Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP
Click to log in with Facebook
Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP. Comparison between keeping H1 versus forfeiting H1 and using EAD/AP after 485 filing.

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
sathyaraj will become famous soon enough
Default Individual contracting on EAD - Tax payment

Hi,

I need some help. My wife started working as an individual contracter on EAD. Her contract employer is asking for completing W9 form. But in W9 form it clearly says that only US person can sign. We have just filed I-485 so obviously she cannot sign.

I have the following questions:
a. What is W9 form? I understand that this is for Tax payer identification, but it is not for AOS.
b. How does she need to pay taxed to IRS. Is it thru contracting employer or directly.

I am so confused. Pl. help.

I apologize for posting this several times, as I did not get a clear ans yet.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2007, 06:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gcsngh has a spectacular aura about gcsngh has a spectacular aura about gcsngh has a spectacular aura about
Default Call IRS

Sathyaraj,

This is not complicated, recommend call IRS..without giving names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaraj View Post
Hi,

I need some help. My wife started working as an individual contracter on EAD. Her contract employer is asking for completing W9 form. But in W9 form it clearly says that only US person can sign. We have just filed I-485 so obviously she cannot sign.

I have the following questions:
a. What is W9 form? I understand that this is for Tax payer identification, but it is not for AOS.
b. How does she need to pay taxed to IRS. Is it thru contracting employer or directly.

I am so confused. Pl. help.

I apologize for posting this several times, as I did not get a clear ans yet.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:24 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts p_kumar is infamous around these parts

Form W-9 is the IRS form used by a company to request your taxpayer identification number. You may get a blank Form W-9 to fill out if you or your company are hired to provide services to another company. Most often, Form W-9 is sent to independent contractors, consultants, and other self-employed workers.

Filling out a W-9 is pretty straightforward. Just provide your name and Social Security Number, or the name and Employer Identification Number of your business.

By submitting a W-9, you are certifying that the tax id number you are providing is correct and accurate and that you are not subject to backup withholding.

You can obtain a blank Form W-9 (PDF) to give to independent contractors you hire or to type and print out if you need to give one to your employer.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
Default I agree

Kumar: I agree with whatever you ve mentioned. But in the form, it clearly says that only U.S person can sign..What does it mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_kumar View Post
Form W-9 is the IRS form used by a company to request your taxpayer identification number. You may get a blank Form W-9 to fill out if you or your company are hired to provide services to another company. Most often, Form W-9 is sent to independent contractors, consultants, and other self-employed workers.

Filling out a W-9 is pretty straightforward. Just provide your name and Social Security Number, or the name and Employer Identification Number of your business.

By submitting a W-9, you are certifying that the tax id number you are providing is correct and accurate and that you are not subject to backup withholding.

You can obtain a blank Form W-9 (PDF) to give to independent contractors you hire or to type and print out if you need to give one to your employer.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
ritu_raj has much to be proud of ritu_raj has much to be proud of ritu_raj has much to be proud of ritu_raj has much to be proud of ritu_raj has much to be proud of ritu_raj has much to be proud of ritu_raj has much to be proud of ritu_raj has much to be proud of
Default US Person

US Person includes a resident alien and that should be your case.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2007
Compare
kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of kaisersose has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaraj View Post
Kumar: I agree with whatever you ve mentioned. But in the form, it clearly says that only U.S person can sign..What does it mean?
A US person does not mean US citizen. Your wife qualifies as she is living here and working here.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
leonimish is on a distinguished road

Defination of US Resident for Tax purposes, includes people who have been resident in US for more than 180 days. There are a couple of more conditions to determine if a person in US Resident but primarily the days present is US test is used. So I think your wife qualifies to be a US person.

Last edited by leonimish; 09-27-2007 at 07:44 PM. Reason: spell check

Old 09-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ilovestirfries is just really nice ilovestirfries is just really nice ilovestirfries is just really nice ilovestirfries is just really nice ilovestirfries is just really nice
Default I second this statement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonimish View Post
Defination of US Resident for Tax purposes, includes people who have been resident in US for more than 180 days. There are a couple of more conditions to determine if a person in US Resident but primarily the days present is US test is used. So I think your wife qualifies to be a US person.
I really do..I was given the exact same definition as above by a IRS official at the IRS office. By IRS laws, a US resident is one who takes up residence/lives in USA for more than 180 days in a calendar year. By that definition, your wife qualifies as US Resident to sign on IRS related forms.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default Publication 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovestirfries View Post
I really do..I was given the exact same definition as above by a IRS official at the IRS office. By IRS laws, a US resident is one who takes up residence/lives in USA for more than 180 days in a calendar year. By that definition, your wife qualifies as US Resident to sign on IRS related forms.

Hope this helps.
Guys,

Whoever has EAD and plans to learn a few things about taxes, go to IRS website and read Publication 17, the individual taxpayers guide.

Those who have filed taxes themselves (with paper and pencil, old school style, no software or H&R block or outside help) would know what I am talking about. I did that once just to learn how and why the system of individual taxes work. Its pretty interesting.

Most people think that IRS tax code is too long and complicated and just pluck down few hundred dollars and get it done by tax attorney/expert or Turbotax or HR block software. I do that too, but one year, I think in 2003, I did it myself just to learn. Besides, when you have just one W2, no dependents or deductibles, its really simple and can be done with Pub. 17 alone and 1040 EZ form.

IRS publication 17 has definition of what US resident means. There are many tests/conditions. If you have GC, you are resident. If you dont have GC but have been present for X number of days in last 36 months...or something, then too, you are considered to be resident for tax purposes (even though your immigration status is H1, L1) etc.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ilovestirfries is just really nice ilovestirfries is just really nice ilovestirfries is just really nice ilovestirfries is just really nice ilovestirfries is just really nice

I agree...Its always better to refer to the Source for clear definition...I was just giving my experience/opinion...

advertisement

Old 09-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
Default Thank you

I am really thankful for all ur replies.

Thanks much