Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2007, 11:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2005
Compare
ivofindia is an unknown quantity at this point

River Front Harrisburg branch
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/12/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
memyselfandus has a reputation beyond repute memyselfandus has a reputation beyond repute memyselfandus has a reputation beyond repute memyselfandus has a reputation beyond repute memyselfandus has a reputation beyond repute memyselfandus has a reputation beyond repute memyselfandus has a reputation beyond repute memyselfandus has a reputation beyond repute memyselfandus has a reputation beyond repute memyselfandus has a reputation beyond repute memyselfandus has a reputation beyond repute
Default For PA it is very straightforward no documents needed...!!!

The best thing about PA is through online.

Visit the below link
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/driverLic...mercials.shtml

and click on renew online. Here you have to enter your details and pay through credit card. You will receive the confirmation letter (DL60A/DL60R) through regular mail with in 10 days. Take the letter and go to the DMV for photograph.

The photograph folks don't ask any immigration documents, just the SSN original card. That's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimrathi View Post
I'm in the same boat. PA DoT wants to see visa stamp on the passport.. applied for 1st 3 year extn at VSC on 7/10, will up it to PP this week... anyone in PA got their DL renewed using RN... please specify how and where??

There are no strangers but friends waiting to be meet.

Labor : EB3 PD Sept. 2004
I-485 July 2nd Filed - WACXXXX - Case Transferred to NSC.
Moved EB3 to EB2 around Mid of May 2013
Green in August 2013.

Last edited by memyselfandus; 08-27-2007 at 09:58 AM.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
saimrathi is on a distinguished road

I beg to differ.. My PA DL is based on my Work Visa, hence it expires on the day my visa expires.. I tried to renew online and the system said since you are not a citizen u have to go to the DL Center for a renewal... Maybe your DL is from the time you were student or otherwise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfandus View Post
The best thing about PA is through online.

Visit the below link
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/driverLic...mercials.shtml

and click on renew online. Here you have to enter your details and pay through credit card. You will receive the confirmation letter (DL60A/DL60R) through regular mail with in 10 days. Take the letter and go to the DMV for photograph.

The photograph folks don't ask any immigration documents, just the SSN original card. That's it.
RD: 9/4/07
SC: TSC
I-140 Approved 08/16/2008
PD: Mar 2005 (EB 2 India)

Contributions:
1. Sent Letters to Area Representatives and Senators.
2. Sent Letters to news media.
3. Sent Thank You cards.
4. $100 Order Details - Aug 10, 2007 3:13 PM EDT Google Order #462077719238648
5. Sponsored $100 for a person (Sachin B from FL) to go to DC.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
msandhu is on a distinguished road

I agree with you. PenDot does not give online extension for non-immigrants(if it was mentioned originally that you are foreigner when you first got your license). Also they extend visa for H1 only after you get approved extension letter in hand. They do not accept receipt notice. I think they accept i-485 receipt notice to extend you Driving license though.

Last edited by msandhu; 08-27-2007 at 11:33 AM.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
saimrathi is on a distinguished road

You mean extend DL when you have H1 Extension approval notice...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msandhu View Post
I agree with you. PenDot does not give online extension for non-immigrants. Also they extend visa for H1 only after you get extension letter in hand. They do not accept receipt notice.
RD: 9/4/07
SC: TSC
I-140 Approved 08/16/2008
PD: Mar 2005 (EB 2 India)

Contributions:
1. Sent Letters to Area Representatives and Senators.
2. Sent Letters to news media.
3. Sent Thank You cards.
4. $100 Order Details - Aug 10, 2007 3:13 PM EDT Google Order #462077719238648
5. Sponsored $100 for a person (Sachin B from FL) to go to DC.

advertisement

Old 08-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/20/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
rbkrao is a glorious beacon of light rbkrao is a glorious beacon of light rbkrao is a glorious beacon of light rbkrao is a glorious beacon of light rbkrao is a glorious beacon of light rbkrao is a glorious beacon of light
Default In the same boat but got the extn

Hi,
I am in the same boat my DL will expire on sept 30th. went to Hackensack/Lodi DMV. They extended till Jan 10th 08.

Best thing is do not depend on one DMV. try different places. in some DMVs the officers are not aware of our situation.

good luck
Bala

Old 08-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/26/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Compare
small2006 has a spectacular aura about small2006 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by plassey View Post
And they say why Albert Pinto "Plassey" is an angry man?

My current H1 is expiring soon. My 3 year H1 extension is pending. I had receipt notice but NJ DMV at Wayne refused to accept that. My current License is valid only till the middle of the next month.
Any body in the same boat? What shall I do?
Try Trenton.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
gc4sk is on a distinguished road

Hi rbkrao,
Did you show them original receipt notice or photo copy? Was there problem in getting the renewal?

Thanks,
gc4sk

Old 08-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of summitpointe has much to be proud of
Thumbs up PA/NJ licence

PA,

If you go for reneval you should have atleast one year validity in your I-94. Other wise they may not extend.

NJ,

You can get 90 days extn by explaining the situation

Old 08-27-2007, 02:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default Most states

Quote:
Originally Posted by plassey View Post
And they say why Albert Pinto "Plassey" is an angry man?

My current H1 is expiring soon. My 3 year H1 extension is pending. I had receipt notice but NJ DMV at Wayne refused to accept that. My current License is valid only till the middle of the next month.
Any body in the same boat? What shall I do?

A growing number of states now refuse to issue driver's license beyond the validity of I-94. that means that until your H1 extension is approved, you wont get it, because the new I-94 with new dates will come only after your extension is approved.

Now, in Arizona, they accept receipt of H1. In Nevada they dont. Other states have other rules. I know only about these 2.

You can upgrade your H1 to premium filling out a form and it will get approved in 7-10 days. Your employer should bear the expense of premium filing because the employer procrastinate and delay filing of extensions even though its possible to file extension 6 months ahead of expiration date. That procrastination should cost the employer or the lawyer, whoever caused the delay.

You cant blame DMVs for asking for latest I-94. That is the only way they can make sure they are not issuing driver's license to those who overstayed their visas and became illegals. The blame here lies at the feet of employers and lawyers who delay filing extension till the last moment. USCIS gives H1 extension in usually 3-4 months. If everyone filed 6 months ahead of expiry, there is no problem.

Sometimes the government does all it can, and it is possible to avoid all pain if right things are done. But people never easily admit their own mistakes of procrastination and then blame USCIS. USCIS and DMVs of states are totally ok on this issue, in my opinion.

advertisement

Old 08-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Compare
gemini23 is on a distinguished road

my friends licence has been invalid for about 2 months now. now he got the H1 extension approval he is waiting for. can he get his DL extension just by showing the h1 extension. or does he have to give the road test again. He lives in NJ.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2012
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
deecha is on a distinguished road
Default Renew by mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingForMyGC View Post
In Michigan they don't even look at your visa to renew your license.
I got my license renewed for another 4 years by mail, in Michigan. No questions asked. Good till 2011. Go Michigan ...

Old 08-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
makemygc has a reputation beyond repute makemygc has a reputation beyond repute makemygc has a reputation beyond repute makemygc has a reputation beyond repute makemygc has a reputation beyond repute makemygc has a reputation beyond repute makemygc has a reputation beyond repute makemygc has a reputation beyond repute makemygc has a reputation beyond repute makemygc has a reputation beyond repute makemygc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclife View Post
A growing number of states now refuse to issue driver's license beyond the validity of I-94. that means that until your H1 extension is approved, you wont get it, because the new I-94 with new dates will come only after your extension is approved.

Now, in Arizona, they accept receipt of H1. In Nevada they dont. Other states have other rules. I know only about these 2.

You can upgrade your H1 to premium filling out a form and it will get approved in 7-10 days. Your employer should bear the expense of premium filing because the employer procrastinate and delay filing of extensions even though its possible to file extension 6 months ahead of expiration date. That procrastination should cost the employer or the lawyer, whoever caused the delay.

You cant blame DMVs for asking for latest I-94. That is the only way they can make sure they are not issuing driver's license to those who overstayed their visas and became illegals. The blame here lies at the feet of employers and lawyers who delay filing extension till the last moment. USCIS gives H1 extension in usually 3-4 months. If everyone filed 6 months ahead of expiry, there is no problem.

Sometimes the government does all it can, and it is possible to avoid all pain if right things are done. But people never easily admit their own mistakes of procrastination and then blame USCIS. USCIS and DMVs of states are totally ok on this issue, in my opinion.
What if DMV refuses to renew the license if I-94/H1 is extended for 1 year (mostly in the case of H1 extension beyond 6th year) but is not stamped on your passport. This happened with me. DMV officer insisted on visa stamped on my passport and he was not ready to accept the I-797 form which I was showing. Finally, I've to go to other DMV and count on my luck to get my license renewed.
This is a as much a problem with DMV as a problem with employees. I did not 100% agreed with your comments that it's a problem with an employer. Now a days even filing 6 months prior to expiration is not guranteed to give you a timely approval.
In Florida, no matter if you have 1 yr or 3yrs I-94/Visa, they only issue you a license for 1 year. Period. Florida..anyway sucks.

Also, can someone tell me, once you get an EAD, can we use that to get the license renewal?
LUD - 06/02/2011
CPO Email - 6/2/20111
Cards Received - 6/9/2011

Finally maDemygc

Old 08-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Compare
gemini23 is on a distinguished road
Default hi

makemygc, i think you got a bad dmv officer who did not know anything about 797. When I was in FL i renewed my DL many times showing 797.
Did not have any issues.

and yes, EAD can be used to renew DL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makemygc View Post
What if DMV refuses to renew the license if I-94/H1 is extended for 1 year (mostly in the case of H1 extension beyond 6th year) but is not stamped on your passport. This happened with me. DMV officer insisted on visa stamped on my passport and he was not ready to accept the I-797 form which I was showing. Finally, I've to go to other DMV and count on my luck to get my license renewed.
This is a as much a problem with DMV as a problem with employees. I did not 100% agreed with your comments that it's a problem with an employer. Now a days even filing 6 months prior to expiration is not guranteed to give you a timely approval.
In Florida, no matter if you have 1 yr or 3yrs I-94/Visa, they only issue you a license for 1 year. Period. Florida..anyway sucks.

Also, can someone tell me, once you get an EAD, can we use that to get the license renewal?

Old 08-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by makemygc View Post

Yes, I agree with you. Asking for valid visa stamp is too much, the latest I-797 and latest valid I-94 should be enough to get driver's license, because latest valid I-94 proves that you are legal and that's enough. Passport stamp is not neccesary to prove legal status.

The sad part is that employers should get involved with state legislature and state regulators, DMV etc to make sure their foriegn workers have ability to get driver's license based on approved I-797. Its a mess.