Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > FREE Lawyer conference calls
Click to log in with Facebook
FREE Lawyer conference calls This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 06:37 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
beefdaniel is on a distinguished road
Default H1B Transfer Fees

I came into the US on an H1-B though employer A. I switched jobs to an end user manufacturing company who transferred my H1-B.

However when I asked my I 797 they asked me to sign a document which said that in case I quit before 2 years I would have to pay the visa transfer fees and the lawyer fees they incurred for the H1-B transfer. I have signed the document.

Just to add the H1-B Transfer Fees payment clause wasn't a part of the offer document, but another document which had the repayment details.

Now its been 6 months and I don't really like the work and I would like to change jobs. I really don't want to pay up because logically I think I shouldn't have to.

Whats the case here - is there a legal precedent that I will have to pay since I signed the document or is there a way I can get around it?

If someone can help whats the H1 Transfer Fees (Premium Processing) and approximate Lawyer fees; Cohen Law handled the H1 Transfer.

I have read the USCIS page here http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/statutes...m#.UMs4quTAdRc and it says that employee is not liable to pay. However is there a state law which overrides USCIS. I am in PA.

Regards,
Dan
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute

I guess if you signed a document, offer doc or other, you are legally required to fulfill the commitment. Pay the fees or complete two years. Unfortunately, thats the only option as you signed it.

And whatever you read is right. You need to pay the Transfer fees. Thats not required. But you signed a document that explicitly says something. You may want to check with a lawyer if there is a way around claiming this is not legal for them to ask you to pay.

You can talk to them and settle an amount if they allow you to have a discussion with them on this.

I understand your situation though. Hope all will be fine.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:04 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Typo: I meant to say "usually you need not to pay the H1 fees".

Old 12-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicy_guy View Post
Typo: I meant to say "usually you need not to pay the H1 fees".
What do you mean by usually?

That is not a legal word.

What does the law says? The answer should be yes or no. And if it is no, then should paying the fees be illegal?

Has the OP spoken with the department if labor himself yet? Why not?
===================
Use the info in the post at your risk. None of this is legal advice.
-----------

Old 12-18-2012, 06:22 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu View Post

What does the law says? The answer should be yes or no. And if it is no, then should paying the fees be illegal?

How do I contact the DOL - is there an email or a phone number?

Old 12-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu View Post

I meant to say, H1 fees are borne by the petitioner / Employer, not by the employee. Its per law. But the OP signed a document that has some verbiage which bounds him to pay the amount, if he were to leave the company.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicy_guy View Post
I meant to say, H1 fees are borne by the petitioner / Employer, not by the employee. Its per law. But the OP signed a document that has some verbiage which bounds him to pay the amount, if he were to leave the company.
Read 'at will' employment law for your state.
===================
Use the info in the post at your risk. None of this is legal advice.
-----------

Old 12-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

So following the mixed responses here, I asked this question on justanswer.com to an actual lawyer. The lawyer mentioned that even though I signed the document I am not bound by law to pay the lawyer and visa transfer fees becauses USCIS doesn't allow that.

And even if there were state laws that said that, USCIS would be federal law and would super cede a state law for H1B fees.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute

Good that you did not go to famous lawyers and spend 200 dollars on the same answer. But you still wasted 20 dollars for something that you can easily search on forums. The problem with folks like you is you will never believe what people will tell you on forums. Only if a lawyer tells you will be listen. Do you know such lawyers answer holds no water for you in court because it is not an attorny client relationship. The answer is not in written signed document that you can take to court. But It is also common story of many people who sign some document for their visa and then are scared like anything. Come on grow up and don't live a life of an exploited person.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

I agree with you to a great extent my friend. But in-spite of having many experienced guys in forums like these not everything covers all scenarios. Even if you read the thread above there are conflicting responses.

However now if someone else searched for this thread he at least know that someone consultant an "online attorney" and has some legal bases to be sure. I know that I spend 30 bucks for no good reason but it makes me sleep at night :-)

I hope to be more active on this forum going forward. Thank you everyone.