Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Medical exams and related issues
Click to log in with Facebook
Medical exams and related issues All issues related to medical exams for 485 filing.

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
delhiguy has a spectacular aura about delhiguy has a spectacular aura about
Default Vaccinations Required for an Adult (35 Years)

Hi ,

I am just trying to figure out , what vaccinations are required for an adult (35 Years), before he file 485.

I read few threads , but nothing was clear.

I would really appreciate , if someone could let me know , from his recent experience.

How much money is normally required by the Civil Surgeon to get you vaccinated?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
VSC9 is on a distinguished road
Default Vaccinations Required for an Adult (35 Years)

The ones we got are

MMR

Varicella

Test for syphilis

TB Test

If you apply in Nov then a flu shot

TDAP (Tetanus booster)

you can get more info from website. If you have any records of the previous vaccinations then they will be valid for 10 yrs i guess(but please check for the validity period with your physician)

The way we did it was, we went to our primary care physician and got all the vaccinations and test for TB and syphilis (which was covered by our insurance[vaccination part is covered in your annual])

We then took the report to the civil surgeon who charged 75 in MN. But try calling all the civil surgeon in your area as everyone else was charging 200/pp and after a lot of tries i got this one for a lot cheaper than the others.

VSC

Old 10-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
evoori is a glorious beacon of light evoori is a glorious beacon of light evoori is a glorious beacon of light evoori is a glorious beacon of light evoori is a glorious beacon of light evoori is a glorious beacon of light
Default Medical Exam for USCIS

Medical Exam I-693

The exam can be broken down in two steps for our own convenience. Step 1 is immunization, Step 2 is medical tests

Step 1 - Immunizations: Their is list at USCIS for different immunization required. Not all vaccines are required for all age group. For adult of our age group (30-50), following vaccines are required
a. MMR
b. Varicella : If you had chicken pox in your childhood you are already immune to this
c. Tetanus (Tdap or Tetanus booster shot) : These are given every 10 years.. someone in the post said USCIS wants this in last 5 years
d. Flu : Not every but more and more physicians are saying that this is also required for USCIS. These have to be given every year.
If you already have taken (a-c) but do not have records, you can get your blood test (exam is known as TITER) done for the above vaccines showing that you have antibodies for those 'or' you can take the vaccines again.

Step 2 - Medical Exam:
a. TB : TB Skin test is 2 day affair. On day 1 doctor will inject tuberculin on your arm and on day 3 will measure for swelling if any. The vaccines (MMR I think) above do interfere with the test. Therefor it is recommended to get vaccines after the skin test. Many of us have taken BCG vaccine in our childhood, this may also interfere with the TB skin and can give false positive test result then doctor will ask to go for chest x-ray.
b. Syphilis
c. Physical exam
d. HIV : NOT required anymore.

Step 2 has to be done at USCIS approved civil surgeon ( USCIS - Designated Civil Surgeons ). Step 1 can be done at any physician, any county hospital, even in India (getting records is important for Step 1) or at the civil surgeon office. Getting done at civil surgeon office is normally NOT covered by health insurance and therefore cost more money. USCIS does not regulate fees charged and you should call different surgeon to get quote. Surgeon near me quoted $100 for Step 2 only and $400 for Step1 + Step2.

After the test and looking at records, civil surgeon will fill form I693 and seal in an envelope and give it to you.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
delhiguy has a spectacular aura about delhiguy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoori View Post
Medical Exam I-693

The exam can be broken down in two steps for our own convenience. Step 1 is immunization, Step 2 is medical tests

Step 1 - Immunizations: Their is list at USCIS for different immunization required. Not all vaccines are required for all age group. For adult of our age group (30-50), following vaccines are required
a. MMR
b. Varicella : If you had chicken pox in your childhood you are already immune to this
c. Tetanus (Tdap or Tetanus booster shot) : These are given every 10 years.. someone in the post said USCIS wants this in last 5 years
d. Flu : Not every but more and more physicians are saying that this is also required for USCIS. These have to be given every year.
If you already have taken (a-c) but do not have records, you can get your blood test (exam is known as TITER) done for the above vaccines showing that you have antibodies for those 'or' you can take the vaccines again.

Step 2 - Medical Exam:
a. TB : TB Skin test is 2 day affair. On day 1 doctor will inject tuberculin on your arm and on day 3 will measure for swelling if any. The vaccines (MMR I think) above do interfere with the test. Therefor it is recommended to get vaccines after the skin test. Many of us have taken BCG vaccine in our childhood, this may also interfere with the TB skin and can give false positive test result then doctor will ask to go for chest x-ray.
b. Syphilis
c. Physical exam

Step 2 has to be done at USCIS approved civil surgeon ( USCIS - Designated Civil Surgeons ). Step 1 can be done at any physician, any county hospital, even in India (getting records is important for Step 1) or at the civil surgeon office. Getting done at civil surgeon office is normally NOT covered by health insurance and therefore cost more money. USCIS does not regulate fees charged and you should call different surgeon to get quote. Surgeon near me quoted $100 for Step 2 only and $400 for Step1 + Step2.

After the test and looking at records, civil surgeon will fill form I693 and seal in an envelope and give it to you.
Thanks evoori.

Very well detailed reply . Should help immigrants who have this question in the future too.

I did get all the vaccines in India , at the time when i was kid (other than HepA Hep B) but i didnt have any records.
So last week i went to my PCP, and he gave me MMR,HEPA,HEPB,Infuenza and i received a TDAP like 2 years ago (had hurt myself). I had ChickenPox in my childhood. I have to go again for HEPA and HEPB. Do you think that i would be gud?

Where is the dr who quoted you $100? If you dont mind.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:37 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rkgc is on a distinguished road
Default before or after I-485?

Hi quick question - does all the test, & vaccines need to be done before sending I-485 application form or after. It might be stupid question, coz my guess is before. if yes, then that might give us only 1 month to do, coz the data might get retrogressed, correct?

RK

Old 10-14-2011, 12:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
evoori is a glorious beacon of light evoori is a glorious beacon of light evoori is a glorious beacon of light evoori is a glorious beacon of light evoori is a glorious beacon of light evoori is a glorious beacon of light

Medical tests are required for filing I-485.. so it has to be done before I-485 and the report submitted with the I-485.. (however I know few people submitted I-485 without medical in July fiasco because of short time and busy civil surgeons, but expect RFE and risk of denial because of I-485 because of no medicals)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkgc View Post
Hi quick question - does all the test, & vaccines need to be done before sending I-485 application form or after. It might be stupid question, coz my guess is before. if yes, then that might give us only 1 month to do, coz the data might get retrogressed, correct?

RK

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/06/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
staln is just really nice staln is just really nice staln is just really nice staln is just really nice
Default Validity?

How long are the I693 tests/vaccines valid, before applying I485?

Old 10-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eyeswe has a reputation beyond repute eyeswe has a reputation beyond repute eyeswe has a reputation beyond repute eyeswe has a reputation beyond repute eyeswe has a reputation beyond repute eyeswe has a reputation beyond repute eyeswe has a reputation beyond repute eyeswe has a reputation beyond repute eyeswe has a reputation beyond repute eyeswe has a reputation beyond repute eyeswe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoori View Post
Medical Exam I-693

a. MMR

Step 2 - Medical Exam:
b. Syphilis
c. Physical exam

Thanks for the info. How do i get a titer check? Should I just ask my doctor to do it to understand the antibodies, or is the civil surgeon? My PCP refused to do it and the labs will not do until they get a referral from PCP....

tHANKS AGAIN

Old 10-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/07/2011
Compare
mangatha2011 is a glorious beacon of light mangatha2011 is a glorious beacon of light mangatha2011 is a glorious beacon of light mangatha2011 is a glorious beacon of light mangatha2011 is a glorious beacon of light mangatha2011 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks evoori. Good information.

Do you or any one have any information what are medical tests required for Children(10 years) or below based on Step1(We can get it from Pediatrician) & Step2?

Thanks once again.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

MMR, Varicella are valid for life.. Tdap for 5 years I think and Flu is required every season..
However, report by civil surgeon is valid for 30 days only.. So do not get your I-693 filled unless you see you dates current..

Quote:
Originally Posted by staln View Post
How long are the I693 tests/vaccines valid, before applying I485?
I asked my PCP that I need Titer test for MMR and Varicella.. however titer is very common test and nurses should be knowing it very well.. the invoice they gave me said 'screening for communicable disease'.. hope this helps..
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeswe View Post
Thanks for the info. How do i get a titer check? Should I just ask my doctor to do it to understand the antibodies, or is the civil surgeon? My PCP refused to do it and the labs will not do until they get a referral from PCP....

tHANKS AGAIN
the attachment below should help.. both images are part of 1 picture but due to size limitation I had to cut it into two.. (courtesy meso129)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatha2011 View Post
Thanks evoori. Good information.

Do you or any one have any information what are medical tests required for Children(10 years) or below based on Step1(We can get it from Pediatrician) & Step2?

Thanks once again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-10-14_141826.jpg (76.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-10-14_142115.jpg (42.0 KB, 23 views)