Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 07:47 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/07/2007
Compare
foobar2001 has much to be proud of foobar2001 has much to be proud of foobar2001 has much to be proud of foobar2001 has much to be proud of foobar2001 has much to be proud of foobar2001 has much to be proud of foobar2001 has much to be proud of foobar2001 has much to be proud of foobar2001 has much to be proud of foobar2001 has much to be proud of
Question Timeline for Green card process for parents of US citizens?

hi fellow IVers,

posting for a friend who is a US citizen and wishes to apply for GCs for their parents through the family based quota. Had a couple of questions -

(a) I believe for parents of citizens, there is no priority date queue -- is that correct? (thus, there is no wait period beyond regular application processing times, and their nationality doesnt matter - right?)

(b) Does anyone know how long it typically takes for parents to get their GCs after a citizen files for their permanent residence?

thanks!
-fb
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/07/2007
Compare
foobar2001 has much to be proud of foobar2001 has much to be proud of foobar2001 has much to be proud of foobar2001 has much to be proud of foobar2001 has much to be proud of foobar2001 has much to be proud of foobar2001 has much to be proud of foobar2001 has much to be proud of foobar2001 has much to be proud of foobar2001 has much to be proud of

Pinging thread once.....anyone?

Old 01-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar2001 View Post
hi fellow IVers,

posting for a friend who is a US citizen and wishes to apply for GCs for their parents through the family based quota. Had a couple of questions -

(a) I believe for parents of citizens, there is no priority date queue -- is that correct? (thus, there is no wait period beyond regular application processing times, and their nationality doesnt matter - right?)

(b) Does anyone know how long it typically takes for parents to get their GCs after a citizen files for their permanent residence?

thanks!
-fb
(a) Corret

(b) My friend applied for his wife's parents and it took 8-9 month for the complete process from the date of the application to final approval. The elderly couple came and then left after a few months and did not want to come for long duration. My friend filed for 2 year one time waiver but elderly couple do not want to settle here. So they spent around 15K but not of much use.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:05 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/07/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhair View Post
(a) Corret

(b) My friend applied for his wife's parents and it took 8-9 month for the complete process from the date of the application to final approval. The elderly couple came and then left after a few months and did not want to come for long duration. My friend filed for 2 year one time waiver but elderly couple do not want to settle here. So they spent around 15K but not of much use.
thanks for the info - i also checked the USCIS processing times and it seems to be about 6 months for I130 stage, and the time the next step (family based I485) was not given there.

Yes, even in this case my friends parents are not sure how long they will be able to stay at a time (initially - ultimately they would like to move here, but not right away i believe) -- so they'll need to figure out how much of a hassle it is to "maintain" permanent residence status (by filing waivers etc) - and whether they may want to delay applying in case the hassle is non trivial.