Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
mikemeyers is on a distinguished road
Default Please Advise - What should I do?

My H1 is approved on Oct 23, 2006. I was on F1. Before my OPT grace period expired on July 20, 2006, I enrolled in a school with new I-20 on July 5th, 2006. I have been taking one class every month for last three months to maintain full time status. If I stop taking classes now, would it be a some kind of problem when I go for visa stamping?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dixie will become famous soon enough

If you have maintained status all along, you have nothing to fear.Since you have an approved H1, you are free to stop taking classes now. However, when you go for visa stamping be prepared with all the documents to show that you have maintained status. You will surely have a few tough questions to answer so be prepared to convince the visa officer of your continued legal status.Also, avoid going to a consulate in a third country like Mexico or Canada. In my opinion, for non-standard cases like yours its safer to get it done in your home country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeyers
My H1 is approved on Oct 23, 2006. I was on F1. Before my OPT grace period expired on July 20, 2006, I enrolled in a school with new I-20 on July 5th, 2006. I have been taking one class every month for last three months to maintain full time status. If I stop taking classes now, would it be a some kind of problem when I go for visa stamping?

Old 11-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
CT_Green is on a distinguished road

As long as you have maintained status there is nothing to worry?

I had a question regarding H1 visa stamping. If my I-40 is approved when I am out the the country and I have also to get my visa stamped for H1. Is there a chance of H1 being denied since the 1-40 is already approved. Any insights will be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/30/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
09/30/2005
Compare
vicks_don will become famous soon enough
Default Informing school is a must.

Inform the school that you have changed your status to H1 from F1 and need not take class. If needed provide them the H1 approval. Most people forget to inform school and the school will record sevis violation on you which will provide problems at stamping and port of entry.
This is based on my friends experience.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:16 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Thank you all for replying..so in your opinion first thing i should is to contact school..then wat are my next steps..

advertisement

Old 11-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Can anyone else have opinion on this?

Last edited by mikemeyers; 11-08-2006 at 01:02 PM.

Old 11-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
perm2gc will become famous soon enough perm2gc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
if possible try to complete the course or take CPT ...As of now you are in legal status only but if you dont complete your course..you may have some tough questions to answer when you go for visa stamping.. also try to search in murthy..you will have lot more information.

good luck!!!

Old 11-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Chargeability
:
United Kingdom
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
manderson is just really nice manderson is just really nice manderson is just really nice manderson is just really nice
Default u don't need to go for "visa stamping" to maintain status

Quote:
Can anyone else have opinion on this?

regards,
Mittal Kapdi
u don't need to go for "visa stamping" to maintain status (know that status and visa are different)

notify the school of your change of status like the other guy/gal said. that's all you will need to do keep staying in the US legally.

....But if you want to travel while on H1, then yes: you need to go for "visa stamping".

Old 11-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by perm2gc
if possible try to complete the course or take CPT ...As of now you are in legal status only but if you dont complete your course..you may have some tough questions to answer when you go for visa stamping.. also try to search in murthy..you will have lot more information.

good luck!!!
Thank you for the response, the course is very expensive and I dont have that much money. Its an MBA course and I am in software field there wont be any justifiable CPT I guess..Also, there was an RFE generated during H-1 processing asking for my status in between times. I sent I-20 to the INS and then only my H1 was approved.

What kind of tough questions you think they can ask?? I am very new to all these and do not have much knowlege but only thing i did is try to maintain status legally..is there anything wrong that I did??

Old 11-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dixie will become famous soon enough

The visa officer will quiz you about how long you have been working for your current employer, and what you did before that. If you say you were studying and did not complete the course, expect the officer to get suspicious - ever since 9/11, "students" who dont actually study on an F-1 visa are as a rule viewed with great suspiction. Likewise, at the port of entry when you try to get the I-94 stamped, the officer will look up your SEVIS record and grill you about the reasons for abandoning your course, and whether you were in legal status during the interim.As long as you have all the documents proving everything you say, you should be fine.

Quote:
What kind of tough questions you think they can ask?? I am very new to all these and do not have much knowlege but only thing i did is try to maintain status legally..is there anything wrong that I did??

advertisement

Old 11-07-2006, 07:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
perm2gc will become famous soon enough perm2gc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thank you for the response, the course is very expensive and I dont have that much money. Its an MBA course and I am in software field there wont be any justifiable CPT I guess..Also, there was an RFE generated during H-1 processing asking for my status in between times. I sent I-20 to the INS and then only my H1 was approved.

if you abandon the course..then the VO will know that to maintain status only you have enrolled into the course..then your case may be denied ...Try to talk to your HOD and explain your situation..He/She will guide you ....Try to consult lawyers like murthy or rajiv khanna or try to PM admins if our free lawyer services can help you.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Hey Guys,

I first entered US on F1 and finished my Master's. I have Master's degree from a US University. I only enrolled in this school because I could not defend my thesis in time to apply for graduation so I have to extend it a semester and before visa nos. get over I applied for H1 under regular quota. Hope this help you more to assess my situation. Please share your opinions. I already have a forum on murthy since last two days but I do not see any responses...

Regards...

Old 11-09-2006, 01:20 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

anyone else has any opinion..plz share it...

Old 11-20-2006, 06:19 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Let say, I continue taking classes until i get for visa stamping, how would they know that I am taking classes other than the grades that were posted or transcript.

If i don't take classes anymore, how wud they know I m not taking any classes?