Many times people are requested to furnish proof of address along with their application. We have seen following places where applicants have been asked to submit proof of address
- Opening a Bank Account
- Applying for Credit Card
- Passport renewal
- Drivers License
Documents Useful as Proof Of Address
Documents listed below are generally accepted as proof of address
1) Payroll check stub issued by an employer within the last two
2) U.S. Internal Revenue Service tax reporting W-2 form or 1099
form (not more than 18 months old)
3) U.S. or state income tax return from the previous year.
Original monthly bank statement not more than two months old
issued by a bank
4) Annual Social Security statement for the current or preceding
5) Utility bill, not more than two months old, issued to the applicant
(examples include gas, electric, sewer, water, cable or phone bill).
Cellular phone and pager bills are not accepted.
6) Receipt for personal property taxes or real estate taxes paid within
the last year
7) Current automobile or life insurance bill (cards or policies are not
8) Certified copy of school records/transcript from a school in which
the applicant is currently enrolled, issued by a school accredited by
a U.S. state, jurisdiction, or territory (report cards are not
9) Voter registration card (for US citizens only)
10) Driver’s license, learner’s permit or DMV-issued photo ID cards
displaying the applicant’s current address
11) Current homeowners insurance policy or bill
12) Cancelled check (not more than two months old) with both name
and address imprinted
14) Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, or residential
15) U.S. Postal Service change of address confirmation form or
postmarked U.S. mail with forwarding address label (must display
the applicant’s full name)
Following documents might not be considered as proof of address by some agencies
- Bank Statement (not accepted by all)
- Cell Phone statements / bills
- Credit card statement / bills
Some institutions like DMV prefer that the proof of address document submitted should br printed on the stationery of the institution from which the document belonged. Example Electricity Bill should be printed by the electricity provider and mailed (by post) to subscriber. This is not possible if subscriber has opted for e-bill/ e-statements where user would log into the website and print the latest bill at his/ her computer. So it is recommended that least 2-3 of the above recommended documents be subscribed for paper billing so that if required user can submit the latest statements/ bills received in mail as proof of address.
Once you have your drivers license then this will be sufficient proof of address / age that you can use any where in US. But keeping some other document as proof of address will always be helpful.
Most institutions will provide a list of acceptable douments on their website. Also one can call their customer service help line in case one needs any clarifications.
Virginia DMV accepted documents list for proof of address