I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
indio0617 has a spectacular aura about indio0617 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallemery
WP,

Well said. I think you did the right thing in saying what you did, because you need to stand up to the anti-immigrant sentiment. Believe me, no offense is taken from your reply. It wasn't my intent to come off that way originally, and I apologize if I offended anyone.

The reason I brought up H1B visas is because, at least to my understanding, the issue of retrogression issues with green card holders has to do with the quotas and only applies to people who come over on H1 visas (mostly H1B) and apply for a green card.

For my wife, the issue is either a delay with USCIS or the FBI name check. There is no quota issue because I'm a citizen.

I'd also like to clarify what I meant by abuse. From my side, as a citizen, I was once told that I would only be paid 50% of what I was offered the week before, at the same customer, because I was "competing with other firms who employed H1-B visa holders" and charged much less. The customer really wanted me back, and explained that it was purely financial. The problem for me was that 30% of my rate was for expenses, so this amounted to a real cut in my salary by over 80%. I knew that the H1-B visa holders had to have been hired at illegally low prices under prevailing wage laws. But could I do, sue the competing companies? I didn't even know who they were. Pretty soon all the agencies started doing the same thing. So in 2002, I made less than 20% of what I did in 2001.

I then went back to being a regular employee vs. an independent, where I got to see a whole office laid off, including people who were brought over here, just bought a house, and had kids. Those people had H1-B visas and were applying for green cards. It was aweful.

Anyway, I brought up "employer based" immigration, as I called it, because retrogression (again, as I understand it) focuses solely on employment based immigration. I'm trying to see if there is a common ground in different communities affected by current immigration policies, including family based immigrants and American workers who've been subjected to the kind of low-balling I experienced.

For my part, I am completely shocked at what is going on with immigration. I had no idea how bad it was. But when I saw the aftermath of Katrina, I started seeing immigration as part of a larger, systemic problem with the Department of Homeland Security. I think there is a real opportunity for a general set of principles that a very large (and very motivated) group of people could agree upon. If a mjority of people feel that "employer based" immigration is really the issue, it would signal to me that this could form part of just such a set of principles.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting this group change its mission, but I would like to see if there is an opportunity for coalition building.

Regards,
Randall
Hi randallemery.

Your points of view and perspective is well taken. The essence of the argument w.r.t the current immigration system in this country is that it is highly flawed and begs for a rational and commonsense approach.

So often our legitimate issues have invited the wrath of rabid ant - immigrant sentiments. The need of the hour is for everyone who are affected directly or indirectly to analyse it objectively.

Last edited by indio0617; 01-09-2006 at 01:02 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote