced with this kind of RFE and has given
some substitute for "Memorandum of marriage"
It might be application you made for registering the marriage. I googled it and got this result
http://www.karigr.org/download/hindu...ge%20forms.pdf

advertisement

Old 04-25-2009, 03:40 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB1B
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2007
Compare
raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute raysaikat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post
however, you will have to register the marriage in your home country if both of you are non-citizens.
Where did you get that?

Old 04-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
browncow is a jewel in the rough browncow is a jewel in the rough browncow is a jewel in the rough browncow is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysaikat View Post
Where did you get that?
http://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/marriage.html

Old 05-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
mkk is on a distinguished road
Default RFE for the marriage proof

Hi
we also received the RFE from USCIS for my wife requesting the memorandum of marriage.we have already send the marriage registration certificate.Has any one recieved the RFE like this and what is the solution.My lawyer said that we are going to resubmit the marriage registration certificate again.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:58 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/19/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/22/2007
Compare
trramesh is a splendid one to behold trramesh is a splendid one to behold trramesh is a splendid one to behold trramesh is a splendid one to behold trramesh is a splendid one to behold trramesh is a splendid one to behold trramesh is a splendid one to behold
Default betrothal

Memorandum of marriage means like betrothal. Some people write them, while some do it as a ritual with no documentation. May be something to work around this line I guess

Old 07-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
atul77@gmail.com is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayleno View Post
Guys,

A few days back my wife got the same RFE. Except we were asked to sumbit different evidence like joint back account, joint tax filings, joint residency, insurance on which both names are listed etc.

Looks like its getting very common to request this evidence recently.
Hi there,
I also got similar RFE. I already submitted my marriage certificate.
Can u pls tell me what did u do to resolve this ?
I got married in Delhi and have marriage certificate.

Thanks a lot in advance

Atul