Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > News articles and reports
Click to log in with Facebook
News articles and reports News articles, op-eds, reports on issues of immigration.

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 12:32 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
amitskumar has a brilliant future amitskumar has a brilliant future amitskumar has a brilliant future amitskumar has a brilliant future amitskumar has a brilliant future amitskumar has a brilliant future amitskumar has a brilliant future amitskumar has a brilliant future amitskumar has a brilliant future amitskumar has a brilliant future amitskumar has a brilliant future
Default March for Innovation

I signed up today at March for Innovation.

I thought this is an excellent initiative.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute

Good, I signed up too.

But I believe they would mostly only target Start Up Visa and STEM. It might not deal with the plight of the people hanging on the branches of the green tree for eons . That would be made heard only probably on the IV Advocacy day

Old 02-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingcrow View Post
Good, I signed up too.

But I believe they would mostly only target Start Up Visa and STEM. It might not deal with the plight of the people hanging on the branches of the green tree for eons . That would be made heard only probably on the IV Advocacy day
Both StartUp visa and STEM visa drafts had problems in the past in my opinion and we should oppose if it does not help us.

StartUp visa did not adequately represent the interest of immigrants. It mostly represented the interest of venture capitalists. The earlier draft showed that venture capitalists will have lot of control over the immigrant. Innovation cannot happen when VC controls the business.

STEM ideas too is good to talk over lunch meetings and speeches, but impractical in the way some advocates present it. Anything with unlimited quota is not going to fly and could harm other provisions. Unlimited STEM people will lower the wages of entire tech industry. While this is good for companies and trade groups but bad for the country.

Best course of action is for these advocates to continue to talk with IV and come up with proposals that take into account the best interest of the end user of the visa that is immigrant. People should not be thinking of ideas that ignore the best interest of the end user and think more about the interest groups like lawyers, companies or trade groups.

We should not sign up and oppose them. Ask them to support IV if clarify if they represent just business or immigrants too?

Old 02-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute

"Unlimited STEM people will lower the wages of entire tech industry."

Are you sure? the provision to increase echOneBee limit from 65 to 300 should worry you or anybody here more. That is the one item which will open up the drain not the STEM in my opinion.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingcrow View Post
"Unlimited STEM people will lower the wages of entire tech industry."

Are you sure? the provision to increase echOneBee limit from 65 to 300 should worry you or anybody here more. That is the one item which will open up the drain not the STEM in my opinion.
Increase of H1B is a favorite issue of companies. They want this more than any greencard backlog solution. We need a time out on all H1B increase unless the backlog problem is taken care of. By increase of H1B without first clearing backlog, you are increasing chances of exploitation and lower wages for American workers. This is why I say lawmakers must talk to immigrants and find out the ground reality. Unlimited STEM visas and slogans like stapling greencard to diploma are good speech lines. Every fourth person in this world is STEM person. So are you allowing everyone to immigrate?

What kind of STEM need clarity. Is it IT consulting types or scientists? More scientists will also hurt US innovation if they are not paid well. Look at how much post-docs get paid these days. This is why few few people go into research. Most post docs are from other countries who work for lower salary.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute

IT consulting companies do not innovate. STEM should be redefined. Tell one IT consulting company who has created a software on its own, a browser, operating system? They only produce workers from other countries and take a lot of H1B visas. The backlog problem is because of these companies. Staple greencards to employees of Google, Microsoft etc and not employees of Satyam, Infosys and desi consulting companies. Where are anti-immigrants to get this implemented when you need one?

Old 02-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingnwaiting View Post
IT consulting companies do not innovate. STEM should be redefined. Tell one IT consulting company who has created a software on its own, a browser, operating system? They only produce workers from other countries and take a lot of H1B visas. The backlog problem is because of these companies. Staple greencards to employees of Google, Microsoft etc and not employees of Satyam, Infosys and desi consulting companies. Where are anti-immigrants to get this implemented when you need one?
IT consulting companies do that one thing which most other companies dont: They bring the people here on their risk, and they navigate the tedious immigration laws. The immigration laws themselves are responsible for this state of affairs, because it joins the people ("resources") and the companies at the hip -- a thing which is unusual and even unacceptable within the industry
Now, I am no fan of the "IT consulting companies" -- but just bringing a perspective for what it is worth to you!

Old 02-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/28/2011
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
CKR can only hope to improve

Quote:
It is your ignorance if you think innovation is only technical and involves creating a product.I have seen countless business changing innovations from people who work at IT and tech consulting companies .
An IT company is given a contract most of the times because they tend to change the client side back end way of doing things improving the efficiency and performance of the processes.

Non tech Consulting companies like Delloitte innovate with changing business models.

Fyi, i donot work for a consulting firm but have worked alongside them in the past.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Product companies make products, Service/Consulting Companies offer services which can be process/business/software development. Now what exactly is your point of concern?

The business here demanded 65+20K visa per year back in the 90s, now it is demanding more. If there is a demand, an industry will grow to cater it. So if the demand increases to 300k, obviously there would be more companies bringing in people. Now you cannot blame the companies that use the opportunity.

Now who or what is this industry demanding additional visas, its not IV, its companies like Microsoft, Texas Instruments. Why? of course because they have vacancy to fill or they want to keep the salaries low. Now what will you blame the cause or the effect?

More tight guidelines are required on Visa and Green Card front, so that not any Tom and Harry gets through it, but once they jump through all the hoops, the system must be straight forward in letting them get what it promised them without years of wait and drag.