Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Non Immigrant Visas : H1, L1, H4, L2, F1 etc > Visitor and business visa
Click to log in with Facebook
advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Iak123 is infamous around these parts
Default Question regarding purchasing tickets for Parents

Hi All,
Please can somebody tell me when purchasing airline tickets for my parents. Do I need to buy a open ticket valid for six months or do I have to buy a ticket with fixed dates. I am lost any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
la_guy is a jewel in the rough la_guy is a jewel in the rough la_guy is a jewel in the rough

You can buy a ticket, which has a hard return date after six months. After they come here, you can again reschedule earlier or later. I know cathay pacific allows to reschedule any number of times for free...

Old 06-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/05/2007
Compare
crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of

If he buys a ticket with a return date AFTER 6 months from date of initial travel into the US, the officer at the POE (if he looks at the tickets) may not allow them into the country. Do not choose any date more than 6 months from initial date.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/02/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future

Yes, the return ticket have to be *within* 6 months rather than after 6 months.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
United States
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
priderock is an unknown quantity at this point

In talking to multiple travel agents, I don't think there is such a thing called "open ticket". I guess there is always a return date and most air lines will allow you to reschedule, some for free and some for a charge based on your ticket class.

The 6 months return validity suggestion above is valid, assuming they are on a visit visa (not have a GC themselves . when my parents came they only have the ticket for 4 months and the officer at POE gave them 6 months on the departure card.

advertisement

Old 06-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Qatar allows free change for first time

I booked for my parents and deal was 700 USD for return from India to JFk + 1 free reschedule and second one for 30 USD ...

Old 06-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/08/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/26/2007
Compare
VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts VivekAhuja is infamous around these parts
Default No need

No need of open ticket or anything like that. Just make sure they have all their papers intact and do not over stay. Days of Open Tickets are gone as far as POE or Consulate is concerned.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
browncow is a jewel in the rough browncow is a jewel in the rough browncow is a jewel in the rough browncow is a jewel in the rough

Most airline allow one free date change. You might just need to pay processing fee (20-40 bucks) for the change.
But a confirmed return ticket is needed for passengers travelling on visitor visas.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Iak123 is infamous around these parts

Thank You All for responding. That is very helpful

Old 09-18-2009, 11:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
chantu is a splendid one to behold chantu is a splendid one to behold chantu is a splendid one to behold chantu is a splendid one to behold chantu is a splendid one to behold chantu is a splendid one to behold chantu is a splendid one to behold

I am planning to book tickets for my parents travelling from India to US and returning back to India after 2 months. I have some questions:

1) Is it necessary to book tickets in India?

2) If not, Can I book tickets through orbitz or expedia in the US and send them the e-tickets?

Please reply with your experiences.

Thanks in advance!

advertisement

Old 09-19-2009, 04:00 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/29/2007
Compare
vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of vikki76 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chantu View Post
I am planning to book tickets for my parents travelling from India to US and returning back to India after 2 months. I have some questions:

2) If not, Can I book tickets through orbitz or expedia in the US and send them the e-tickets?

Thanks in advance!
you can book from expedia/orbitz. We recently booked on American Airlines for parents.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future a_yaja has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chantu View Post

Thanks in advance!
I have booked tickets on orbitz.com for my parents and cheaptickets.com for my in-laws. Both were eTickets and there were no problems. I preferred to pay in USD over INR due to the fact that visa/ mastercard charge a 1% transaction fee for international currency and my bank would have screwed me on the exchange rate.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
chantu is a splendid one to behold chantu is a splendid one to behold chantu is a splendid one to behold chantu is a splendid one to behold chantu is a splendid one to behold chantu is a splendid one to behold chantu is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the responses guys!

I can see cheaper tickets on orbitz than many travelling agents in my city in India. I will go ahead and book the tickets through orbitz. I will also look into the suggestion of Rajesh before booking from orbitz.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rajeshalex is infamous around these parts rajeshalex is infamous around these parts rajeshalex is infamous around these parts rajeshalex is infamous around these parts rajeshalex is infamous around these parts rajeshalex is infamous around these parts

Another thing. Since the ticket starts from India base fare will be in INR and when u buy online the credit card company converts $ into INR. Usually credit card company exchange rate is lower than the ones provided by HDFC and other banks.

Also check for foreign transaction charges imposed by credit card companies..

Old 09-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
narendra_modi is infamous around these parts narendra_modi is infamous around these parts narendra_modi is infamous around these parts narendra_modi is infamous around these parts narendra_modi is infamous around these parts narendra_modi is infamous around these parts narendra_modi is infamous around these parts narendra_modi is infamous around these parts narendra_modi is infamous around these parts narendra_modi is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc_on_demand View Post
I booked for my parents and deal was 700 USD for return from India to JFk + 1 free reschedule and second one for 30 USD ...
Curious to know, how do people get such a nice deal ? If you don't mind, can you please share the secret, was this deal online ? Which site ? Usually when you get such a deal ? Thanks.