Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Recent Blogs
Click to log in with Facebook
Recent Blogs RSS feeds of select Blogs on Immigration

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all
Default Marriage Visa Law - Ten Tips for Proper Filing of Marriage Based Adjustment of Status

From time to time, we are providing more information about the above referenced process. Although it may seem to be simple, we suggest you to consult a qualified immigration attorney before filing the application to become a permanent resident based on marriage to a US Citizen.

Prior to submitting the forms to Department of Homeland Security, there are 10 simple technical tips to follow for proper filing. They are as follows:

1. Use the most current edition of the form available on the USCIS Website; (www.uscis.gov)

2. Follow instructions on the form to see if you qualify for the benefit sought (For example, if you entered the country illegally you are not eligible to file form I-485 and continue with this process);

3. If a question does not apply to you, make sure you write “NONE” or “N/A”, never leave a box empty on the forms or else the case may be delayed;

4. Type the information. If typing is not feasible, then print legibly, if printing use a Black ink pen only. Just type the forms, trust us!

5. Don’t forget the appropriate filing fee. Make the check or money order payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Do not send cash. The fee for a complete adjustment case is $1365. The work permit and travel authorization are included in this fee, no need to pay per form;

6. Make sure the Petitioner or Beneficiary signs and dates where appropriate, if you forget to sign, the USCIS will send you back the entire case;

7. Do not forget the supporting documentation to support the petition or application (clear copies of marriage certificate, divorce papers and and birth records are a must);

8. Send the petition to the correct mailing address - Mail or Overnight the package certified return receipt via the U.S. Postal Service, FedEx, etc. For Mail, send the complete application to:

USCIS Lockbox Addresses:
For United States Postal Service (USPS) deliveries:
USCIS
P.O. Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120

For private couriers (non-USPS) deliveries:
USCIS
Attn: FBASI
131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517. If the petition is sent to the wrong mailing address, the petition can be rejected for improper filing.

9. Make copies of everything you send for records, NEVER send originals to USCIS as you will never see the papers again and you will need to resent originals only at the interview.

10. Start collecting all the necessary documents to establish your life together as a Husband and wife your interview will be just a few months away.

Click here for step by step filing instructions

More...

Approved by IV Mods
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/05/2007
Compare
crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of

For those of you who are in EB3 and are still single, this could be the only way you can get a GC now. Maybe IV should negotiate a discount with match.com or something

Just kidding and trying to make light of the Oct bulletin. No reds please.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The real question is ???

I have my I485 filed based on employment, can i file another one based on Marriage ? Will I loose my status employment status ?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2012
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
deecha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyghoda View Post
For those of you who are in EB3 and are still single, this could be the only way you can get a GC now. Maybe IV should negotiate a discount with match.com or something

Just kidding and trying to make light of the Oct bulletin. No reds please.
Even marriage to a US citizen is no guarantee of a green card. Statistics say that a lot of marriages fail within the first two years here. Furthermore, if you do end up getting a conditional green card and the marriage falls apart within the first two years, then you're truly screwed as you wont have any status (because the employment based i485 is dismissed once you get conditional GC).

Speaking from the standpoint of an Indian guy, I don't want to sound prejudiced, but there is just no denying that the culture here is quite incompatible with many ethnic cultures (including Indian) because the expectations are different. Unless you're extremely lucky and get a traditional Indian girl who happens to be a US citizen, the odds of a successful life long relationship with someone from here is quite small. I speak from first hand experience after having dated quite a few white American women (please don't label me racist) and now been married to an Indian woman. It's like day and night. That's just my experience and your case may turn out to be very different.