Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP
Click to log in with Facebook
Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP. Comparison between keeping H1 versus forfeiting H1 and using EAD/AP after 485 filing.

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2007, 01:45 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
prabasiodia has a brilliant future prabasiodia has a brilliant future prabasiodia has a brilliant future prabasiodia has a brilliant future prabasiodia has a brilliant future prabasiodia has a brilliant future prabasiodia has a brilliant future prabasiodia has a brilliant future prabasiodia has a brilliant future prabasiodia has a brilliant future prabasiodia has a brilliant future
Default Rescind ITIN after getting SSN

This is not a question, rather is an FYI. I believe that many of you are in the same boat. If you’re on H-4 or similar dependant visa and are in US for more a year, you might have applied for and received an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) from IRS. Now that you’ve got an EAD and are applying for Social Security Number (SSN), what happens to your ITIN?

Refer to the publication 1915 of IRS (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1915.pdf). On page 6, the last sentence of first paragraph says that:

An alien individual cannot have both an ITIN and a SSN.

So you’ve to rescind your ITIN. The same publication tells us how. On page 18 it says:

Quote:
What steps do I have to take when I have an ITIN and become eligible for a Social Security Number?

Make proper application for a SSN and upon receipt advise the IRS ITIN Unit in writing of your new SSN. The new SSN will become the primary number and must be used for all future filing purposes. The IRS will void the ITIN. All prior tax information under the ITIN will be associated with the new SSN.
In case, you’re wondering about the address of ITIN unit, it’s there on page 8:

Quote:
Internal Revenue Service
ITIN Operation
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342
Now, there might be several questions popping in your head.

Q1) Does applying for and getting an SSN amount to “Using the EAD”?

No.

Q2) Does showing the SSN to DMV to get a Drivers’ License amount to “Using the EAD”?

No.

Q3) Does applying for a back account by giving the SSN amount to “Using the EAD”?

No.

Q4) Then what amounts to “Using the EAD”?

When you get employed.

Q5) How in the world USCIS knows that I am using the EAD?

Quite simple. Your employer has to submit W-9 and may require you to file W-4. Optionally your employer may be participating in DOS’s Citizen Attestation Verification Pilot (CAVP) or USCIS’s Systematic Alien Verification Entitlements (SAVE) program. With your SSN and/or A# required in all these, it’s a no-brainer.

Q6) When should I apply for an SSN after getting an EAD?

I recommend waiting a week. SSA is required to verify your credentials (mainly match the A# of EAD) in the SAVE database before they can issue the SSN. USCIS is notorious for SAVE database updation delays. Applying too soon will result in SSA filing form G-845 with USCIS for manual verification which will cause unnecessary delays. They move at the speed of a sloth.

Disclaimer: I am neither a lawyer nor pose as one. Use this information at your own risk.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2007, 08:05 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/18/2007
Compare
GC_Geek is on a distinguished road

Excellent post..
We are in the same boat and your Informative clarifications weighs real high..
BTW, non immigration but other financial side effects of ITIN to SSN are there..
I am sending letters to all credit bureauos to PORT the ITIN credit profile to SSN. also all banks and other financila institutions that I work with, required the SSN update...
Just to add my 2 cents for your wonderful posting..
Thanks,

Old 10-25-2007, 10:01 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
prabasiodia has a brilliant future prabasiodia has a brilliant future prabasiodia has a brilliant future prabasiodia has a brilliant future prabasiodia has a brilliant future prabasiodia has a brilliant future prabasiodia has a brilliant future prabasiodia has a brilliant future prabasiodia has a brilliant future prabasiodia has a brilliant future prabasiodia has a brilliant future

Great suggestion. Normally you would want to port your credit history unless there is damaging info in it.

Also if you're suffering from G-845 delays, it doesn't hurt to call SSA's 1800 number every 3/4 days and ask them to check the SAVE database with your A#. If they see it in SAVE, they'll probably issue the SSN without waiting for a response from USCIS.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2007
Compare
BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute BharatPremi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thanks

Thanks for creating this excellent thread.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:39 PM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Compare
GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold

Good post on educating folks here. Another step added to the life cycle of H4 holders.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
senk1s is a jewel in the rough senk1s is a jewel in the rough senk1s is a jewel in the rough senk1s is a jewel in the rough

good one prabasiodia !! I can definitley use this info. THANKS.

Jan 2005 - EB3-PD
140/485/EAD/AP - Applied concurrently (Nebraska)

Aug 16, 2007 - RD, Oct 3, 2007 - ND (all case #s are LIN-08-00)
FP date Nov 6 (done)
i765 self and spouse - approved Nov 23
i131 self and spouse - lud Oct 9, Jan 30, Jan 31- doc mailed email Feb 4

i140 - lud Oct 4, Dec 18
i485 self and spouse - lud Oct 9, Nov 7, Dec 18
i765 self and spouse renewal e-file ND/RD -Jul 28 FP Aug 16 Cards recd Aug 28

Old 10-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
indio0617 has a spectacular aura about indio0617 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by senk1s View Post
good one prabasiodia !! I can definitley use this info. THANKS.
Prabasodia.

This is all excellent info. Very thoughtfull of you.

Thanks!

Old 10-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold
Default Itin

Quote:
Originally Posted by indio0617 View Post
Prabasodia.

This is all excellent info. Very thoughtfull of you.

Thanks!
Good info on this thread.

My thoughts here.

If you refer to a copy of your ITIN, it clearly speicifes how to respond when you get your SSN.

I called IRS officer and he has asked to send a letter in writing why you would not like to use ITIN (becuase you got your SSN). provide details and attach a copy of your ITIN. I have even attached a copy of SSN, just in case.

Good luck to all.