Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold
Default H4 visa stamping in New Delhi

My wife went for H4 visa stamping in New Delhi embassy yesterday. The visa officer asked her a couple of questions, then asked for my I797 approval notice. He kept the passport and the approval notice and said they will mail the passport with visa.

Do they mail the I797 back with passport? I need the original approval notice for travel and my documentation. Has anyone been through this? Is there a way to follow up with the embassy to get it back? If they lose the document that will be a serious problem.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2006, 01:38 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/21/2007
Compare
hariswaminathan has much to be proud of hariswaminathan has much to be proud of hariswaminathan has much to be proud of hariswaminathan has much to be proud of hariswaminathan has much to be proud of hariswaminathan has much to be proud of hariswaminathan has much to be proud of hariswaminathan has much to be proud of hariswaminathan has much to be proud of hariswaminathan has much to be proud of
Default my experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by somegchuh
My wife went for H4 visa stamping in New Delhi embassy yesterday. The visa officer asked her a couple of questions, then asked for my I797 approval notice. He kept the passport and the approval notice and said they will mail the passport with visa.

Do they mail the I797 back with passport? I need the original approval notice for travel and my documentation. Has anyone been through this? Is there a way to follow up with the embassy to get it back? If they lose the document that will be a serious problem.
My wife had her visa stamped in Bombay consulate - and during the interview they asked to see the I797 - but i had instructed her to ask for it back and she specifically asked the officer if she could have it back because I needed it - and he promptly gave it.
maybe Delhi Consulate works differently. Hopefully they will mail you back the 797 notice with the passport.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariswaminathan
My wife had her visa stamped in Bombay consulate - and during the interview they asked to see the I797 - but i had instructed her to ask for it back and she specifically asked the officer if she could have it back because I needed it - and he promptly gave it.
maybe Delhi Consulate works differently. Hopefully they will mail you back the 797 notice with the passport.
My wife went for stamping in 08/2003 and I just gave her the copy of the I797 approval notice, so I didnt have to worry about getting back the original. I think they gave back the copy too, so why are you sending original 797 for H4 stamping, it is not a required document I think.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold

I hope they mail it back because that's something I definitely need. I didn't know they will look at my I797. I wish I had known this before my wife went for visa stamping. There's alway a new kink, isn't it :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariswaminathan

Old 10-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/20/2003
Compare
arnet has a reputation beyond repute arnet has a reputation beyond repute arnet has a reputation beyond repute arnet has a reputation beyond repute arnet has a reputation beyond repute arnet has a reputation beyond repute arnet has a reputation beyond repute arnet has a reputation beyond repute arnet has a reputation beyond repute arnet has a reputation beyond repute arnet has a reputation beyond repute
Default returned through courier

our experience:

they will mail back those.

my wife went to delhi consulate in sep 06 (i didnt go), and they took all reqd docs including our I-797s original, and when they sent stamped passport through courier, they returned all documents with passport including I-797s.

I dont think they took any document except fees receipt, ds-156/157, it was suprising to us not even the xerox copies of reqd docs like w-2's,marriage ceritificate, etc. i think, might be, they just want to verify and once they did that, they are returning it.

it took 3 days after interview date to get the stamped passport and documents through courier.

If any delay or problem in getting those documents/passport after 3-4days, contact VFS at delhi. I think you can track through SMS too.

Quote:
I hope they mail it back because that's something I definitely need. I didn't know they will look at my I797. I wish I had known this before my wife went for visa stamping. There's alway a new kink, isn't it :-)

advertisement

Old 10-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05-15-2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05-18-2006
Compare
mihird is on a distinguished road
Default My wife just got her H1 stamped in Delhi last week..

They took her original 797 approval notice away....it did confuse her and also me.

She just got her stamped passport back in courier yesterday, but there was no 797 with it.

Should we contact the consulate for it?

Old 10-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/20/2003
Compare
arnet has a reputation beyond repute arnet has a reputation beyond repute arnet has a reputation beyond repute arnet has a reputation beyond repute arnet has a reputation beyond repute arnet has a reputation beyond repute arnet has a reputation beyond repute arnet has a reputation beyond repute arnet has a reputation beyond repute arnet has a reputation beyond repute arnet has a reputation beyond repute

Original I-797s should be with us, they can have copy but not original, call VFS where your wife attended interview and enquire why they took it and request them to return it.

if they say they dont have it, I think no need to worry since your wife has already got stamped, and if anybody asks for her I-797, she can show xerox copy of her I-797.

Otherwise if you think you need original I-797, I think you can apply for duplicate copies from USCIS, they will charge some fee for extra copies, check with USCIS or your attroney who filed your H1 & her H4 for the procedure.

Diclaimer: I'm not an immigration attroney, so please consult one for your situation, as laws/procedures are changing often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihird
They took her original 797 approval notice away....it did confuse her and also me.

She just got her stamped passport back in courier yesterday, but there was no 797 with it.

Should we contact the consulate for it?

Old 10-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

arnet,
So they took the original I 797 after the itnerview and mailed it back with the passport?

Mihrid,

they should have returned your wife's I797. If she's still in India she can call VFS and follow up to get it. It is important that she gets back the original 797. Sometimes they ask for it at the airport when you land. My wife was asked for it once.

I am asking my wife to call both embassy and VFS to get I797 back. Here's the contact info I have been able to find

Have a question about your NIV application? Contact the NIV unit by the following methods:
Phone: (011-91-11) 2419-8310 from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
E-mail: nivnd@state.gov
Fax: (011-91-11) 2419-8407

Want to contact VFS? Please use the following methods:

VFS Helpline (Excluding Punjab): 011-4222-0000
VFS Helpline (Punjab): 0181-504-1444
E-mail: infodelhi@vfs-usa.co.in
VFS’ agents respond to phone calls from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except on Indian holidays observed by U.S. missions. E-mailed inquiries are responded to Monday through Friday, within two working days.

If you are calling from outside India, please call VFS at 011-91-44-4231-6767.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnet
our experience:

they will mail back those.

my wife went to delhi consulate in sep 06 (i didnt go), and they took all reqd docs including our I-797s original, and when they sent stamped passport through courier, they returned all documents with passport including I-797s.

I dont think they took any document except fees receipt, ds-156/157, it was suprising to us not even the xerox copies of reqd docs like w-2's,marriage ceritificate, etc. i think, might be, they just want to verify and once they did that, they are returning it.

it took 3 days after interview date to get the stamped passport and documents through courier.

If any delay or problem in getting those documents/passport after 3-4days, contact VFS at delhi. I think you can track through SMS too.

Last edited by somegchuh; 10-26-2006 at 05:52 PM.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/27/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/22/2007
Compare
bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future bkarnik has a brilliant future

My experience, this is at the Mumbai consulate in 2004. At that time they had the drop box in place. I mailed my documents and they returned everything back with my H1 stamped.

My wife went for her H4 stamping (second stage) in 2005. They asked for all the original documents i.e my I-797 and her I-797 but returned both of the documents back at the end of the interview. I think she had copies with her and they kept those.

Best bet is to contact VFS and inquire.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/10/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/10/2004
Compare
senthil can only hope to improve
Talking in my case --

they wanted to see the originals but copies were enough for submitting. as many of our members have experiances lately - with respective to stamping, its should surey help if we consider their advise's. good luck all.

Last edited by senthil; 10-26-2006 at 06:16 PM.

advertisement

Old 10-27-2006, 09:20 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
masti_Gai is on a distinguished road
Default yes

we need to take all the originals if we have to attend a visa stampin interview.
but for H4 i dont' know coz we will be in US and would it really really be safe to mail our original petition to India we being here.
Mine was a different situation i entered US without my petition papers as i had forgotten them. I realized it only when i switched my company that i didn't have my petition papers with me. I later on got i fedexed by ma parents.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
black_logs is on a distinguished road

Yes they keep the originals and send it back with your passport, atleast they did in my case. I went to consulate in N. Delhi
Quote:
My wife went for H4 visa stamping in New Delhi embassy ...

Old 10-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

My wife called VFS in New Delhi and they said it is normal procedure for them to keep the originals and mail them back with the passport. We will see how it goes.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

just as FYI, they mailed back the original 797 with the passport.