Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Contact Media Latest Posts Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Towards Citizenship > Life after Greencard
Click to log in with Facebook
advertisement

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 10000 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
Please contribute to Immigration Voice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
nsg is infamous around these parts
Default Travel to India when passports expiring within 6 months

My Wife, Daughter, and I are traveling from Washington, Dulles to Bengaluru, India starting from the first week of August and returning in the first week of September. My Wife and I have Green cards while my Daughter is a US citizen with PIO card. Here are the issues. My Wife’s Indian passport expires around Jan 15 2012 while my Daughter’s US passport expires around Nov 10 2011. Assuming I do not get the passports extended, what are the possible problems we might face?

I have 2 possible itineraries. One via Doha using Qatar Airways and the other Option is Dulles (United Airways) – Hyderabad (United Airways) – Bengaluru (United Airways).

What do you think I should do? Has anyone gone through the same situation? Would my Daughter or Wife face issues while leaving from here or returning from India at any point (Dulles, Hyderabad, Bengaluru). Would the Airlines Qatar, United, Jet.) have any issues with the status? I checked with the US passport line and they said that they do not have any issues letting in a US citizen if the passport is expiring.

Please advise.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/05/2011
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2007
Compare
sreedhar has much to be proud of sreedhar has much to be proud of sreedhar has much to be proud of sreedhar has much to be proud of sreedhar has much to be proud of sreedhar has much to be proud of sreedhar has much to be proud of sreedhar has much to be proud of sreedhar has much to be proud of sreedhar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsg View Post
My Wife, Daughter, and I are traveling from Washington, Dulles to Bengaluru, India starting from the first week of August and returning in the first week of September. My Wife and I have Green cards while my Daughter is a US citizen with PIO card. Here are the issues. My Wife’s Indian passport expires around Jan 15 2012 while my Daughter’s US passport expires around Nov 10 2011. Assuming I do not get the passports extended, what are the possible problems we might face?

I have 2 possible itineraries. One via Doha using Qatar Airways and the other Option is Dulles (United Airways) – Hyderabad (United Airways) – Bengaluru (United Airways).

What do you think I should do? Has anyone gone through the same situation? Would my Daughter or Wife face issues while leaving from here or returning from India at any point (Dulles, Hyderabad, Bengaluru). Would the Airlines Qatar, United, Jet.) have any issues with the status? I checked with the US passport line and they said that they do not have any issues letting in a US citizen if the passport is expiring.

Please advise.
You should be fine. Minimum 6 months passport validity required if you requested for VISA. In your case all are GC\Citizenship holders you are OK.

Immigration or Airline Guys do not have any RIGHT to ask or stop you...as long as you have valid VISA\GC\Naturalization document with unexpired passport.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Thanks for the info. I know I will not have issues at port of entry in US. I was only worried about the Airlines or Indian customs throwing arcane rules at you. Is there a document I could print out and carry with me which I could show them in such a situation.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

I have confirmed for sure that my Daughter will not have any issues. But my travel agent booking my tickets mentioned that someone in the same situation as my Wife faced a problem. The person did not have any issues entering India, but while coming back. This person had a green card and the Indian passport had 3 months left. I am not sure if it was the airline/immigration officials, but they said to travel out of India that person should have at least 6 months left.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedhar View Post
Immigration or Airline Guys do not have any RIGHT to ask or stop you...as long as you have valid VISA\GC\Naturalization document with unexpired passport.
They have RIGHT to stop you from boarding even if you have a "unexpired" passport. Read this.

When your valid passport isn't really valid - Travel - Travel Tips - msnbc.com

Old 11-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
mylife22 is on a distinguished road

Don't do it! You can't travel within 6 months of expiration.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute

No one can stop you from entering India for the Passport reason. NO ONE. You could have issues going anywhere but India with 6 months in the passport.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute Project_A has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have confirmed for sure that my Daughter will not have any issues. But my travel agent booking my tickets mentioned that someone in the same situation as my Wife faced a problem. The person did not have any issues entering India, but while coming back. This person had a green card and the Indian passport had 3 months left. I am not sure if it was the airline/immigration officials, but they said to travel out of India that person should have at least 6 months left.

I travelled with a passport that had <6 mo and did not face any issues while coming back from India/ at POE in USA. I believe there is an agreement between US and India to consider 6 additional months of allowance above and beyond the actual expiration date of the passport. Google and find the document, print and carry it – just in case if someone asks. Good luck with your travel.

-Project_A

Old 05-13-2012, 03:53 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
fish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
NSG - did your daughter have any problems entering India? thanks.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
fish is on a distinguished road

NSG - did your daughter have any problems entering India? thanks.