Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Action Items for everyone
Click to log in with Facebook
Action Items for everyone Webfaxes, phone campaigns and other directives from core group.

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB1A
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/04/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/04/2006
Compare
sagar96 will become famous soon enough
Default Citizenship wait of extra 5 years for people already stucked in backlog

Hi,
We all know that so many people are stucked due to this backlog and inefficient system. Some of them have spent over 5 years (counting from priority date) waiting for the green card. It would be worse for these people to wait additional 5 years to get their citizenship. I believe it would make sense to reduce the waiting time for these people by counting 5 years from their priority date or something of that sort. Would it make sense to work with senators and congressmen to have some kind of ruling on this front to ease this pain?
Please let us know your opinion.

Thanks
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2008, 09:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
Afghanistan
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Compare
xbohdpukc is on a distinguished road

not gonna happen, what's the point?

Old 06-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagar96 View Post
Hi,
We all know that so many people are stucked due to this backlog and inefficient system. Some of them have spent over 5 years (counting from priority date) waiting for the green card. It would be worse for these people to wait additional 5 years to get their citizenship. I believe it would make sense to reduce the waiting time for these people by counting 5 years from their priority date or something of that sort. Would it make sense to work with senators and congressmen to have some kind of ruling on this front to ease this pain?

Thanks
I like your idea. But, I think it will be a really hard sell.

Total contibution to IV so far: $550.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/26/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Compare
Nil is a glorious beacon of light Nil is a glorious beacon of light Nil is a glorious beacon of light Nil is a glorious beacon of light Nil is a glorious beacon of light Nil is a glorious beacon of light

It certainly makes sense to go after this - some people get through a lottery.
Others like us pay our dues, taxes included for 7-8-10 yrs and then join the queue for extra 5 yrs to get a citizenship.
This is unfair. Can IV look into this matter. If the norms are eased for folks who have been law abiding and tax paying residents for 10 yrs, why not get a shot at citizenship from then on?

Old 06-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB1A
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/04/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/04/2006
Compare
sagar96 will become famous soon enough

I believe it would really ease pain of those people who have either go sucked due to labor substitution or namecheck or July fiasco or for any other matter.

If a person has already spent 5 years or so (from priority date or whatever waiting date) and also lived for significant number of years, it would make sense to let them apply for Citizenship.

advertisement

Old 06-18-2008, 06:20 AM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/28/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all
Post Why not ask to convert all I485 pending more than 5 yrs to N400?

Why not ask to automatically convert all I485 pending more than 5 yrs to N400? Just my thoughts
I485 Appl Mailed - 5Jul2007
I485 Appl ND - 7Sep2007
FP date -??
I485 Approval - ??

Old 06-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
gccovet has a reputation beyond repute gccovet has a reputation beyond repute gccovet has a reputation beyond repute gccovet has a reputation beyond repute gccovet has a reputation beyond repute gccovet has a reputation beyond repute gccovet has a reputation beyond repute gccovet has a reputation beyond repute gccovet has a reputation beyond repute gccovet has a reputation beyond repute gccovet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjoe View Post
Why not ask to automatically convert all I485 pending more than 5 yrs to N400? Just my thoughts
We all would wish that!

We all know, that ain't gonna happen!!!

GCCovet

Old 06-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of
Default good point...

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
There is nothing wrong in asking! Crying baby gets milk!
Attended the Advocacy days in DC - 2011

Old 06-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
H1bslave is a splendid one to behold H1bslave is a splendid one to behold H1bslave is a splendid one to behold H1bslave is a splendid one to behold H1bslave is a splendid one to behold H1bslave is a splendid one to behold H1bslave is a splendid one to behold

OMG you get US Passport before GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjoe View Post

Old 06-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2007
Compare
pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of
Default Legal People

People who have been legal and have had no problems with the law for 10 -12years should be given direct Citzen ship..I know McCain had this clause in one of his Bills ..no harm in trying..we dont need to make assumptions..we can try this one..very beneficial for lots of people stuck in the Queue from 2001..and its only fair and just that this is done...

I guess we need to start writing to senators about this

Great Idea and an workable one..once the envirnment loosens after the election everything is possible

advertisement

Old 06-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/20/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts
Default GC_Lite

but who wants the citizenship!

or..

Lets say US introduces GC_lite:
where in ppll opting for this GC will forgo the right to apply for citenship for good.. you can be a permanent resident permanently..but never a citizen..ta da...

so you c sagar..we all can get brilliant ideas..but the point is keep the focus..

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks

Old 06-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/13/2007
Compare
LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute LostInGCProcess has a reputation beyond repute

If they allow unrestricted travel to other countries for any amount of time( not 4 months, not 6months, not 2 years, not x years)...then, i believe, nobody would go after the US citizenship.

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks

Old 06-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rsdang has much to be proud of rsdang has much to be proud of rsdang has much to be proud of rsdang has much to be proud of rsdang has much to be proud of rsdang has much to be proud of rsdang has much to be proud of rsdang has much to be proud of rsdang has much to be proud of rsdang has much to be proud of
Arrow Great Idea... 5 years from 485 Filing

I think ita a great idea and we should talk to some legal experts to understand what would be a good starting point and lets propose to some law makers...

Maybe somethinglike 8 years from date of 485 Filing you application is converted to a citizenship application

Or

You can file for citizenship immediately after getting GC if you have been pending for 5 years since filing 485...

Other ideas welcome...

WI State Chapter - http://groups.google.com/group/iv-wi-mw?hl=en

Old 06-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-00
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Afghanistan
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lord_labaku will become famous soon enough

Canada counts legal residency prior to obtaining PR with a 50% weight for your citizenship criteria; US can adopt something similar.

Unlike GC, citizenship will have better pull (it already does as USCIS is working on weekends to clear citizenship backlogs !!!!). Thats because of the vote bank that citizens offer. (This will be the bane of any democratic system - but I am digressing)

My opinion is that such a change can only occur when a comprehensive legislation that includes illegal immigrants moves forward.

Also think that it will take until 2010 for any such comprehensive immigration reform to gather much momentum in congress.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2008
Compare
Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all Humhongekamyab is a name known to all

I think it is a very good. It is something that will help everybody.

I know Australia too has something similar to this. It is worth the try; no harm in trying.