Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Non-Immigrant Visas
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visas All Non Immigrant Visas - B/H/F/J...

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 04:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
audrey83 is on a distinguished road
Default Best way to get permanent residency thru marriage

Here's the situation: I am a French citizen and I live in France. My boyfriend is South African, lives and works in the U.S and has had his green card for 2 years (so not a US citizen yet). Our goal is for us to live together in the U.S and we are wondering what would be the best way to achieve that:

- get married in France and then once he gets his U.S citizenship file a petition for Alien Relative (and for a K-3 non immigrant visa in the meantime so I can stay and work there while awaiting the adjudication)

-wait for him to get his U.S citizenship and then apply for a K-1 fiancée visa; and then file I-765 for Application for Employment Authorization and I-485 for Application to Register Permanent Residence

Which one makes more sense and is the quickest or is there another way?

Thank you for your time and advice!

Audrey.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
chtummala is infamous around these parts chtummala is infamous around these parts chtummala is infamous around these parts chtummala is infamous around these parts chtummala is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audrey83 View Post
Here's the situation: I am a French citizen and I live in France. My boyfriend is South African, lives and works in the U.S and has had his green card for 2 years (so not a US citizen yet). Our goal is for us to live together in the U.S and we are wondering what would be the best way to achieve that:

- get married in France and then once he gets his U.S citizenship file a petition for Alien Relative (and for a K-3 non immigrant visa in the meantime so I can stay and work there while awaiting the adjudication)

-wait for him to get his U.S citizenship and then apply for a K-1 fiancée visa; and then file I-765 for Application for Employment Authorization and I-485 for Application to Register Permanent Residence

Audrey.
hmm u don't qualify for K visa ..

Old 03-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Nov-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/18/2011
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vidyas_m has a reputation beyond repute vidyas_m has a reputation beyond repute vidyas_m has a reputation beyond repute vidyas_m has a reputation beyond repute vidyas_m has a reputation beyond repute vidyas_m has a reputation beyond repute vidyas_m has a reputation beyond repute vidyas_m has a reputation beyond repute vidyas_m has a reputation beyond repute vidyas_m has a reputation beyond repute vidyas_m has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by audrey83 View Post

Audrey.
Hi Audrey,

If you get married and your husband applies for your I-485 right now on his Green Card status (no need to wait for citizenship), you will fall under the F2A category (Family based category for Spouses of permanent residents). The current processing date for F2A category per the April Visa Bulletin for all countries is Dec 15, 2010. So, the wait time is approx. 2 years. Meanwhile, you can visit your husband on a 6 month visitor visa if you like. But I think you would not be allowed to work.

To explore your second option, your boyfriend still has 3 years to apply for citizenship. So, I think the first option is faster. I also do not know the wait time for a K visa. You may be able to find that on the USCIS website.

All the best!

Total contributions $400 + $25 monthly for 12 mo.
Participated in 2011 Advocacy Day Events