Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > Sept 18th Rally: Car-pooling, Group Reservations for Air travel, hotel etc.
Click to log in with Facebook
Sept 18th Rally: Car-pooling, Group Reservations for Air travel, hotel etc. This forums is for threads that are pertinent to Sept 18th rally. If you want to carpool to DC, travel by Air and looking for group reservation for cheaper rates with other members in your city, group reservation for Hotels, rental cars etc, please put threads here and then communicate with local IV members.

advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 10:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ppatil is on a distinguished road
Default Extending wife's stay in US, need advice

Let me start with some background. My wife has a masters from a US university. She has used her OPT from that masters. Her employer filed H1B at wrong address and by the time he re-filed at the correct location, the H1B cap was full in 2011. So she had to go back to school. She is doing a certification course which will be over by March 15th 2013. She is working full time as part of CPT. She cannot get OPT thru cert course.
My status:
My priority date is Sept 2006 EB3. I just filed for labor cert under EB2. I have a 2 yr EAD/AP card. My questions are:
1. If I go on H1B and she goes on H4, does she need to go out of the country to get approval (I heard this from a friend of mine).
2. I believe I can apply for both visas concurrently. We will apply under premium process. In that case, once we get the notice of receipt, is she allowed to continue with her stay in the US till a decision is made by USCIS on the visas.
3. If I go on H1B, can I travel on AP or do I need to go for stamping and my AP becomes void.
4. Are there any other options to extend her stay here.
5. Can she do another masters and get a CPT and continue her job.
Thanks in advance.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 08:07 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
andycool is a name known to all andycool is a name known to all andycool is a name known to all andycool is a name known to all andycool is a name known to all andycool is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppatil View Post
Let me start with some background. My wife has a masters from a US university. She has used her OPT from that masters. Her employer filed H1B at wrong address and by the time he re-filed at the correct location, the H1B cap was full in 2011. So she had to go back to school. She is doing a certification course which will be over by March 15th 2013. She is working full time as part of CPT. She cannot get OPT thru cert course.
My status:
My priority date is Sept 2006 EB3. I just filed for labor cert under EB2. I have a 2 yr EAD/AP card. My questions are:
1. If I go on H1B and she goes on H4, does she need to go out of the country to get approval (I heard this from a friend of mine).
2. I believe I can apply for both visas concurrently. We will apply under premium process. In that case, once we get the notice of receipt, is she allowed to continue with her stay in the US till a decision is made by USCIS on the visas.
3. If I go on H1B, can I travel on AP or do I need to go for stamping and my AP becomes void.
4. Are there any other options to extend her stay here.
5. Can she do another masters and get a CPT and continue her job.
Thanks in advance.

I have couple of questions for you ..
1) If you file for your H1b and H4 for your wife if she gets I 94 with her approval she need not go out .
2) does your wife use all her 27 months OPT??
3) she can file for H1 again in this April ...( if she can stay leglly till then )

Old 01-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ppatil is on a distinguished road

Thanks andycool.
She has not used all of the 27 months. But she let her opt expire the first time and the H1-B visa was filed by her employer in the grace period. She spoke to her school international advisot and they said she cannot use the rest of the OPT bcos it was expired. Is that true?
She has grace period after her semester gets over on March 15th. If her employer applys for H1-B and it gets approved can she stay her till October and start work then. Thanks again.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/06/2012
Compare
krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute

One big question is , how is she working on CPT for a certificate program ? As I understand, you are not even entitled to F1 for a certificate program . Is she studying in an unaccredited school?