Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > All other Green Card Issues
Click to log in with Facebook
All other Green Card Issues I-140/I-485, Family Based Green Card

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
swats78 is a splendid one to behold swats78 is a splendid one to behold swats78 is a splendid one to behold swats78 is a splendid one to behold swats78 is a splendid one to behold swats78 is a splendid one to behold swats78 is a splendid one to behold swats78 is a splendid one to behold
Default IV should take up with FAFSA for clarity on eligble Non-Citizens

With the current backlogs especially for EB3, there are a few thousand I-485 dependent applicants applying to colleges every year. Being a parent of one who is getting ready for college, I am realizing how antiquated the FAFSA rules are, and how unhelpful or frustrating the FAFSA process is.
There is so much clamour for the Dream Act etc to give an opportunity for the undocumented youth to pursue their education. But what about our kids, who are here legally? In many states despite being Tax paying residents for a number of years, we are not even eligible for In-state tution fees. Paying Out of State tution is really atrocious. But many of these Universities have their own sets of rules, it is nearly impossible for the IV to make any change to these rules.
However, if the I-485 applicants are allowed to apply to FAFSA, the State universities get their info from FAFSA, so the students will be entitled to atleast some state aid and scholarships.
Would IV please take up with FAFSA and ask them to clarify the rules on "Eligible Non-Citizens" and include the I-485 applicants specifically.

This is what the FAFSA has to say about eligible Non-Citizens:

If you fall in one of the categories below, you are considered an “eligible noncitizen.”

1. You are a
U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swains Island) or
U.S. permanent resident with a Form I-551, I-151, or I-551C (Permanent Resident Card, Resident Alien Card, or Alien Registration Receipt Card), also known as a green card.
2. You have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing

“Refugee,”
“Asylum Granted,”
“Cuban-Haitian Entrant (Status Pending),”
“Conditional Entrant” (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980), or
“Parolee” (you must be paroled for at least one year, and you must be able to provide evidence from the USCIS that you are not in the United States for a temporary purpose and that you intend to become a U.S. citizen or permanent resident).

And the fsahandbook on page 1-33 says the following:
http://ifap.ed.gov/fsahandbook/attac...HbkVol1Ch2.pdf

5. “Alien paroled into the United States pursuant to Section 212(d) (5) of the INA ...” The student is eligible for aid if paroled into the U.S. for one year or more the corresponding subsidiary box must be checked) and if he has evidence from the DHS (such as having filed a valid permanent resident application) that he is in the U.S. for other than a temporary purpose and intends to become a citizen or permanent resident. The new G-845 form that USCIS will issue in 2011 (mentioned in the margin note on page 31) has date fields for the start and end of the parole period. If, for example, the start date were September 22, 2011, and the end date were September 21, 2012, the parole period would be for one year.

THis is what the USCIS web site says about the Advance Parole:
Chapter 54 Advance Parole Documents and Boarding Letters.

There is no separate statutory authority for advance parole. Rather, the use of advance parole is an outgrowth of administrative practice stemming from the general parole authority at section 212(d)(5) of the Act, and is now incorporated into regulation. The practice of authorization of advance parole has also been recognized by Federal courts.

But what confuses me is what the FAFSA Handbook says on 1-27:

Their documentation must have a stamp indicating that the student has been paroled into the United States for at least one year, with a date that has not expired. (Federal Student Aid cannot be disbursed after the document has expired.)

The I-94 is bound to expire in a year anyway. Then what?

There are several other questions here. What I learnt after going to several forums and after corresponding with FAFSA is, the applications by I-485 applicants are either rejected or accepted randomly. This is because FAFSA is not sure or ignorant of our status i.e. AOS. Based on what I said above, we can be covered under Parolee. But even with an unexpired I-94, FAFSA asks you to contact the University where you are admitted, and they simply say you are not an "Eligible Non-Citizen", so you are entitled to any Aid/scholarships.

When the FAFSA is saying "Parolee" is an eligible citizen, they need to offer more clarity and include I-485 applicants unconditionally.

I urge IV to take the initiative on this as it will help a large number of kids. I understand there are other priority matters for IV, but taking up this issue with FAFSA on behalf of IV will in no way dilute the ongoing action items. It will really mean a lot for the younger generation.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 06:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute

Have you spoken with any lawyer about this rule interpretation? Maybe your solution could be wrong interpretation or class action lawsuit.

The other question I have is why only include people who have filed I485? What about those who have not or are on other visas like H1 or L1?

You also need a bigger reason for change of rule. Saying you have paid taxes so you should get a discount will be negative. Discounts are given to weaker section of society everywhere in American system who cannot afford. Legal folks are seen as high earning people.

How many people are there for it? This is the first time I am hearing. A lot of my friends did MBA without greencard. So are you saying this will help them?

I don't think it is an immigration issue. It is an education issue you need to go and talk to department of Education.

Just thinking aloud if you need to raise it high to protest what are pros and cons.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
swats78 is a splendid one to behold swats78 is a splendid one to behold swats78 is a splendid one to behold swats78 is a splendid one to behold swats78 is a splendid one to behold swats78 is a splendid one to behold swats78 is a splendid one to behold swats78 is a splendid one to behold

"waitingnwaiting " It would have been better if you had kept your thoughts to yourself instead of sharing with rest of the world. Wisdom lies in not commenting on something you know nothing of.
Lawyer? Class action suit?

Here are some more facts for you:
  • The cost involved in studying an undergarduate degree is around $200K. Then if one has to study medcine, that will be another $250K.
  • There are no discounts(please) . There are Scholarships, Grants, Pell Grants, PLUS loans, Subsidized Loans, Unsubsidized Loans. There is also In-State tution and Out of State Tution. There are need based scholarships and there are merit based scholarships.
  • Even a millionnaire's kids get some scholarships and/or loans. In this country, only about 2% of the students education is 100% financed by the parents.
  • You think you have high income? Wait till you have a couple of teenage kids and a Mortgage.
  • You want to talk about FAFSA for H1/L1, you are welcome to open a separate thread. You can also open a thread saying H1/L1 should be given a GC on landing in this country, no one is stopping you.

Now, to the rest of the IV members, let me reiterate what I said earlier.

State of Minnesota passed the Dream Act after a long struggle by the undocumented activists, and here is what the Dream Act does:
What the passage of the Minnesota Prosperity (Dream) Act means | MinnPost
It provides undocumented students who are already here, who have successfully completed high school, and who want to go on to higher education, with access to the same in-state tuition and financial aid that all other Minnesota high-school students have.

But, a person with AOS status will not eligible for the In-State Tution, and he will not be eligible for any Aid or loans. How is it possible to pay the full tution? First of all, how fair it is to exclude the legal immigrants, when the undocumented are being given the benefits.

There is also a talk of passing the Dream Act in washington. But as usual, no one is talking about the kids of legal immigrants.

I sincerely urge IV to take a step forward on this. I personally know lot of parents, many of them single income families, who are facing severe hardships because of no assistance to their kids education.

If the application for FAFSA is not accepted, one can not get any student loan.
The FAFSA rules cover the Refugees, Asylees, Parolees etc. When they created the rules, probably they hadn't foreseen these cases where EB immigrants wait for a decade and more for the GC. That's the reason there is no clarity as to the I-485 applicants, and that's the reason FAFSA is not approving the I-485 applicants consistently.

This is not a tall task for IV, and it does not require any change to the FAFSA rules. They only need to offer clarity. When we use the AP and enter the country we have become a parolee as I mentioned in initial post. But why the I-94 needs to be valid when there is no change in the status.

I once again request IV to look into this. Other parents who are in similar situation, please post your valuable comments.

There are so many politicians and activists fighting for the education rights of the undocumented kids. But who is fighting for the rights of legal immigrant kids?

Old 08-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swats78 View Post
"waitingnwaiting " It would have been better if you had kept your thoughts to yourself instead of sharing with rest of the world. Wisdom lies in not commenting on something you know nothing of.
Lawyer? Class action suit?

Here are some more facts for you:
  • The cost involved in studying an undergarduate degree is around $200K. Then if one has to study medcine, that will be another $250K.
  • There are no discounts(please) . There are Scholarships, Grants, Pell Grants, PLUS loans, Subsidized Loans, Unsubsidized Loans. There is also In-State tution and Out of State Tution. There are need based scholarships and there are merit based scholarships.
  • Even a millionnaire's kids get some scholarships and/or loans. In this country, only about 2% of the students education is 100% financed by the parents.
  • You think you have high income? Wait till you have a couple of teenage kids and a Mortgage.
  • You want to talk about FAFSA for H1/L1, you are welcome to open a separate thread. You can also open a thread saying H1/L1 should be given a GC on landing in this country, no one is stopping you.
With such arrogance I doubt anyone will listen to you in Washington. I asked you the question that anyone will ask who does not know much about this. In Washington, you are going to hear the same questions. When I went for advocacy day with a couple of people from my state to one meeting, the person did not even know the difference between H1B and Greencard. And you are asking benefit to only be given to people who are only on I485 excluding people who have filed I140, Labor, H1, L1.

Your other argument that you should get discount because illegals are getting will fail terribly. In this country lawmakers and laws favor underprivileged sections of the society and illegals are underprivileged. How are we under privileged is what I asked you and you did not have any arguments other then saying we pay taxes and why help is given to illegals and not legals?

The big point is at one side we are going and telling Congress we want to start Google and Microsoft or the world, we are best and the brightest, inventors, doctors etc and on the other side you are proposing we go and say we cannot afford our children education and so out of the entire legal immigrant population, please give discount only to people who have filed I1485 because you belong to it.

I am myself a legal immigrant and know we people have lot of problems for not having green card. You need better reasons to convince anyone is all I was saying.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Well, I answered each of your questions point by point, and that is "Arrogance" in your opinion. Ok, this is a free country, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

But please, you have to stop using the word "discount". This issue is definitely not about any "discounts".

Let me try to say again in the interest of this topic, whatever I said before.

1. We need not be underprivileged to get the Merit based scholarships or Student Loans. Even Bill Gates kids get the scholarships. There are need based scholarsips for families. We the legal immigrants may or may not qualify for those. It depends on individuals. Not everybody makes a $100K, not everyone has a startup.

2. Are you OK with the undocumented immigrants getting the Green Cards under CIR because they are underprivileged, if they leave out the EB immigrants?

3. There is no washington involved here, there is no need for new bill in congress for this to happen. There is no need to for any change to the FAFSA rules. The rules are already there that cover the Parolee, and as I explained the I-485 applicants come under that definition. But FAFSA need to clarify those rules, and how they apply to I-485 applicants. That's all.

4. IV can take this up with FAFSA, and can get it done without too much effort IMO, and this will mean a lot to the younger generation.

5. H1/L1/B1/F1 are all clearly excluded from FAFSA. But the I-485 applicants are not excluded. The clarity is what is missing with respect to the I-485 applicants. And this Clarity is what we seek.

Let me know if you have any other questions/concerns.

advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Well, I answered each of your questions point by point, and that is "Arrogance" in your opinion. Ok, this is a free country, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

But please, you have to stop using the word "discount". This issue is definitely not about any "discounts".

Let me try to say again in the interest of this topic, whatever I said before.

1. We need not be underprivileged to get the Merit based scholarships or Student Loans. Even Bill Gates kids get the scholarships. There are need based scholarsips for families. We the legal immigrants may or may not qualify for those. It depends on individuals. Not everybody makes a $100K, not everyone has a startup.

2. Are you OK with the undocumented immigrants getting the Green Cards under CIR because they are underprivileged, if they leave out the EB immigrants?

3. There is no washington involved here, there is no need for new bill in congress for this to happen. There is no need to for any change to the FAFSA rules. The rules are already there that cover the Parolee, and as I explained the I-485 applicants come under that definition. But FAFSA need to clarify those rules, and how they apply to I-485 applicants. That's all.

4. IV can take this up with FAFSA, and can get it done without too much effort IMO, and this will mean a lot to the younger generation.

5. H1/L1/B1/F1 are all clearly excluded from FAFSA. But the I-485 applicants are not excluded. The clarity is what is missing with respect to the I-485 applicants. And this Clarity is what we seek.

Let me know if you have any other questions/concerns.
So you are saying, those who need scholarship are not best and the brightest families wanting to immigrate? Because they do not earn well like others? What I am trying to say is we should not be asking for handouts from the government. These scholarships are meant for US citizens and Greencard holder kids. What you are asking is a privilege given to people who have not become citizens. Do you know these scholarships are competitive. It is basically saying, we immigrants want to also compete with these scholarships and take it away. This is how an American will look at what you are asking.

It is the same as what we are asking in a sense. We are asking for more greencard. An American sees us as taking jobs. This is why even though our list of what we want has so many simple things we are not able to get it. Can you see now what you are asking is so difficult. If it is so easy as you say, why don't you go yourself and get it changed?

I am ok with undocumented children getting greencards. They are underprivileged, they have more political backing and they suffer more than us. We sit in air conditioned offices, live a luxurious life while undocumented work hard for a very low salary and bad treatment. It is a humanitarian issue. US laws recognize such hardship in spirit that and this is why you have thousands of people applying each year in asylum greencard.

Why don't you go and talk to FAFSA and get clarification if it is so simple? Why do you need an organization get distracted from a very important thing like CIR and worry about 1 or 2 member problems.

Even if IV agrees to do it for example, don't you think many others will object. What about people on H1, L1 visa, people on I140 or Labor stage? They may also want to be included in it since they are members of IV? If IV is doing for I485, it should try and get everyone included. After all we are paying taxes and are here legally for many years.

I am raising all these questions because it seems a distraction to me. The root cause of the problem is not getting greencard for us. If we had greencard all these problems , driver license problem, bank loan problem, H4 work permit issue etc will all go away. We should be focusing on the root instead of small personal issues of individuals.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Another argument is that Indian Government, and Indian banks also gives scholarship/loans for Indian Citizens to study in USA. People on I485 are allowed to apply and get these but US citizens are not allowed to get these loans. So what we are asking is an unfair advantage. Remember the H4 work permit law in CIR. They are not allowing H4 to work because Indian government does not allow in its country.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
unluckydude has a reputation beyond repute unluckydude has a reputation beyond repute unluckydude has a reputation beyond repute unluckydude has a reputation beyond repute unluckydude has a reputation beyond repute unluckydude has a reputation beyond repute unluckydude has a reputation beyond repute unluckydude has a reputation beyond repute unluckydude has a reputation beyond repute unluckydude has a reputation beyond repute unluckydude has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingnwaiting View Post
So you are saying, those who need scholarship are not best and the brightest families wanting to immigrate? Because they do not earn well like others? What I am trying to say is we should not be asking for handouts from the government. These scholarships are meant for US citizens and Greencard holder kids. What you are asking is a privilege given to people who have not become citizens. Do you know these scholarships are competitive. It is basically saying, we immigrants want to also compete with these scholarships and take it away. This is how an American will look at what you are asking.

It is the same as what we are asking in a sense. We are asking for more greencard. An American sees us as taking jobs. This is why even though our list of what we want has so many simple things we are not able to get it. Can you see now what you are asking is so difficult. If it is so easy as you say, why don't you go yourself and get it changed?

I am ok with undocumented children getting greencards. They are underprivileged, they have more political backing and they suffer more than us. We sit in air conditioned offices, live a luxurious life while undocumented work hard for a very low salary and bad treatment. It is a humanitarian issue. US laws recognize such hardship in spirit that and this is why you have thousands of people applying each year in asylum greencard.

Why don't you go and talk to FAFSA and get clarification if it is so simple? Why do you need an organization get distracted from a very important thing like CIR and worry about 1 or 2 member problems.

Even if IV agrees to do it for example, don't you think many others will object. What about people on H1, L1 visa, people on I140 or Labor stage? They may also want to be included in it since they are members of IV? If IV is doing for I485, it should try and get everyone included. After all we are paying taxes and are here legally for many years.

I am raising all these questions because it seems a distraction to me. The root cause of the problem is not getting greencard for us. If we had greencard all these problems , driver license problem, bank loan problem, H4 work permit issue etc will all go away. We should be focusing on the root instead of small personal issues of individuals.

"waitingnwaiting"..........S.T.F.U.

I think you don't have kids that are ready to go to college or you never heard of this issue before. So, just STFU and go to some other thread and talk about your "knowledge" on Immigration matters.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
AnnaRamdev has much to be proud of AnnaRamdev has much to be proud of AnnaRamdev has much to be proud of AnnaRamdev has much to be proud of AnnaRamdev has much to be proud of AnnaRamdev has much to be proud of AnnaRamdev has much to be proud of AnnaRamdev has much to be proud of AnnaRamdev has much to be proud of AnnaRamdev has much to be proud of
Default not an expert

Quote:

waitingnwaiting......
I completely agree with you what you saying that in long run theses small issues may hurt real issue/distraction.
but my friend if its a admin fix and if its doable whats wrong with it?
and why should he go by himself to get it fixed?
we finally have a platform called IV which brings us all togather. for our problems.
no wonder why other communities have powerful backing not us bcoz we desisi never agree with each other..look what is happening to our country back home...and who is responsible more then anyone is us..you and me and everybody
I don't even know what is fafsa but I think if we can help someone we should

Old 08-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluckydude View Post

I think you don't have kids that are ready to go to college or you never heard of this issue before. So, just STFU and go to some other thread and talk about your "knowledge" on Immigration matters.
Is that how you talk to colleagues in your office when you disagree with them?

What a disgrace you are to the country you came from! Nobody gave you good education and values. Did you come to US through some middleman giving him money?

advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Is that how you talk to colleagues in your office when you disagree with them?

What a disgrace you are to the country you came from! Nobody gave you good education and values. Did you come to US through some middleman giving him money?
Can you please keep off from this thread, as I see you don't have anything meaningful to contribute to the topic? Please!!!

Old 08-16-2013, 08:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Compare
Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Totally Crazy Rule

Quote:
With the current backlogs especially for EB3, there are a few thousand I-485 dependent applicants applying to colleges every year. Being a parent of one who is getting ready for college, I am realizing how antiquated the FAFSA rules are, and how unhelpful or frustrating the FAFSA process is.
There is so much clamour for the Dream Act etc to give an opportunity for the undocumented youth to pursue their education. But what about our kids, who are here legally? In many states despite being Tax paying residents for a number of years, we are not even eligible for In-state tution fees. Paying Out of State tution is really atrocious. But many of these Universities have their own sets of rules, it is nearly impossible for the IV to make any change to these rules.
However, if the I-485 applicants are allowed to apply to FAFSA, the State universities get their info from FAFSA, so the students will be entitled to atleast some state aid and scholarships.
Would IV please take up with FAFSA and ask them to clarify the rules on "Eligible Non-Citizens" and include the I-485 applicants specifically.

This is what the FAFSA has to say about eligible Non-Citizens:

If you fall in one of the categories below, you are considered an “eligible noncitizen.”

1. You are a
U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swains Island) or
U.S. permanent resident with a Form I-551, I-151, or I-551C (Permanent Resident Card, Resident Alien Card, or Alien Registration Receipt Card), also known as a green card.
2. You have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing

“Refugee,”
“Asylum Granted,”
“Cuban-Haitian Entrant (Status Pending),”
“Conditional Entrant” (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980), or
“Parolee” (you must be paroled for at least one year, and you must be able to provide evidence from the USCIS that you are not in the United States for a temporary purpose and that you intend to become a U.S. citizen or permanent resident).

And the fsahandbook on page 1-33 says the following:
http://ifap.ed.gov/fsahandbook/attac...HbkVol1Ch2.pdf

5. “Alien paroled into the United States pursuant to Section 212(d) (5) of the INA ...” The student is eligible for aid if paroled into the U.S. for one year or more the corresponding subsidiary box must be checked) and if he has evidence from the DHS (such as having filed a valid permanent resident application) that he is in the U.S. for other than a temporary purpose and intends to become a citizen or permanent resident. The new G-845 form that USCIS will issue in 2011 (mentioned in the margin note on page 31) has date fields for the start and end of the parole period. If, for example, the start date were September 22, 2011, and the end date were September 21, 2012, the parole period would be for one year.

THis is what the USCIS web site says about the Advance Parole:
Chapter 54 Advance Parole Documents and Boarding Letters.

There is no separate statutory authority for advance parole. Rather, the use of advance parole is an outgrowth of administrative practice stemming from the general parole authority at section 212(d)(5) of the Act, and is now incorporated into regulation. The practice of authorization of advance parole has also been recognized by Federal courts.

But what confuses me is what the FAFSA Handbook says on 1-27:

Their documentation must have a stamp indicating that the student has been paroled into the United States for at least one year, with a date that has not expired. (Federal Student Aid cannot be disbursed after the document has expired.)

The I-94 is bound to expire in a year anyway. Then what?

There are several other questions here. What I learnt after going to several forums and after corresponding with FAFSA is, the applications by I-485 applicants are either rejected or accepted randomly. This is because FAFSA is not sure or ignorant of our status i.e. AOS. Based on what I said above, we can be covered under Parolee. But even with an unexpired I-94, FAFSA asks you to contact the University where you are admitted, and they simply say you are not an "Eligible Non-Citizen", so you are entitled to any Aid/scholarships.

When the FAFSA is saying "Parolee" is an eligible citizen, they need to offer more clarity and include I-485 applicants unconditionally.

I urge IV to take the initiative on this as it will help a large number of kids. I understand there are other priority matters for IV, but taking up this issue with FAFSA on behalf of IV will in no way dilute the ongoing action items. It will really mean a lot for the younger generation.
I am in the same situation.Sent e-mail to our Company Attorney.Waiting for reply.
I don’t understand their (not just FAFSA many universities) intention of I-94 requirement for non-citizens With an I-485 AOS application filed and pending ,who can remain in the US as an adjustment applicant even after the I-94 expires with an intention to become a permanent resident.
As it is a well known fact that unless a person who has a valid approved I-512L crosses the USA border and re-enters USA , he or she will not get an I-94 record showing "Parolee." So unless a person travels outside the US and reenters (and acquiring unnecessary expenses doing so),they will not have a stamp indicating that they are a parolee on their I-94. As such, it does not make sense to make the I-94 the lone acceptable form of verification for "Parolee" by universities or FAFSA.In fact I noticed at DHS URL
11.25.25 Other Lawfully Present Noncitizens
that there are other acceptable forms of verification for parole including:
1.I-94 (Arrival/Departure Card) with a stamp displaying a grant of parole.
2.Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, or receipt from USCIS indicating filing of application.
3.Employment Authorization Document
4.Form I-512 Parole Authorization .
Any thoughts by IV gurus why I-94 record with Parolee is so important for these guys.
Is there a way to tackle this so that FAFSA or universities will consider other forms of acceptable verification for Parolee as approved by DHS/USCIS.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:48 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/21/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Can you please keep off from this thread, as I see you don't have anything meaningful to contribute to the topic? Please!!!
Hi Swats78
Frankly speaking this no way to get people involved for your cause. Anyways who is IV....it's you and me and other people like us. So if you believe that this is something the rest of the community should be involved in then show leadership on the issue and gather like minded people, talk to lawmakers, donate time, money etc. But just coming here and posting out of nowhere that it's IV is supposed to take up some cause that majority of members are not even aware of and getting into arguments with people who tend to disagree with you will not serve your position.

Anyways above is just my opinion and now I will just get off this thread and leave you to it. Best of luck in your cause and again remember when you say IV it's not some huge corporation. It's people like you and me.

Regards and have a good weekend.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Compare
Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Well said unluckydude

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluckydude View Post

Thanks unluckydude for requesting waitingnwaiting in a nice way.
This problem can be understood by only people without Green Card with having High School kids Juniors or Seniors or college going. swats78 may be emotional.But please don't make comments without knowing his/her problem.Here in US every one (may be who became US citizens) has one or other problem.If you knew ,suggest some thing.The one she/he posted is really an issue as people have to go out of US and re-enter for getting parolee on I-94 with AP where as there are other acceptable forms for Parolee as approved by DHS/USCIS. I have posted in my other post.Since I am also in a similar situation I understood emotions of swats78 fully.
Definitely some of experienced members of IV might have known the exact reason why parolee on I-94 is being asked.I request anyone who has an answer for this,please do post here.It would be great help for members who filed I-485 AOS pending and having High School kids especially Juniors and Seniors.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/20/2007
Compare
a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute

CA and TX started offering in-state tuition only after someone on H-4 sued the university systems in court and won.

Similarly, this case will likely be faster served via legal means. It wouldn't hurt to consult a lawyer (I'd recommend Khanna), who can explain the options available. In the best case, the FAFSA office is making a honest mistake, and they'll change the policy once the lawyer reaches out on your behalf.