Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bonzybuddy is on a distinguished road
Question Student going to marry to a green card holder

Hello Everyone,
I am on student visa and my OPT will be starting in Jan 2013. I love a girl who is green card holder and but her parents are citizens. I have question that, If I marry to her while in OPT and then she files for GC for me too, how long it will take? I heard that It takes too long than normal time.
What other option I can go for if GC takes too long after marriage?
Please guide me in this direction.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Compare
go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzybuddy View Post
Hello Everyone,
I am on student visa and my OPT will be starting in Jan 2013. I love a girl who is green card holder and but her parents are citizens. I have question that, If I marry to her while in OPT and then she files for GC for me too, how long it will take? I heard that It takes too long than normal time.
What other option I can go for if GC takes too long after marriage?
Please guide me in this direction.
You can marry anytime even on B1 and F1 visa. After 5 years on GC your spouse can apply for citizenship.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_guy123 View Post
You can marry anytime even on B1 and F1 visa. After 5 years on GC your spouse can apply for citizenship.
Thanks friend,

But I know that I can marry on F1, But question is what can I do ( or what are the options) to stay on status once my OPT finishes after marriage.

What I have to do before OPT expires ?

Old 11-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kiran_pathuri has a reputation beyond repute kiran_pathuri has a reputation beyond repute kiran_pathuri has a reputation beyond repute kiran_pathuri has a reputation beyond repute kiran_pathuri has a reputation beyond repute kiran_pathuri has a reputation beyond repute kiran_pathuri has a reputation beyond repute kiran_pathuri has a reputation beyond repute kiran_pathuri has a reputation beyond repute kiran_pathuri has a reputation beyond repute kiran_pathuri has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzybuddy View Post
Thanks friend,

But I know that I can marry on F1, But question is what can I do ( or what are the options) to stay on status once my OPT finishes after marriage.

What I have to do before OPT expires ?
You will be out of status. Getting your GC will take a lot more time than 5 years. She can become a citizen in 5 years and spnsor your GC. Once your OPT is over, convert to H1 if a sponsoring employer is available or else you may need to do go back to college again and convert into F1.

One of my friend on GC got married and he needed to wait 1 year to become citizen and then sponsored his wife's GC.

Also there is another option, I am not sure of complete details but this is how it works. You need to go to the consulate in your home country after marriage and they may grant you a GC directly. This may only be for humanitarian reasons but I am not sure.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_pathuri View Post
You will be out of status. Getting your GC will take a lot more time than 5 years. She can become a citizen in 5 years and spnsor your GC. Once your OPT is over, convert to H1 if a sponsoring employer is available or else you may need to do go back to college again and convert into F1.

One of my friend on GC got married and he needed to wait 1 year to become citizen and then sponsored his wife's GC.

Also there is another option, I am not sure of complete details but this is how it works. You need to go to the consulate in your home country after marriage and they may grant you a GC directly. This may only be for humanitarian reasons but I am not sure.
Kiran,
Thank you for the directions. I think H1 would be good for me for now. Still I will consult lawyer.