Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > 140 stage > Priority dates transfers and Post 140-approval options
Click to log in with Facebook
Priority dates transfers and Post 140-approval options Discussion related to transferring priority date of old green card file to a new file after 140 approval.

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1_b_visa_holder has a reputation beyond repute h1_b_visa_holder has a reputation beyond repute h1_b_visa_holder has a reputation beyond repute h1_b_visa_holder has a reputation beyond repute h1_b_visa_holder has a reputation beyond repute h1_b_visa_holder has a reputation beyond repute h1_b_visa_holder has a reputation beyond repute h1_b_visa_holder has a reputation beyond repute h1_b_visa_holder has a reputation beyond repute h1_b_visa_holder has a reputation beyond repute h1_b_visa_holder has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need suggestions if it is worth changing job after I-140 approval

I am EB2-I I-140 Approve, Priority Date of June 2009.

I have completed 6 years on H1 and recently got 3 year extension till Sep 2013. I am working for a small consulting company and the salary is also decent.

However, I have got a great offer, not much salary difference, but the location is in the city where I have lived earlier and I would love to go back. There will be about 50% travel involved though... With my current company I have to move from city to city after 1 year or so... The new job I have is the kind of profile and work which I love.

Do you guys think If I change this job, will I loose my priority date. My new company may not start GC processing right away as I join. They may wait one year before they file the new PERM and I-140. Will I be able to retain my priority date. I am trying to negotiate immediate GC filing but as of now they are saying they have to wait one year.

Guys please suggest what you think.... Is it too risky to change my job at this point.. Will I lose my priority date.

Do you guys think I might miss the bus in case the dates become current between now and when I file my new labor & I-140
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2011
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of uma001 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1_b_visa_holder View Post

I have completed 6 years on H1 and recently got 3 year extension till Sep 2013. I am working for a small consulting company and the salary is also decent.

However, I have got a great offer, not much salary difference, but the location is in the city where I have lived earlier and I would love to go back. There will be about 50% travel involved though... With my current company I have to move from city to city after 1 year or so... The new job I have is the kind of profile and work which I love.

Do you guys think If I change this job, will I loose my priority date. My new company may not start GC processing right away as I join. They may wait one year before they file the new PERM and I-140. Will I be able to retain my priority date. I am trying to negotiate immediate GC filing but as of now they are saying they have to wait one year.

Guys please suggest what you think.... Is it too risky to change my job at this point.. Will I lose my priority date.

Do you guys think I might miss the bus in case the dates become current between now and when I file my new labor & I-140
Dont trust any company if they say they will start GC processing after 6 months or one year.I know which company you r talking about.Name starts with 'C'. I suggest to stick with current company until you get EAD

Total contributions $120

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute ramaonline has a reputation beyond repute

If your I140 is approved you can retain the priority date on a new I140 application

You must get a new labor approved from the current employer

USCIS - Petition Filing and Processing Procedures for Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker
I140 approval Oct 2006
I485 filed Jul 2 07
I485 approved on Jul 25 2011
Received green cards on Jul 28 2011

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/05/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
peacocklover is infamous around these parts peacocklover is infamous around these parts peacocklover is infamous around these parts peacocklover is infamous around these parts peacocklover is infamous around these parts peacocklover is infamous around these parts peacocklover is infamous around these parts
Default It's not worth, please wait until you get your EAD.

well said. 100% agree. I got the similar bad experience in this regard. Better to stick until you get your EAD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uma001 View Post
Dont trust any company if they say they will start GC processing after 6 months or one year.I know which company you r talking about.Name starts with 'C'. I suggest to stick with current company until you get EAD

Old 10-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/30/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pbuckeye has a reputation beyond repute pbuckeye has a reputation beyond repute pbuckeye has a reputation beyond repute pbuckeye has a reputation beyond repute pbuckeye has a reputation beyond repute pbuckeye has a reputation beyond repute pbuckeye has a reputation beyond repute pbuckeye has a reputation beyond repute pbuckeye has a reputation beyond repute pbuckeye has a reputation beyond repute pbuckeye has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
First up, since your I-140 is approved, you have your priority date secured.

Even though I have been burned by a similar promise by a fortune company, I would suggest looking at it from a career advancement perspective. If its what you would love to do and you are getting that opportunity, I would say go for it. If you play it right, you can keep your GC process on track at the same time. It will be a while before your PD gets current, so don't worry about missing the bus.

If things don't work out, you can always come back to consulting (still keeping your priority date). At least you won't regret a missed opportunity.

advertisement

Old 10-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/29/2012
Compare
smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

If GC is priority - stick with ur current job.

If job, salary, growth are a priority - change as needed.

When companies say they will file GC, many things can change from now and then and they might say that they can't do it or even sometime the HR who you talk to changes....so it's all luck.

What's ur prinority is what matters

Old 10-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/06/2013
Compare
SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute SGP has a reputation beyond repute
Default I-140 Retention

Quote:

Will your old company retain your approved I-140? OR will they revoke it. There are some confusions in this area as far as retaining the PD is concerned. Some say that if the old company revokes your approved I-140 before your new company files for new I-140 then you loose the priority date. Some say that even if old company revokes your approved I-140 then the USCIS will consider your old priority date unless USCIS themselves cancel the approved I-140 on the basis that there was fraudulent filing by the old company. I will suggest speak to an attorney for clarifications and then decide my friend.
I140 Receipt Date:Jul 26, '07
I140 Approved Date:Apr 8, '08
2nd I140 Receipt Date:Jul 22, '11
I140 RFE Date:Mar 6, '12
I140 Approved Date:May 23, '12
I-485 Mailed Date:Feb 6, '13 Finally
I-485 Receipt Date:Feb 7, '13
I-485 Notice Date:Feb 12, '13
EAD & Advance Parole Approval:Mar 2, '13
EAD & Advance Parole Combo Card Recd Date:Mar 8, '13 (valid for 1 year)
Finger Print Notice date:Mar 29, '13

Old 10-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1_b_visa_holder has a reputation beyond repute h1_b_visa_holder has a reputation beyond repute h1_b_visa_holder has a reputation beyond repute h1_b_visa_holder has a reputation beyond repute h1_b_visa_holder has a reputation beyond repute h1_b_visa_holder has a reputation beyond repute h1_b_visa_holder has a reputation beyond repute h1_b_visa_holder has a reputation beyond repute h1_b_visa_holder has a reputation beyond repute h1_b_visa_holder has a reputation beyond repute h1_b_visa_holder has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGP View Post
Will your old company retain your approved I-140? OR will they revoke it. There are some confusions in this area as far as retaining the PD is concerned. Some say that if the old company revokes your approved I-140 before your new company files for new I-140 then you loose the priority date. Some say that even if old company revokes your approved I-140 then the USCIS will consider your old priority date unless USCIS themselves cancel the approved I-140 on the basis that there was fraudulent filing by the old company. I will suggest speak to an attorney for clarifications and then decide my friend.
Just give you some more details about my situation...

Current Company - Small Indian Company. They started my GC as soon as I joined them in my 6th year on H1 which helped me with 3 yr extension. I was working for an american company before that. I am very thankful to them. Job profile is decent.

Prospective Company - Mid Sized Indian Company. It is not "C". Their history of PERMS (from flcdatacenter) is very less but they are figuring it out within their company at this point. This is what I am thinking. I will say Yes only if they agree to start GC processing right away. If they say 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, they may drag it.
Positive with new company, different job profile. Instead of delivery it will give me an opportunity in technical sales and thus I will be able to get more experience. Ofcourse there is travel involved..

Also, my current I 140 is less than 6 months old. Do you think if my current company withdraws, will it be an issue in H1 Transfer (9th yr) and 140 porting. Incidentally, there is an article on murthy this Friday about the same thing but it doesnt say anything about cancellation of previous I 140.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:52 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Friends.. I would appreciate your suggestions / feedback / experiences.

It is a tough decision for me to make

Old 10-14-2010, 10:10 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute
Default donot trust any one who promise to file after -- C company bluffed 5 of my friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by uma001 View Post
He is 100% right
C company bluffed all most 5 of my friends.. All were worked as consultants in a reputed Boston based mutual fund company.. Then C entered as offshore partner and then pulled few consultants [who were with client] by promising G filing after one year that too on EB2..Then all of sudden [i.e. after one year] they said, you need higher amount salary to file Eb2 so we will file only one Eb3. Friends even ready for eb3,, but they keep on delayed by telling silly reasons [manager on leave,, temporary self moritorium to file GC as new england region not performing well,, some time even Resume is not good etc]..
The above information is from my friends 100% genuine.. I was with them all most 3 1/2 years.. They are crying a lot

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Thanks for the reply.

It is not "C" but it is a similar company (top 50 in DQ list).

I am still negotiating on GC and they are checking with their legal team. I have decided that I will take the offer only if they agree they will start GC on day 1 of my joining. Otherwise, I am hopeful of getting EAD in the next 2-3 years.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute vishwak has a reputation beyond repute
Default All the best

Take wise decision.

The company you are going to join doesn't have history and can't get your Labor approved soon, you will have issues. Think about company also before joining.

My post is NOT legal advice and it's my personal opinion.
Take Advise from Immigration Attorney.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/28/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
feedfront has a spectacular aura about feedfront has a spectacular aura about feedfront has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Just give you some more details about my situation...

Current Company - Small Indian Company. They started my GC as soon as I joined them in my 6th year on H1 which helped me with 3 yr extension. I was working for an american company before that. I am very thankful to them. Job profile is decent.

cancellation of previous I 140.
Can you join after they file? If answer is yes then join otherwise I'll say don't trust them..

Old 10-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedfront View Post
Can you join after they file? If answer is yes then join otherwise I'll say don't trust them..
Can they start GC processing even before I join? I am not sure if they will agree. What if they say we will start as soon as you join

Old 10-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/28/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
feedfront has a spectacular aura about feedfront has a spectacular aura about feedfront has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Can they start GC processing even before I join? I am not sure if they will agree. What if they say we will start as soon as you join
Yes, they can start GC before you join. It's for future employment. You can promise them that you would reimburse fees, if you don't join after filing.