India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallemery
I've seen both ends of abuse by employers of people here on H1-B visas who were applying for green cards: 1) Americans seeing their salaries cut with competion from H1-B visas cited as the reason, and 2) H1-B visas holders being denied benefits or pay, and then being shipped back just before they were expected to get their green cards. It's so bad that I got out of programming all together, as did a lot of other Americans I know.

My feeling is this: why not have employment based immigration tied to being employed vs. tied to a specific employer, especially given the abuse and backlogs under the current system? Why waste state tax dollars for departments of labors to verify salaries when allowing foreign workers to switch employers would provide a market based solution? I can tell you that from the side of American workers, there is a lot of resentment out there towards H1-B visas, but I think it is based on abuse by employers.

I'll try to set up a poll with this post, but tell me what you think: is retrogression the bigger problem, or is "employer based" immigration the bigger problem.

Hello randallemery,

Reading your two posts I am slightly confused. Your post says that your wife's I-485 is pending for last three years. And then you say that retrogression (i.e. delay in processing of Green Card) is not a more important issue than anything else.

The points mentioned in your post are a matter of perception. Here is how:

"Americans seeing their salaries cut with competition from H1-B visas cited as the reason,"
Well! How about this thought? H1B community contributed towards the technology boom. The technology boom contributed towards large number of jobs by creation of new ideas and companies who provide different kind of solutions. So if somebody wants the benefit of the progress in which H1B contributed and helped to increases the number of jobs to cause upward pressure to salaries, but do not like competition of capitalist society, don't you think they should revisit the shallow thought process? I am not saying that all the progress has happened only because of people on H1B. But I am suggesting that H1B and immigrant community did sizeable contribution towards the progress in technology. But few people whom you are quoting and who suggest that there has been cut in salaries with competition from H1B visas, these people has superficial thought process without deeper understanding of the issue. This is our take.

Anyway, this forum is not created to discuss if H1B is good or bad. That is not the objective. And even though there maybe people who think otherwise due to whatever personal or other reasons, the question here is about Retrogression and the people who suffer due to delay in green card process including the huge lines in the back log labor centers. I would urge you to not try to distract people here from the larger issue that we have in front of us.

"H1-B visas holders being denied benefits or pay, and then being shipped back just before they were expected to get their green cards."
In every relationship there is give and take. And wherever there is employer-employee relationship some people will be dissatisfied and some may feel abused. I am not denying that there may have never been any abuse. But allow me to ask you this, how about the abuse of the non-H1B worker by their employer. Nobody talks of that. Why? You don't think that it happens. And simply using the pretext of "ABUSE" to target H1B and the whole H1B program or using the pretext of "downward pressure on salaries" by people who are afraid of competition or who are not actually fit for a capitalist society but want to reap all the benefits from it but who wants to blame everybody other than themselves for all their problems is simply the worst form of laziness. "Abuse" is not something limited to H1B employee-employer relationship. It expands to all forms of employee-employer relationship. And simply choosing selective from the list of examples and then using them to substantiate and argument that is based on superficial ideas is simply doesn't help. We have seen discussion on the issue by anti-immigrants on different forums who have diverted the problems caused due to retrogression into totally different subject matter. I would request you to please not attempt that on this forum and cause distraction. And if that is not the intent then please accept my apologize.

Thanks,
-WP

Last edited by WaldenPond; 01-16-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote