Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > I-485, EAD/AP application, renewal and related > Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP
Click to log in with Facebook
Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP. Comparison between keeping H1 versus forfeiting H1 and using EAD/AP after 485 filing.

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
gxr is on a distinguished road
Default What is the diff. between Working on W2 vs Full time employment (using EAD) ?

After getting EAD,
What is the difference between working Fulltime at a new company vs Working on W2 for the same company ?
How does it matter during EAD renewal time ?

Any pointers would be really helpful.

gxr
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2008, 12:36 AM
Banned
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts

Full time means working on annual salary with benefits like vacation, Insurance etc. W2 means working hourly without benefits. Basically Persons will select w2 to make more money but with risk of unpaid bench. EAD does not matter for this. EAD is almost similar to green card in case of working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxr View Post
After getting EAD,
What is the difference between working Fulltime at a new company vs Working on W2 for the same company ?

gxr

Old 01-03-2008, 03:07 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2007
Chargeability
:
Bangladesh
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2007
Compare
mhtanim will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxr View Post
After getting EAD,

gxr
Working 40 hours per week for a company generally makes you a full time employee of that company. As a full time employee, you may be entitled to get additional employee benefits such as few weeks of paid vacation, medical insurance, 401K etc. If you are working full time for a company, you will get a W2 at the end of the year that you will use to file your tax returns.

If you want to work like a consultant on hourly basis, you will normally not be considered a full time employee and you do not get employee benefits mentioned above. This type of work is known as "Professional Services" where you will be considered as Independent Contractor and you will be issued 1099 at the end of the year instead of W2.

Tax consequences are very different between a W2 employee and 1099 employee.

If you decide to switch to EAD and give up H or L status, you can work for multiple employees however you want. For instance: you can work full-time as a W2 employee for company A, and then part-time 1099 employee for company B.

I don't think USCIS will care about your jobs when you will renew your EAD. However, at your I-485 final stage, they may issues a RFE where they may want you to show that the GC application job duties are similar to your current job duties.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/18/2007
Compare
GC_Geek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhtanim View Post
Working 40 hours per week for a company generally makes you a full time employee of that company. As a full time employee, you may be entitled to get additional employee benefits such as few weeks of paid vacation, medical insurance, 401K etc. If you are working full time for a company, you will get a W2 at the end of the year that you will use to file your tax returns.

If you want to work like a consultant on hourly basis, you will normally not be considered a full time employee and you do not get employee benefits mentioned above. This type of work is known as "Professional Services" where you will be considered as Independent Contractor and you will be issued 1099 at the end of the year instead of W2.

Tax consequences are very different between a W2 employee and 1099 employee.

If you decide to switch to EAD and give up H or L status, you can work for multiple employees however you want. For instance: you can work full-time as a W2 employee for company A, and then part-time 1099 employee for company B.

I don't think USCIS will care about your jobs when you will renew your EAD. However, at your I-485 final stage, they may issues a RFE where they may want you to show that the GC application job duties are similar to your current job duties.

Excellent answer, appreciate you for taking time to explain this
Thanks