India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold WeShallOvercome is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by venram View Post
I suppose you are living in USA.

On the second option "non-resident alien", if you are residing in USA, then you are not considered as non-resident. So I would eliminate this option.

On the first option "non-permanent resident alien", if you are residing in USA, I would choose this as the right option. Since holding an H1B means that you are a temporary (non-permanent) resident alien. Holding an EAD does not allow you to stay here permanently. It is only a temporary authorization to allow you to work without H1B. Remember that it requires renewal every year.

To answer your question, you are a non-permanent resident alien.
Venram,

I'm afraid your understanding of the term 'resident' or 'non-resident' is not correct.

In US immigration jargon, a resident-alien is someone who lives and works in US on a permanent basis- like on a Green card.
The term non-resident here does not mean that you are not residing in the US. It only means that you are an alien, living and/or working in the US on a temporary basis, and you are not a (Permanent) resident.

Resident alien - An alien living here on a permanent basis
NonResident Alien - An alien living here on a temporary basis

I've never heard of the term 'non-permanent Resident alien'.. I think it is same as non-resident alien..

Chapter : WA

ATTENDED DC RALLY
Contacted Law-makers
Contributed $275 so far
Brought 3 new contributing members to IV
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote