Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dish is on a distinguished road
Default H4 work visa

There is a site called http://www.hvisasurvey.org which conducts surveys about the lives of poeple on different H Visas. They were lobbying for H4 work authorization and protection under VAWA for non-immigrant woman.

I have a suggestion. Why not ImmigrationVoice Join with HVisaSurvey and Lobby for more rights for H4 Visa Holders.

At least the H4 should be allowed to work if the labor certification is pending or the I-140 is approved for the H1 visa holder. Waiting for I-485 to become current is a long wait. Why nobody care about H4s. L2's got work permit because the big multinational companies who used a lot of L1 visas lobbied for it.
Bookmark and Share Compare

Old 03-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/18/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
gonecrazyonh4 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy H4 Visas should be allowed to work

I agree with you. Why are we penalised for being on H4 Visa ?

Most people on H4 Visas are well educated and would easily be able to contribute to american economy. We are lawabiding and can give so much to american economy. All our talents are wasted and skills are rotting sitting around for the backlog centers to clear the LC's and for retrogression to end.Meanwhile we practically have no life and are completely dependant .

Immigration Voice should try to include the greviances of H4 spuses into consideration.

Old 03-16-2006, 05:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h4visa is an unknown quantity at this point

I totally agree with you. Infact the link posted (http://groups.google.com/group/misc....um=1&hl=en#6c4 782cc627fd7ad) is quite interesting. The problem is, most of the women population on H-4 here have never thought of taking it up. Infact they should take the initiative and the husbands should cooperate. Its a genuine and serious topic. when u have talent in the country, then why not use it...? One should post these discussions in Murthy.com or many other sites as well which has got good number of hits... so that its raised today or tomorrow...

Old 03-16-2006, 07:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/18/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
gonecrazyonh4 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy H4 Visa - why is the request considered controversial?

If you read the postings in this thread itself you would be surprised to see that some consider this as controversial. You are not writing your life off just because you married a H1B visa holder. It also happens that majority of H4 holdes are woman and hence unable to express their views. - a perfect case of lack of visibility.

Old 03-17-2006, 12:53 AM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
thebullspeaks is on a distinguished road
Default Dependendent visa in UK

As far as I know, if one goes to UK on a work permit, the spouse can start working from the beginning itlsef. The professional and the spouse get their automatic PR in 4 years just by being there. There are similar examples in other countries, but, the fact is that if we have to be in the US, we have to go by "their rules".

I admire US administration's guts to openly admit and declare that they are biased and work on a case by case basis or at will when it comes to looking out for their own interests, even in the immigration (Not to mention, they look confused as well).

For example, how is a spouse of an L1 visa holder anyway different from a spouse of and H1 ? The difference is that the US government presents the L2 spouses with an EAD at arrival and restricts the H4 spouses to home.

Well, I think we should take one thing at a time, and the current task in hand at IV is more than enough to comprehend and fight for, adding the H4 issue eventually may add value, but not at this juncture.

advertisement

Old 03-17-2006, 09:51 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ramboom1 is on a distinguished road
Default H4 - What is IV doing

H4 - must be allowed to work. American economy does not differenciate between an American and a legal alien. We all pay the same rent, same tax, same price for car. When our H4 spouses cannot work, we have to totally depend on one salary. In case of emergencies we hit rock bottom economically. Quite obviously our quality of life is compromised.

But what do we do about it?

Is this one of the goals of IV?

Old 03-17-2006, 11:41 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2007
Compare
harsh will become famous soon enough

I also do not understand why H4 are not eligible for work permit. I think when they passed H1b, they did not lobby for H4's to have work permit as they probably did when they introduced L1/L2 and E1/E2 visas. The onus is on us H1b holders to ask for H4's to have work permit. So I hope IV adds this to their list of goals if it is not already one. Lot of people understand that current H1b limit is not enough so this could be a good option if they are reluctant to increase the H1b cap.

Old 03-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h4visa is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats a good point Harsh. If they are reluctant to increase the H1 cap they can simply look for the talent in their own house (USA). After all we all are paying taxes and can contribute to the economy. and also we should seriously think about lobbying for issuance of EAD to H-4's once I-140 is approved.

Old 03-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dish is on a distinguished road
Default H4 Work Authorization

The reason H4's are ignored, is that 90% of them are woman. Most H1b Contractors come from third world countries. And most men would like to see their wives as housewives only. Also woman are less aware of socio-political issues. When they understand, they can't work on H4 visa, they just accept it as their fate. they never ask for more .

Unless the women on H4 starts to speak up and spread the awareness of H4 issues, getting work permit for H4 will always remain a dream. even though few woman activists are trying to lobby for it. We have educate the Congressmen that Woman on H4 needs to have Work authorization. It is not a privilege. It should be a right. I think ImmigrationVoice should put H4 Work Authorization in their agenda.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:01 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
RDWilson2 is on a distinguished road
Cool The (hopefully) Gentle Voice of the Opposition

[quote=eb3_nepa]Guys pls lets keep these contorversial discussions out of here. Yes it is a valid point that H4s shud be allowed to work. However we cannot compare the US immigration system to the Australian one. They are 2 very different systems and the Blunt truth is, if you like the Australian system better go there

For openers, let me be totally honest. I am a IT worker who has been and seen others laid off due to the ability of employers to raise the specifications as to what was required for an IT job to the point that foreign workers with PhD's could be hired for less and US workers laid off, so I have a bit of a bias involved here with H-1b visas and L-1 visas.

That said, I would also like to second the statement quoted above and slightly expand it. Here in Texas, there is a statement usually made as one sits down to a table to play cards, "House rules." That means that, by sitting down at the table, you are implicitly agreeing to abide by the rules as established by that particular house. By obtaining a visa from the US government, you have _explicitly_ agreed to abide by the rules set by the US government. To claim that they are somehow "unfair" or "discriminatory", especially after you have agreed to them, implies, IMHO, that you had no intention of abiding by them when you accepted the visa.

During my career, I have investigated opportunities to work in a few other countries and have consistently found that they had significant barriers to a US citizen coming into the country to "take jobs from their citizens". While I might have enjoyed working, for instance, in the UK or Australia, I also accepted that their governments had the right to set their own "house rules". I guess, though, it may be too much to ask to expect similar consideration for the US government's right to set _its_ own "house rules," no matter how quirky they may seem to others.

As for the comparison of which visa holders' spouses/dependents can or cannot work here, I would ask the unasked question, "Why not allign these variances in the visas in the OTHER direction?" (I.e., why not simply change things so that NO spouse or dependent who obtained their visa based upon a primary visa holder is permitted a work-visa?) I realize this is probably not a popular position in this forum but, if for no other reason than being the "Devil's Advocate", perhaps it should be raised and considered.

advertisement

Old 03-28-2006, 10:05 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
RDWilson2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonecrazyonh4
If you read the postings in this thread itself you would be surprised to see that some consider this as controversial. You are not writing your life off just because you married a H1B visa holder. It also happens that majority of H4 holdes are woman and hence unable to express their views. - a perfect case of lack of visibility.
What makes it intuitively obvious that an H-4 visa holder cannot express their views just because they are a woman?

H-4 visa holders can seek a change of visa. If you want to work, do so instead of relying on the H-1 status of the spouse. If you want your wife/husband/dependent to be able to work, why not seek a change of visa status for them? Or is this just too much of an effort?

Old 04-05-2006, 11:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Guyana
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h4hopeful is on a distinguished road
Default Another H-4 that wants to work

I cannot agree more with all the views. I have been here for over 5 years and couldn't find an employer to change to H-1B. L1 spouses can work and if the new immigration bill is passed a spouse of an illegal (who is legalizing now) via a low skilled job could also work, why can't we? We should have anyways.
There is a bill called TALENT "Through the Advancement of Legal and Educated New Talent.” which if debated and approved would let H-4s work, how can this be done?

Old 04-06-2006, 12:32 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
avi101 is on a distinguished road

With due sympathy for affected folks, you really can't blame US govt for this. The law had H1B with dual intent and work constraints based on LCA and H4 as a dependent visa and not eligible to work.

Why? I don't know. Is it fair? Maybe not if you consider that L1 dependents can work but US govt did not have such provision for H1B dependents.

But that has been the law even before you got married and came here. If you did not know that you can't work on H4 then it's your own ignorance. Blame your spouse for not mentioning it to you or blame yourself for not asking that question or blame ignorance that you were not aware that would happen. There have been spouses who came here on H4, transferred into H1 because their skills were marketable (Marketable in the sense that companies (not body shops) were willing to get into the hassle of an H1B) or chose to pursue further studies, arming themselves with an US degree and made themselves marketable. Some took up unpaid internships for a while, thereby gaining experience, and when the opportunity presented itself were able to get an H1. some others took up volunteering jobs nearby.

Frankly, US govt is not responsible if you did not do your due diligence before getting married.

Now, that said, I think it would be great if H4s are allowed to work considering that so many are well educated and possibly skilled and trained. Take up the cause and enlist more people and try. Nothings impossible. Good luck.

Last edited by avi101; 04-06-2006 at 12:44 AM.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:00 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Guyana
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h4hopeful is on a distinguished road

I find your comment hard to digest. I have a graduate degree and am experienced, I couldn'f find a job and I tried hard, not everyone succeeds, I am sure I am not the only skilled H-4 that couldn't get an H-1B even though tried hard. But that is not what I want to comment right now.

I understand your post during 2005, I do not get it now, when the L-1 spouses can work and if immigration laws are passed for the illegals to have work permits and let the spouses work, it will be completely biased for the H-4 visa holders. As per that there is no excuse for ignoring the H-4 laws you are right, there is no excuse for ignoring them but there is no excuse to let the L-1 spouses work and not the H-1b spouses. More so now with the illegal spouses, don't you think that we should be allowed to work?

Old 04-06-2006, 02:13 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
avi101 is on a distinguished road

Let me reiterate that I am all for H4s being able to work and you guys should try unite for this cause.

I haven't researched L1 quota and its intent so I really can't comment further with respect to that.

Its unfortunate that legals and illegals are measured on different scales and it would be very unfair if they end up getting more benefits than us legals. I am not sure what you mean by illegal spouses? Either one is illegal or one is not.

I wish you the best in your search and would highly recommend exploring the unpaid internship possibilites in the interim.

Last edited by avi101; 04-06-2006 at 02:15 AM.

Closed Thread