Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 12:00 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute
Default IV Advocacy Event: 1st to 4th March, 2014

The link to the registration form --> http://immigrationvoice.org/index.ph...=80&Itemid=132

Greetings!

It's time to refocus our energies on making immigration reform a reality. We are at a critical juncture in the U.S Congress. As you may be aware, the House of Representatives is expected to bring its own bill, for a vote on the House floor.

But given the trend of immigration bills under consideration in the House of Representatives, it will be naive to believe that employment based green card backlogs will be automatically resolved. As shared in our previous newsletter, the House bill H.R.2131 will result in a ten fold increase in the existing backlog and a wait time of 300 years from the current 30 years, which is impractical.

We have to ensure that we are not forgotten, as we carry the burden of speaking up and sharing our stories. Either we can sit on the sidelines and watch a small handful of groups obfuscate our issues, or, we have the option to stand-up now and speak up to help craft a fair policy - the most American thing to do.

If you ask us, we say let's step-up and join hands, meet lawmakers, speak up in town halls, come to DC for the advocacy event, donate air miles, help fund someone else's travel, donate towards the organization of the event, make phone calls and spread the message.

The IV core team cannot do this alone. We need your help urgently to focus on 2 Action Items.
Quote:
* Lobby Days in Washington, D.C.: Register for DC advocacy event on March 1 - 4. Make travel plans in advance and join your fellow IV members, to meet and advocate our fixes with more than 300 Members of Congress. You can be a part of making history and have the satisfaction of doing something for yourself and your family.
Quote:
* Contribution: As you may know, we have paid advocacy efforts ongoing in DC on a continuous basis and we receive professional counsel from lobbyists. In order to keep those critical efforts going they must be well-funded during this important period. We need your help to pitch in and contribute towards this cause. You have the opportunity to see the wonderful work being done for yourself by attending our advocacy event in DC on March 1-4.
Although we all love Democracy, nothing happens by itself. The onus of speaking up and participating in the political process always lies on the people seeking a change. Each one of us has the capacity to do his/her share. The question is not - can we make a difference; the real question is - WILL WE STEP-UP TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE?

Please do not assume or take it for granted that green card backlogs will be automatically solved in the final package of immigration reform.

Life is too short. You can either spend your time on the sidelines, or, you could join others in the good fight, which we all will remember for rest of our lives. Put your time, money and effort on the table. You will not be doing it for anyone else. This is about you and your families. We hope that each one of you will make the right choice, so that you can look back at this moment, one day, with pride not regret.

We look forward to seeing you in Washington, D.C. on March 1st - 4th.

Thank You,
Immigration Voice

Last edited by Neverquit; 01-22-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2014, 12:00 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

What is Advocacy Days?

Advocacy Days does not involve rallies or protest on the streets. Instead Advocacy Days involve working collaboratively with the office of the Members of Congress in meeting format. This is more of the meeting in which you explain issues affecting you and the community. Members of Congress are not fully aware of our issues, which is why events such as - Advocacy Days - is needed to create awareness on our issues. Members of Congress want to listen and learn about the hardships faced by immigrants, they want to fix the broken system. The question is, are you willing to step up to make your voice count and actively participate to make the difference.

Why is this a 3 day event?

The way we organize advocacy days is - we ask that you arrive in Washington, D.C. either on the 1st night or 2nd March early morning. Whole day on 2nd March, we will go over how to tell your unedited personal story effectively. You may think you know everything about advocacy, but the fact is, if you have not been to meeting with your representatives in the past, chances are you will not be able to make the best out of the face time with the Congressional offices. That is why attending this training is very very important and mandatory for effective and successful advocacy meetings so that you could articulate the issue, problems and solutions/recommendations to fix the system.

Have you done Advocacy Days before?

We have conducted over 12 advocacy days till now. Due to various reason, many of these events were not unannounced on the forum. Each Advocacy event involves constituents coming in from across the country, as far as Alaska and Hawaii, representing each State/district. Most Advocacy days are attended by around 100-125 members. This time we are expecting around 350 Congressional meetings in two days. In these meetings we will explain our issues and providing meaningful suggestions to fix the systematic problem with the system.

How many meetings will I go to?

After all day training on the 2nd March, your entire day on 3rd and 4th March will be packed with Congressional meetings. You will be going to Congressional meetings in small groups with others attending the Advocacy days from your State/other States.

How many IV members are you expecting in this Advocacy Days? Who has already signed up?

We are planning on conducting around 350 meetings in 2 days. So we would like around 150 members to attend this event. If you can imagine, scheduling 350 Congressional meetings, matching with the schedule of 150 different people coming in and leaving from out of town, making sure everyone is comfortable and well placed, it's a complex task to plan and execute such an event. Which is why, we prefer no more than 150 members. The question is, are you willing to step up to make your voice count and actively participate to make the difference.

Some of the IV members who have already signed up include PHDs, Medical doctors, employees to large tech companies, university professors etc. We would like to invite everyone who aligns with our stated goals of elimination of EB backlogs.

What are you supposed to do to be part of Advocacy days? What Do I need to do in advance?

You do not have to do anything in advance. If you have the burning desire to stand-up for you and your family, to speak up and have your voice heard in a democratic process, have lawmakers listen to your issues so that there could be a meaningful reform, then this is your chance to make a difference.

Just sign-up and show up on time. We will setup meetings with Senate offices and specific House offices for you. When you arrive, we will hand you your meeting schedule, training material, advocacy folders for each office, provide you with specific training on how to meaningfully and effectively communicate your personal story, plus we will go over how to explain our problems and issues when you go for the meetings with Congressional Offices.

Sign-up for the Advocacy days here

I've Secret clearance required for my job, will attending Advocacy Days affect my clearance?

Speaking-up and making your voice heard in a civilized manner is the most American thing. In Advocacy events, we are meeting with Congressional offices to tell our stories and recommend solutions based on how things work on the ground. There is nothing wrong with participating in Advocacy days. In fact, at the meeting you could probably end up getting picture with your Senator or Member of Congress. None of this should negatively affect your security clearance of any other part of your job or immigration process.

Please read below for the experience of others who attend past IV Advocacy Days:

1) redds777 sharing his story and highlighting the importance of the IV platform.

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/fo...ml#post1962756

2) devang777 shares his inspiring experience and the power feeling of visiting Capitol Hill.
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/fo...ml#post1962889

3) needhelp has flown across the country to be at EVERY IV advocacy event, even after getting her GC. She is one of our respected lead volunteers and has been involved with the behind-the-scenes logistics and preparations for every IV advocacy event. Below is her experience -

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/fo...ml#post1963685

4) Advocacy day experience by Starsun, another major driving force behind coordinating all our advocacy events

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/fo...ml#post1963702

5) http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/fo...ml#post1963852

6) gsc999 shares a very important perspective and his experience with advocacy.
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/fo...ml#post1963883

7) logiclife sharing his IV advocacy experience in an inspiring way
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/fo...ml#post1964344

8) goosetavo sharing his experience and highlighting the importance of advocating for our cause

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/fo...ml#post1964381

9) Longtime IV member santb1975 providing a detailed description about the 3-day event in April 2010.
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/fo...ml#post1965259

Last edited by Neverquit; 01-22-2014 at 12:28 PM.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:01 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare

The link to the registration form --> ImmigrationVoice.org - Advocacy Event Registration Form

Last edited by pappu; 01-22-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:09 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare

The thread will be updated soon with details. Please post this link
ImmigrationVoice.org - Advocacy Event Registration Form
on all other websites. Please continue to do that everyday on other websites, community groups so that this link stays on top and not get buried or deleted. It will help publicize the event and get more participation. Please also post the link http://immigrationvoice.org/index.ph...=80&Itemid=132 on your facebook so that your friends know about it. We have seen sharing on Facebook is a more effective method than any advertising effort.

Please also contribute generously so that we can cover the expenses of the event.

Last edited by pappu; 01-22-2014 at 12:12 PM.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2007
Compare
Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute
Default Donation - $100

PayPal transaction 36D0174252335642G

advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 05:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2007
Compare
Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute Desertfox has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pledge

I will make another donation of $100 once we have reached $2000 in one-time donations reported on this page.

Let us bump this post above rants and fights by reporting generous donations

Old 01-23-2014, 06:44 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
django1 has a reputation beyond repute django1 has a reputation beyond repute django1 has a reputation beyond repute django1 has a reputation beyond repute django1 has a reputation beyond repute django1 has a reputation beyond repute django1 has a reputation beyond repute django1 has a reputation beyond repute django1 has a reputation beyond repute django1 has a reputation beyond repute django1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

I don't mean to draw attention away from the plights of those waiting for GC's but could there be any agenda items for GC Holders. Before you ask, I have been to multiple advocacy days and made 4-figure contributions. maybe causes such as requesting that ppl who have waited more than 10 years for GC get citizenship on an expedited basis or reducing the wait time for employment based GC's to citizenship to 3 years (such as what exists for marriage based GC's, I think) would benefit all (both current and future green card holders).

sorry if I am diverting attention in any way, don't mean to do the same.

Thanks

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:50 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by django1 View Post
Hello,

I don't mean to draw attention away from the plights of those waiting for GC's but could there be any agenda items for GC Holders. Before you ask, I have been to multiple advocacy days and made 4-figure contributions. maybe causes such as requesting that ppl who have waited more than 10 years for GC get citizenship on an expedited basis or reducing the wait time for employment based GC's to citizenship to 3 years (such as what exists for marriage based GC's, I think) would benefit all (both current and future green card holders).

sorry if I am diverting attention in any way, don't mean to do the same.

Thanks
It would have to be a separate project. IV is stretched thin on time and resources to take it up. It is something GC holders can certainly take it up. The question is how many citizens and greencard holders think there is a burning need for it and how much they are willing to sacrifice for it? It will require several years of advocacy and lot of their resources and time to bring awareness and advocate for it. Even a simple idea takes a lot to get anything done. So whoever is working on it should be committed to work on it for many years if needed despite getting their citizenship for the benefit of others behind him. The other issue with this kind of idea is how much support you can get both financially and time from current greencard holders and citizens. By financial support I mean significant amount in total and not just $25 each month. Remember citizens and greencard holders can contribute directly to election campaigns. It will be a different ballgame that will require upgrading from IV level advocacy which I think only a handful who have been with IV for a very long time, attended many events, fundraisers of congressmen, done networking, traveled across the country to meet people on their own funds and vacation time and built alliances and contacts with several organizations really understand. Basically the more you do all these, the better your chances are. It applies to IV as well and if we had more resources, fulltime staff our achievements would have been a lot more by now.

It is not to discourage you. But it is beyond the world of forums and online petitions that many are used to. One should know what it will take if one wants to get into it after becoming a GC holder or citizen..
===================
Use the info in the post at your risk. None of this is legal advice.
-----------

Last edited by pappu; 01-23-2014 at 09:52 AM.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:42 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Donated $100

PayPal transaction number
79K90286GF166822V

Keep up the good work

Old 01-25-2014, 04:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2007
Compare

bump

advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 03:35 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2007
Compare

bump

Old 01-29-2014, 03:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2007
Compare

bump

Old 02-01-2014, 12:11 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2007
Compare

bump

Old 02-03-2014, 11:40 PM
Facebook User
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rupen is on a distinguished road

Why is this forum so quiet on this ?

Old 02-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
spaceguy has a reputation beyond repute spaceguy has a reputation beyond repute spaceguy has a reputation beyond repute spaceguy has a reputation beyond repute spaceguy has a reputation beyond repute spaceguy has a reputation beyond repute spaceguy has a reputation beyond repute spaceguy has a reputation beyond repute spaceguy has a reputation beyond repute spaceguy has a reputation beyond repute spaceguy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any updates on this advocacy event

Are we still doing this ?
I have registered to come . So far I didn't get any updates.
Any body is coordinating the accommodation, car pool to the venue etc.