Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2007, 10:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/26/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
yorstruly is on a distinguished road
Default Driver's License Renewal using I-485 receipt?

Hi All,
My wife's driving license is nearing expiry and we need to renew it. She was on F1-OPT earlier but now that is expired and she is just AOS applicant (no other Visa status).
Since I-485 receipt allows one to stay in the US, can we use that to renew a DL? I have a feeling that this question may be a stupid one, but not sure.
I am on H1. Shall we file H4 to take care of these things? Or wait for EAD?

Any advice would be of great help!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
prom2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorstruly View Post
Hi All,
My wife's driving license is nearing expiry and we need to renew it. She was on F1-OPT earlier but now that is expired and she is just AOS applicant (no other Visa status).
Since I-485 receipt allows one to stay in the US, can we use that to renew a DL? I have a feeling that this question may be a stupid one, but not sure.
I am on H1. Shall we file H4 to take care of these things? Or wait for EAD?

Any advice would be of great help!
I think it depends on what State you are living.

Good luck.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:45 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
inspectorfox is an unknown quantity at this point

This didn't work for me in NJ. My driver license has expired today and I was not able to renew I didn't have the original approval notice for my H1B extension which was mailed out on Wednesday as per USCIS email. I tried to convince the DMV person but to no avail. I showd my I129 receipt, approval email, I485 receipt, EAD receipt but nothing works here. My day to day life is in a major crisis... I had to cancel my son's doctors appointment, I don't know how I am going to manage to commute to work come Monday. DMV laws need to be redefined immediately >>> NJ 6 POINT ID CHECK is total crap... I don't think it can stop the bad guys from making the license. They can go to other states and get their license easily.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:12 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
JulyFiler is just really nice JulyFiler is just really nice JulyFiler is just really nice JulyFiler is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorfox View Post
This didn't work for me in NJ. My driver license has expired today and I was not able to renew I didn't have the original approval notice for my H1B extension which was mailed out on Wednesday as per USCIS email. I tried to convince the DMV person but to no avail. I showd my I129 receipt, approval email, I485 receipt, EAD receipt but nothing works here. My day to day life is in a major crisis... I had to cancel my son's doctors appointment, I don't know how I am going to manage to commute to work come Monday. DMV laws need to be redefined immediately >>> NJ 6 POINT ID CHECK is total crap... I don't think it can stop the bad guys from making the license. They can go to other states and get their license easily.
Well the "bad guys" wouldnt really be bad if they walked into a DMV office right? They have their own ring to get their licence or GC or whatever. Its only those who follow the rules that get screwed in the name of rule.

CA DMV is screwing us too. Am going by bus for last 2 weeks.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:38 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Philippines
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
JunRN is a splendid one to behold JunRN is a splendid one to behold JunRN is a splendid one to behold JunRN is a splendid one to behold JunRN is a splendid one to behold JunRN is a splendid one to behold JunRN is a splendid one to behold

This is one reason why one should apply for an EAD or AP eventhough there's no plan to use them....to get driver's license.

Old 09-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
ameryki is a jewel in the rough ameryki is a jewel in the rough ameryki is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorfox View Post
I think the guy that heads the DMV side of things in NJ is a desi too :-(

Old 09-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/08/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
tampacoolie has a reputation beyond repute tampacoolie has a reputation beyond repute tampacoolie has a reputation beyond repute tampacoolie has a reputation beyond repute tampacoolie has a reputation beyond repute tampacoolie has a reputation beyond repute tampacoolie has a reputation beyond repute tampacoolie has a reputation beyond repute tampacoolie has a reputation beyond repute tampacoolie has a reputation beyond repute tampacoolie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why not USCIS issue DL for legal non-immigrants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameryki View Post
I think the guy that heads the DMV side of things in NJ is a desi too :-(

I think USCIS should start issuing temporary DL for legal-non immigrants. 6 point ID verification is total piece of crap.

Last edited by tampacoolie; 09-29-2007 at 02:07 PM.