Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2006, 02:37 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
epohwen is on a distinguished road
Default [Please Help] H1-B approved, but no project yet

Hi, this is my first posting. Thank god I found this site.

I had been in US with F-1 status until I got H1-B. My H1-B has been approved 10/25/2006, but my employer couldn't find a project for me yet. Of course, I've never been paid yet. Here are my questions.

1. Is my status legal ? Some posting says that there seems to be 60 days 'bench period', is it right ?

2. If I find another sponsor, can I transfer my H1B without any paid check slips ?

3. What is my best option to stay in US legally ?

Thanks in advance.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2006, 02:49 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dixie will become famous soon enough

There is no such concept as "benching period" defined in H1 law. It is a dishonest practise followed by unscrupulous employers. Strictly speaking, the moment you stop getting paid you are out of status. Your best bet is to find another sponsor and transfer asap. I am not sure they ask for prior pay-stubs during transfer, but they are almost certain to ask for it during visa stamping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by epohwen

I had been in US with F-1 status until I got H1-B. My H1-B has been approved 10/25/2006, but my employer couldn't find a project for me yet. Of course, I've never been paid yet. Here are my questions.

1. Is my status legal ? Some posting says that there seems to be 60 days 'bench period', is it right ?

2. If I find another sponsor, can I transfer my H1B without any paid check slips ?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:02 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie
There is no such concept as "benching period" defined in H1 law. It is a dishonest practise followed by unscrupulous employers. Strictly speaking, the moment you stop getting paid you are out of status. Your best bet is to find another sponsor and transfer asap. I am not sure they ask for prior pay-stubs during transfer, but they are almost certain to ask for it during visa stamping.
Is it ok if my employer finally find a project sooner or later and start to pay me in the near future ?

My concern is that I've read a posting that they asked for at least two prior pay-stubs during transfer. Is there anyone who have successfully transfered without pay-stubs ?

Thanks.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:11 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
perm2gc will become famous soon enough perm2gc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Is it ok if my employer finally find a project sooner or later and start to pay me in the near future ?

My concern is that I've read a posting that they asked for at least two prior pay-stubs during transfer. Is there anyone who have successfully transfered without pay-stubs ?

Thanks.
All most all the cases of H1B transfer are required alteast 3 months pay slips for the transfer.Even if you dont submit,they will send you a RFE asking for paystubs.Your best bet is to find a job with different employer and explain him your situation.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:12 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by perm2gc
All most all the cases of H1B transfer are required alteast 3 months pay slips for the transfer.Even if you dont submit,they will send you a RFE asking for paystubs.Your best bet is to find a job with different employer and explain him your situation.
So do I have to work at least three months before I transfer ? Then, technically it is impossible to transfer without paystubs, doesn't it ?

advertisement

Old 12-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/20/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
09/20/2007
Compare
srikondoji is a glorious beacon of light srikondoji is a glorious beacon of light srikondoji is a glorious beacon of light srikondoji is a glorious beacon of light srikondoji is a glorious beacon of light
Arrow Here is the info from USCIS official

Quote:

Thanks.
You can do H1-B transfer as soon as you get your H1-B approved without SSN, pay stubs. This is tricky though.

YOu should initiate this transfer before you are entered in a pay roll at the existing employer and to be on the safe side within the first month of your H1-B approval.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
abcdefgh is on a distinguished road
Default opt

Opt Is The Way To Go. Though You Can APPLY FOR Opt Until Two Months(60 DAYS) After Your Graduation. If You Are Gradtated More Than Two Months Ago You Can Not Apply For Opt.

Other Option, If You Really Want To Get Opt And You Are Graduated Before More Than 60 Days, My Suggestion Would Be To Get An Admission Again And Then Reapply For Opt After Nine Months.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
perm2gc will become famous soon enough perm2gc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So do I have to work at least three months before I transfer ? Then, technically it is impossible to transfer without paystubs, doesn't it ?
You can always apply for H1B transfer but the problem comes when you get a RFE notice regarding paystubs.You talk to other consulting companies and sure you will find a way.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
2007-05-23
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
2007-07-02
Compare
nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefgh
Opt Is The Way To Go. Though You Can APPLY FOR Opt Until Two Months(60 DAYS) After Your Graduation. If You Are Gradtated More Than Two Months Ago You Can Not Apply For Opt.

Other Option, If You Really Want To Get Opt And You Are Graduated Before More Than 60 Days, My Suggestion Would Be To Get An Admission Again And Then Reapply For Opt After Nine Months.
Bud,

Why does every first letter has to be capital? It looks awkward and difficult to read. If you want to underscore something just write in bold.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
2007-05-23
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
2007-07-02
Compare
nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute

You are saying that your H1b is approved. So you are on H1b status. Nothing like bench period exists in the books.

H1 transfers will require pay stubs.

You are legal currently. Get a job.

What have you done for the whole year of your OPT? Did you work? Post with specific dates of you status like when you graduated, when your OPT started etc for people to answer more efficiently.

advertisement

Old 12-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just find a project and start working

Rather than trying to jump ships, try to find projects and heed the advice of your employer on the best way to find it. He/she too has an interest in finding you a project. However, you can help yourself by looking for project on your own and then referring the client to your employer.

Dice.com will have most jobs that accept third-party or second party contracts for projects. Monster.com is more for the permenant fulltime jobs. But for consulting jobs, Dice.com would have most positions. BE OPEN to various skills that may be required at different projects and be prepared to learn them quickly.

Also, the market is good right now and you should find something easily. Dont worry too much and just concentrate on finding your first project.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
You must try hard to find a project at this time so that you can get a few pay stubs. once you get your pay stubs you can then think about H1B transfer. As logiclife said, try on dice or monster sites. BTW on dice banner ads you will find my smiling face as Mr. Singh from Texas. They took my picture as it was very Indian and advertised it with a changed name

Old 12-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/15/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Compare
satishbsk is on a distinguished road

Ask your employer to run payrole from anytime after your h1 approval date -You bear/ask employer to bear that tax money to run payrole and you will get most of it in returns as it is small amount.
I heard no problem even if u have break in paystubs in middle.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:01 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Thanks for the advice. I need to find a project ASAP.

Old 12-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
MrWaitingGC is on a distinguished road
Default As long as your employer says you are employed with him

Dont worry.

According US..website as long you have employer and employee relation ship then you are legally allowed to stay. That means you are NOT out of status.

These initial days can be given reasons saying I requested Joining time. And no body will questions about this.

As others mentioned find a Job quickly Once your payroll starts then make sure payroll doesnt break.

I have seen many people will not get Job till March i,e they will be without pay From October-March. So you are not alone.

GoodLuck