Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing
Click to log in with Facebook
Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing Travel out of country and re-entry after 485 filing. Various options of travelling and issues that need to be taken care of while filing and after filing 485.

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ViciousCircle is a name known to all ViciousCircle is a name known to all ViciousCircle is a name known to all ViciousCircle is a name known to all ViciousCircle is a name known to all ViciousCircle is a name known to all
Default Travelling through London Heathrow

My H1 (stamped visa) has expired and I will be using AP for travelling through Heathrow. I know UK requires a DATV (Direct Airside Transit Visa) in such cases.

However, I do have a valid B1/B2 visa (never used but valid till 2015). Do I still need a DATV or will the B1/B2 save me ?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sudarshana_sg will become famous soon enough

I just did this two weeks back- you dont need anything other than your AP document/ card. That is as good as a visa. My H1 B had expired and I had no other valid US visas stamped on my passport. They just looked at my AP and that was that.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ViciousCircle is a name known to all ViciousCircle is a name known to all ViciousCircle is a name known to all ViciousCircle is a name known to all ViciousCircle is a name known to all ViciousCircle is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudarshana_sg View Post
I just did this two weeks back- you dont need anything other than your AP document/ card. That is as good as a visa. My H1 B had expired and I had no other valid US visas stamped on my passport. They just looked at my AP and that was that.
That's a great news ! You travelled through London right ? Which airlines did you use ?

Old 02-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/15/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/27/2012
Compare
blademaster has much to be proud of blademaster has much to be proud of blademaster has much to be proud of blademaster has much to be proud of blademaster has much to be proud of blademaster has much to be proud of blademaster has much to be proud of blademaster has much to be proud of
Default Why?

Why is anyone even considering traveling through London?

The first thing I tell the travel agent is no flight through Europe. Otherwise you get into this visa mess.

Unless its super cheap, of course, I agree. Try Etihad, Qatar, Emirates etc.,

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

I flew British Airways thru London heathrow on my way to and from india. Keep in mind that if you plan a stopover in the UK (plan on getting out of the airport, i.e, and not just transitting thru) you need to have a UK visa.

advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/04/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I flew British Airways thru London heathrow on my way to and from india. Keep in mind that if you plan a stopover in the UK (plan on getting out of the airport, i.e, and not just transitting thru) you need to have a UK visa.
I thought they needed transit visa if the H1 stamp in passport has expired. Has that changed?
New EB2 I-140 Approved: 12/5/2011 (TSC)
Interfiled 12/15/2012
Greened on Feb 10, 2012!
Total Contribution: $200

Old 02-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousCircle View Post
My H1 (stamped visa) has expired and I will be using AP for travelling through Heathrow. I know UK requires a DATV (Direct Airside Transit Visa) in such cases.

However, I do have a valid B1/B2 visa (never used but valid till 2015). Do I still need a DATV or will the B1/B2 save me ?
I think you should be ok. But as a principle we should not travel these airlines that require a Transit visa. I mean what kind of arrogance is that. In effect they want you to get a visa to crap in their restroom. Unless until you plan to actually visit the UK. I don't see a reason to travel through UK or obtain a transit visa.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvenkat View Post
I think you should be ok. But as a principle we should not travel these airlines that require a Transit visa. I mean what kind of arrogance is that. In effect they want you to get a visa to crap in their restroom. Unless until you plan to actually visit the UK. I don't see a reason to travel through UK or obtain a transit visa.
The only thing is, it is looking a lot cheaper to fly through LHR in summer (Virgin Atlantic + Jet) . The only other option which is cheaper than this is Gulf airways but that too takes through LHR. Emirates is directly through Dubai but more expensive

Old 02-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

You do not need an kind of a visa for the UK unless you plan on leaving the airport. I travelled to India and back on AP. did not have a valid us visa stamped on my passport- uk authorities or airlines did not create any issues.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/07/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
sanprabhu has a brilliant future sanprabhu has a brilliant future sanprabhu has a brilliant future sanprabhu has a brilliant future sanprabhu has a brilliant future sanprabhu has a brilliant future sanprabhu has a brilliant future sanprabhu has a brilliant future sanprabhu has a brilliant future sanprabhu has a brilliant future sanprabhu has a brilliant future

Quote:
You do not need an kind of a visa for the UK unless you plan on leaving the airport. I travelled to India and back on AP. did not have a valid us visa stamped on my passport- uk authorities or airlines did not create any issues.
Thanks for your update. From DFW, American does not fly anywhere else decent for a one stop trip to Singapore for example, so I was looking for LHR stop over which is very convenient time (just 1 to 2 hours). Emirates and Qatar have atrocious connection with a stop over of 8 hours or so which is very inconvenient for me. I will take my chance this time and see what develops.

TX IV member

advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/22/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future

I think you have no idea about the number of fraud asylum seekers that come from countries that require transit visa. I also wondered about ridiculousness of needing transit visa as well, but on researching a bit further, I realized the other side of the story.

They are pretty justified in requiring transit visa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvenkat View Post

Old 03-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/06/2012
Compare
krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreekhand View Post
I think you have no idea about the number of fraud asylum seekers that come from countries that require transit visa. I also wondered about ridiculousness of needing transit visa as well, but on researching a bit further, I realized the other side of the story.

They are pretty justified in requiring transit visa.
I would tend to agree with you but question is how does it help prevent that ?

The other problem I have with these countries is , they insist on a stamped Visa even though AP probably has more weight while entering US.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishmunn View Post
I would tend to agree with you but question is how does it help prevent that ?

The other problem I have with these countries is , they insist on a stamped Visa even though AP probably has more weight while entering US.
Its all money honey....
# Contact the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ice.gov) by telephone at (866) DHS-2-ICE. The hotline is designed specifically to accept immigration violation reports. You can complain anonymously.

Fraud Detection and National Security (FDNS) Directorate
111 Massachusetts Ave., NW Suite 7002,
Mail Stop 2280 Washington,
D.C. 20529-2280
FDNS@dhs.gov
filing without current PD

Old 04-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
PRHolder has a brilliant future PRHolder has a brilliant future PRHolder has a brilliant future PRHolder has a brilliant future PRHolder has a brilliant future PRHolder has a brilliant future PRHolder has a brilliant future PRHolder has a brilliant future PRHolder has a brilliant future PRHolder has a brilliant future PRHolder has a brilliant future
Default Travel to US with AP and No Visa stamped

On the UK Border Agency website listed :
UK Border Agency | Do you need a visa? it shows I need a visa with an Indian passport and staying in the US.

I am not sure if the Travel Permit (Advance Parole) that we have to travel back would suffix instead of the UK transit visa.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2007
Compare
GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRHolder View Post
On the UK Border Agency website listed :
UK Border Agency | Do you need a visa? it shows I need a visa with an Indian passport and staying in the US.

I am not sure if the Travel Permit (Advance Parole) that we have to travel back would suffix instead of the UK transit visa.
Been through LHR on AP and no US visa - it is not needed.
RFE: BC in 2009/ Proof of Employment Authorization on July 8th, 2011
Greened on 07/16/2011
Cards Received on 07/21/2011