Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2006, 03:56 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
radhikac is on a distinguished road
Default Transit Visa for France

hi All,
I am on AP/EAD and need to Transit thru Paris in February. I have a confirmed return ticket and my visas have expired. I am currently in India.I called VFS and they told me that I do not need a transit visa however when I emailed them they responded by saying check with your Airline. I am trying to email the consulate in Mumbai but keep getting bounce backs.
However I found links on the Atlanta and Washigton consulates that say that I need a visa.

http://www.consulfrance-atlanta.org/...id_article=827
http://www.consulfrance-washington.o...id_article=383

Has anyone returned to the US recently on a Advance Parole and expired Visa? and did you need a Transit visa? It would be great if you can tell when you returned. Immigrationvoice seems to be the only place where I could possibly get some real answers.

Apologizes if this thread is under the wrong category
Thanks
Radhika
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2006, 11:40 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about gcseeker2002 has a spectacular aura about

I spoke personally to the SFO consulate and they said , unless you have something in your passport that is valid you need a transit visa. They dont care about other forms of travel.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:51 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Compare
pmamp has a spectacular aura about pmamp has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by radhikac
hi All,
I am on AP/EAD and need to Transit thru Paris in February. I have a confirmed return ticket and my visas have expired. I am currently in India.I called VFS and they told me that I do not need a transit visa however when I emailed them they responded by saying check with your Airline. I am trying to email the consulate in Mumbai but keep getting bounce backs.
However I found links on the Atlanta and Washigton consulates that say that I need a visa.

http://www.consulfrance-atlanta.org/...id_article=827
http://www.consulfrance-washington.o...id_article=383

Has anyone returned to the US recently on a Advance Parole and expired Visa? and did you need a Transit visa? It would be great if you can tell when you returned. Immigrationvoice seems to be the only place where I could possibly get some real answers.

Apologizes if this thread is under the wrong category
Thanks
Radhika
As far as I know, transit visa is required in case you do not have a valid visa/ citizenship for the departure country. So, if your visa has expired on passport but have visa approval/ or other documents to support AND you are traveling from US to India via France then you would need France airport transit visa.

However, in your case, since you are Indian citizen (I assume) and traveling to US via France you do not need a airport transit visa.

The logic behind this weird rule is that in case you are stuck in France for some reason and they want you to go home (deport) then you should have valid visa/ citizenship to the country you came from.

Otherwise, none of us (Indians or other nationals) would need a transit visa to Europe going from US - India as we have Indian passport.

Hope this helps. As you know you can always check with airlines/ consulate to make sure you are good to go.

~ happy travel

Old 12-21-2006, 12:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
tb2904 is a jewel in the rough tb2904 is a jewel in the rough tb2904 is a jewel in the rough
Default Safe to get the transit visa

I was in a kind of similar situation couple of times

1. I had a valid US visa and I was traveling from Cincinnati to New Delhi via Paris on Air France. My flight from Cincinnati got delayed and I missed my connecting flight in Paris. All the passengers that had the green card or US citizenship were allowed to stay in Hotel outside the airport. But, since I am an Indian national and did not have a transit visa, France custom officer told me that I am "illegally" in France. He was nice guy and advised me to stay the night at the airport terminal and board the plane to India next day.

2. My visa on my passport expired and I had the H1 extension papers with me. I was traveling on Air France from Cincinnati to New Delhi and my flight was via Paris. The airline staff at Cincinnati did not allow me to board the plane as I did not have a valid US visa on my passport. I had to drive down to Chicago to get the transit visa.

Bottom line, if you don't have a green card it is better/safe to get a transit visa. France is a tourist friendly country and they process the visa much faster than other embassy provided you have had western country visa before (which in your case you do).

Last edited by tb2904; 12-21-2006 at 08:50 PM.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:24 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which European Country Donot require Transit Visa?

Hi

I and my family members have EXPIRED STUDENT VISA on the Passort. I have H-1 (H-4) approval till 2008 but no VALID VISA STAMP on our Passport.

I am planing a TRIP to INDIA in Summer. Since My I-140 is already approved and I-485 pending, I will have ADVANCE PAROLE in my hand when I visit India. I will also attempt to Get H-1B/H-4 stamp at Mumbai, while I am in India.

My question is Since I dont have any VALID VISA STAMP on my PASSPORT While going as well as in return, WHICH AIRLINE OR TRANSIT COUNTRY I SHOULD SELECT SO THAT I WILL NOT HAVE TO GET TRANSIT VISA ?

IS there any EUROPEAN TRANSIT COUNTRY FOR FLYING TO MUMBAI WHICH DOES NOT REQUIRE TRANSIT VISA FROM INDIAN NATIONALS.

YOUR input will help me lot in be prepared and planing for my summer trip.

Thanks

Old 12-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
AbraKaDabra is on a distinguished road

Flying thru Amsterdam and Milan doesn't require a transit visa

Old 12-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
praveen_mr is on a distinguished road

Just fly Continental or Delta from NY to Mumbai (this is non stop)

Old 12-21-2006, 04:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
arao is on a distinguished road
Default Amsterdam

I recently confirmed Netherlands does not need transit visa.
So, I am flying Northwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpforgc
Hi

I and my family members have EXPIRED STUDENT VISA on the Passort. I have H-1 (H-4) approval till 2008 but no VALID VISA STAMP on our Passport.

I am planing a TRIP to INDIA in Summer. Since My I-140 is already approved and I-485 pending, I will have ADVANCE PAROLE in my hand when I visit India. I will also attempt to Get H-1B/H-4 stamp at Mumbai, while I am in India.

My question is Since I dont have any VALID VISA STAMP on my PASSPORT While going as well as in return, WHICH AIRLINE OR TRANSIT COUNTRY I SHOULD SELECT SO THAT I WILL NOT HAVE TO GET TRANSIT VISA ?

IS there any EUROPEAN TRANSIT COUNTRY FOR FLYING TO MUMBAI WHICH DOES NOT REQUIRE TRANSIT VISA FROM INDIAN NATIONALS.

YOUR input will help me lot in be prepared and planing for my summer trip.

Thanks

Old 12-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ajmalnasar is on a distinguished road
Default Fly through Amsterdam Or Continental Airlines

Last month I flew to New Delhi India through Continental Airlines, I did not had the visa and my Visa had expired. You have a flight to Mumbai also. It is a nonstop flight, 13 hours straight and you are in. No hassles, no need of transit visa and you save six hours that goes in vain while transit.

Mu suggestion, fly Continental from New Jersey.

Thats the best in all respect. Travel time, no transit visa etc.

Thanks

Ajmal

Old 12-21-2006, 08:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
tb2904 is a jewel in the rough tb2904 is a jewel in the rough tb2904 is a jewel in the rough
Default Options

1. Fly directly to your home country - No transit visa required and no valid US visa required

2. Fly via any other country - No transit visa required as long as you are not stranded in airport due to delay in first leg of the flight. Also, to board a plane to Europe you have to have a valid US visa. Please read my above post for the past expereinces.