Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/04/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/31/2008
Compare
sidd is infamous around these parts sidd is infamous around these parts sidd is infamous around these parts sidd is infamous around these parts sidd is infamous around these parts
Default ECR/ECNR Stamp in Passport

My wife and I recently got our passports renewed at the Indian Washington DC Embassy. Both the new passports are missing the ECR/ECNR stamp. Our prev. passports have ECNR stamp. Even in the applications ECNR was checked. But the new passports do not have any of these stamps. So the question is....Is this stamp no longer required in the Indian Passports or NO stamp implies that the status is ECNR (Emigration Clearance not Required).

I would really appreciate if folks who have got their passports renewed lately can throw some light on this.

Thanks.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Compare
lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold
Default Ecnr

I think you should be fine :

This is from the Indian Govt website:

Source: http://www.immigrationindia.nic.in/ECNR_ECR_POE.htm

"As per the Emigration Act, 1983, Emigration Check Required (ECR) categories of Indian passport holders, require to obtain "Emigration Clearance" from the office of Protector of Emigrants (POE), Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs for going to following 18 countries.

United Arab Emirates (UAE), The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA), Qatar, Oman, Kuwait, Bahrain, Malaysia, Libya, Jordan, Yemen, Sudan, Brunei, Afghanistan, Indonesia, Syria, Lebanon, Thailand, Iraq (emigration banned).

However , the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (Emigration Policy Division) have allowed ECR passport holders traveling abroad for purposes others than employment to leave the country on production of valid passport, valid visa and return ticket at the immigration counters at international airports in India w.e.f. 1st October 2007.

Nowadays, RPOs are issuing Indian passports either with endorsement of “Emigration Check Required” or no endorsement of “Emigration Check Required” in the passport. POE clearance is required only when there is “Emigration Check Required” endorsement in the passport"

Old 06-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/04/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute sparky_jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nowadays no ECNR stamp means you are ECNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidd View Post
My wife and I recently got our passports renewed at the Indian Washington DC Embassy. Both the new passports are missing the ECR/ECNR stamp. Our prev. passports have ECNR stamp. Even in the applications ECNR was checked. But the new passports do not have any of these stamps. So the question is....Is this stamp no longer required in the Indian Passports or NO stamp implies that the status is ECNR (Emigration Clearance not Required).

I would really appreciate if folks who have got their passports renewed lately can throw some light on this.

Thanks.
For Indian passports issued in 2007 or later, the lack of an ECNR endorsement in the passport implies that the holder is exempt from Emigration Check requirements. This used to be the reverse in earlier passports, where the lack of an ECNR endorsement implied that the holder was subject to Emigration Check.

So, you are fine without the ENCR stamp.
New EB2 I-140 Approved: 12/5/2011 (TSC)
Interfiled 12/15/2012
Greened on Feb 10, 2012!
Total Contribution: $200

Old 06-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Compare
webm will become famous soon enough
Default thanks

Good to know about this..thanks for the news!!